Sc.D., Harvard School of Public Health, 2012
A.B., Washington University in St. Louis, 2008
My research is focused on maternal and child health, nutrition, and chronic disease. I am interested in how diet throughout the life course affects risk of breast cancer and chronic disease risk factors like obesity.
My doctoral dissertation used data from the Bogotá School Children Cohort and the Project Viva pre-birth cohort to assess the associations between perinatal nutritional factors and several child health outcomes including weight gain and adiposity, DNA methylation, and cognition.
I am currently working with data from the Nurses’ Health Study, the Nurses’ Health Study II, and the Growing Up Today Study (GUTS) to assess associations between diet and breast cancer incidence and mortality.
- Boeke CE, Eliassen AH, Oh H, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Tamimi RM. Adolescent physical activity in relation to breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment; 2014 Mar 30 [Epub ahead of print].
- Boeke CE,* Storfer-Isser A,* Redline S, Taveras EM. Childhood sleep duration and quality in relation to leptin concentration in two cohort studies. SLEEP 2014; 37(3):613-20. *These authors contributed equally and should be considered co-first-authors.
- Hernández-Díaz S, Boeke CE, Romans AT, Young B, Margulis AV, McElrath TF, Ecker JL, Bateman BT. Triggers of spontaneous preterm delivery- Why today? Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 2014;28(2)79-87.
- Boeke CE, Oken E, Kleinman KP, Rifas-Shiman SL, Taveras E, Gillman MW. Correlations among adiposity measures in school-aged children. BMC Pediatrics 2013;13(99).
- Boeke CE, Gillman MW, Hughes MD, Rifas-Shiman SL, Villamor E, Oken E. Choline intake during pregnancy and child cognition at age 7 years. American Journal of Epidemiology 2013.
- Boeke CE, Mantzoros CS, Hughes MD, Villamor E, Zera CA, Gillman MW. Differential associations of leptin with adiposity across early childhood. Obesity 2013.
- Burris HH, Rifas-Shiman SL, Baccarelli A, Boeke CE, Kleinman K, Litonjua AA, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Associations of LINE-1 (“Global”) DNA methylation with preterm birth in a prospective cohort study. Journal of the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease 2012;3:173-181.
- Boeke CE, Baccarelli A, Kleinman KP, Burris HH, Litonjua AA, Rifas-Shiman SL, Tarantini L, Gillman MW. Dietary intake of methyl donors during pregnancy and global LINE-1 DNA methylation in maternal and cord blood. Epigenetics 2012;7(3):253-260.
- Boeke CE, Marín C, Oliveros H, Mora-Plazas M, Agudelo-Cañas S, Villamor E. Validity of maternal birthweight recall among Colombian children. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2012;16(4):753-759.
- Boeke CE, Mora-Plazas M, Forero Y, Villamor E. Intestinal protozoan infections in relation to nutritional status and gastrointestinal morbidity in Colombian school children. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2010;56(5):299-306.
- Boeke CE, Pauly ME, Stock HH, Pavlis S, Jackson JB. The association of gender, age, body mass index, and vital signs in healthy plateletpheresis donors. Transfusion and Apheresis Science 2009;41(3):175-178.
- Boeke CE, Jackson JB. Estimate of infant HIV-free survival at 6-8 weeks of age due to maternal ARV prophylaxis in sub-Saharan Africa- 2004 and 2005. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care 2008;7(3):133-140.
- Boeke CE, Pauly ME, Stock HH, Jackson JB. CMV antibody prevalence and seroincidence in plateletpheresis donors. Journal of Clinical Apheresis 2008;23(2):63-65.