Bicycle Commuter Benefit
Starting in 2013, Harvard University’s CommuterChoice program will be offering reimbursement for bicycle expenses under the Bicycle Commuter Benefits Act! Bicycle commuters are eligible for tax-free reimbursement of up to $20/month at a maximum of $240/year for the costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage.
For more information, visit the Commuter Choice website.
Frequently asked questions
- What if I purchase something that is $40? Can I spread that out across 2 months?
- Yes, but only IF the user participated for at least TWO months in the bicycle commuter benefit program (which means the user did NOT enroll in any other commuting benefit for those two months – such as parking, mass transit, or carpooling).
- What types of expenses are allowed?
- Reasonable expenses include the purchase of a bicycle, as well as bicycle improvements, repair, and storage. Until they receive additional guidance, the purchase of apparel or Hubway memberships are not covered. If you have specific questions about the eligibility of an item, please contact the Commuter Choice office first prior to purchase.
- Who can participate in this program?
- This is open to benefits-eligible employees who work 17.5 hours or more per week. The same eligibility guidelines exist for all of transportation benefits.