I was trained in the epidemiology, biostatistics and social behaviors. My current research is focused on epidemiology of HIV; social-ecological determinants of HIV risks; quantitative and qualitative methods; community-based participatory interventions and cost-effectiveness among vulnerable, hidden, and high-risk populations.
1. Hao C, Liu H, Sherman SG, et al. Typology of older female sex workers and sexual risks for HIV infection in China: a qualitative study. Culture, Health &Sexuality. 2013. DOI:10.1080/13691058.2013.826820
2. Hao C, Lau JT, Zhao X, et al. Associations between characteristics of the peer social network of significant others and risk of HIV transmission among men who have sex with men in China. AIDS and Behavior. 2013. doi:10.1007/s10461-013-0492-2.
3. Hao C, Huan X, Yan H, et al. A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the relative efficacy of enhanced versus standard Voluntary Counseling and Testing on promoting condom use among men who have sex with men in China. AIDS and Behavior. 2012 Jul; 16(5): 1138-47.
4. Hao C, Yan H, Yang H, et al. The incidence of syphilis and HCV and associated factors in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Nanjing, China. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2011;87(3):199- 201.
5. †Huan X, †Hao C, Yan H, et al. High prevalence of HIV and syphilis among men who have sex with men recruited by respondent-driven sampling in a city in Eastern China. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2013. doi:10.1177/1010539513480230 †Yang H and Hao C contributed equally to the manuscript.
6. †Yang H, †Hao C, Huan X, et al. HIV incidence and associated factors in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Nanjing, China. Sexually transmitted Diseases. 2010; 37(4): 208-213. †Yang H and Hao C contributed equally to the manuscript.
7. Rai MA, Zhang Y, Yindom LM, Holmes J, Yu LM, Hao C, Rostron T, Yan H, Zhang YL, Cai C, McMichael AJ, Dong T, Rowland-Jones SL, Blais ME, Xu KY. HLA correlates in a cohort of slow progressors from china: effects on HIV-1 disease progression. AIDS. 2013 Aug 12. DOI: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000011
8. Qian HZ, Hao C, Ruan Y, et al. Impact of methadone on drug use and risky sex in China. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.2008 Jun; 34(4): 391-397.
9. Wang Z, Lau JT, Hao C, et al. Syphilis-related perceptions not associated with risk behaviors among men who have sex with men having regular male sex partner(s) in Nanjing, China. AIDS Care. 2012. (In press)
10. Lau JT, Zhao JK, Wu X, Gu J, Hao C. Gay saunas and the risks of HIV and syphilis transmissions in China – results of a meta-analysis. The Journal of Sex Medicine. Oct 11, 2012. DOI: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02956.x
11. Gu J, Xu H, Lau JT, Hao Y, Zhong Y, Fan L, Zhao Y, Hao C, Ling W. Misconceptions predict prospectively dropout and poor adherence among newly admitted first-time methadone maintenance treatment clients in Guangzhou, China. Addiction.2012; 107 (9): 1641-9.
12. Gu J, Zhong Y, Hao Y, Zhou D, Tsui H, Hao C, Gao Q, Ling W, Lau JT. Preventive Behaviors and Mental Distress in Response to H1N1 Among University Students in Guangzhou, China. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2012. (In press)
13. Xu H, Gu J, Lau JT, Zhong Y, Fan L, Zhao Y, Hao C, He W, Ling W. Misconceptions toward methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) and associated factors among new MMT users in Guangzhou, China. Addictive Behaviors. 2012; 37(5): 657-62.
14. Lau JT, Cai W, Tsui HY, Chen L, Cheng J, Lin C, Gu J, Hao C. Unprotected anal intercourse behavior and intention among male sex workers in Shenzhen serving cross-boundary male clients coming from Hong Kong, China – prevalence and associated factors. AIDS Care. 2012; 24(1): 59-70.
15. Lau JT, Yan H, Lin C, Zhang J, Choi KC, Wang Z, Hao C, Huan X, Yang H. How Willing are Men Who Have Sex with Men in China to be Circumcised for the Sake of Protecting His Female Sex Partner? Journal of Sex Medicine. 2012; 9 (7): 1904-1912.
16. Lau JT, Lin C, Hao C, Wu X, Gu J. Public health challenges of the emerging HIV epidemic among men who have sex with men in China. Public Health. 2011; 125(5): 260-5.
17. Lau JT, Zhang J, Yan H, Lin C, Choi KC, Wang Z, Hao C, Huan X, Yang H. Acceptability of circumcision as a means of HIV prevention among men who have sex with men in China. AIDS Care. 2011; 23(11):1472-82.
18. Ruan Y, Li D, Li X, Qian HZ, Shi W, Zhang X, Yang Z, Zhang X, Wang C, Liu Y, Yu M, Xiao D, Hao C, Xing H, Hong K, Shao Y. Relationship between syphilis and HIV infections among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China. Sexually transmitted Diseases. 2007; 34(8): 592-7.
19. Yin L, Qin G, Ruan Y, Qian HZ, Hao C, Xie L, Chen K, Zhang Y, Xia Y, Wu J, Lai S, Shao Y. Nonfatal overdose among heroin users in southwestern China. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2007;33 (4):505-16.
20. Ruan Y, Qin G, Yin L, Chen K, Qian HZ, Hao C, Liang S, Zhu J, Xing H, Hong K, Shao Y. Incidence of HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B viruses among injection drug users in southwestern China: a 3-year follow-up study. AIDS. 2007 Dec;21 Suppl 8:S39-46.
21. Ruan Y, Cao X, Qian HZ, Zhang L, Qin G, Jiang Z, Song B, Hu W, Liang S, Chen K, Yang Y, Li X, Wang J, Chen X, Hao C, et al. Syphilis among female sex workers in southwestern China: potential for HIV transmission. Sexually transmitted Diseases.2006; 33(12): 719-723.