If you are requesting a visa through Harvard University, we will first need:
1. Completed FCIS form
2. Funding documents to cover all costs e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Copy of your passport biographic page e-mailed to email@example.com
4. $20 FedEx shipping fee (optional)
1. There are two ways to submit the FCIS form. You can choose from the following:
A. Complete the Financial Certification Form online. Instructions are included on the form. In addition to completing and submitting this form, you will need to submit documentation as described in the instructions to our office regarding your funding sources.
B. If you are unable to complete the online form, please email admissions for a writable PDF version with accompanying instructions. Again, you will need to submit documentation to our office regarding your funding sources. Please complete, print, and sign the PDF before sending.
We require that all students mail or scan the FCIS form and supporting financial documentation to the Admissions Office. We will not accept faxed copies, and incomplete forms will not be processed.
2. Determining what you will need to certify:
All personal funds must be held in the student’s name, in US dollars (no conversions), and in a US bank or bank with US branches. More information regarding opening a US bank account can be found below.
While filling out either the online or PDF form, please view the HSPH Required Levels of Support for Visa Certification showing amounts for certification. If you are starting in the summer (as a degree or non-degree student), please view the Summer Cost of Attendance.
3. The passport biographic page can be scanned to the Admissions Office along with your financial documents.
4. If you would like to have your I-20/DS-2019 shipped by express mail (FedEx), please pay a $20 visa handling fee. This will allow a tracking number to be assigned to your documents. Without this payment, documents will be sent via regular mail and there will be no tracking number available.
Any questions regarding these documents can be address to the Admissions Office (617-432-1031)
Any questions regarding immigration, visa application, traveling, or the embassy can be directed to the HIO.
Boston-area banks that will open accounts for students prior to arrival:
1. As of May 6, Citizens is no longer opening accounts for international students, we hope to have an update soon. Citizens Bank: c/o John Paul Gomes, Assistant Manager, Brigham Circle Branch, 1628 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02120. To open an account, please call Mr. Gomes at 617-566-8076 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. His backup contact is Judith: Judith.Cruz@citizensbank.com.
Additional resources and materials:
- Transfer In to Harvard Form
- Harvard International Office
- Harvard International Office Settling In at Harvard
- HIO Guide for New Students
- Visa Types
- Health Care and Insurance
- Hosting Program for International Students and invitation
- Recording of the Admitted Student Open House (2013) Information Session for International Students
- HSPH Professional Communication Seminar (PCS): This program aims to help students sharpen their academic and communication skills in the week right before orientation (August 17–25, 2014)