91. Vardavas C, Filippidis F, Agaku I. Determinants and prevalence of e-cigarette use throughout the European Union: a secondary analysis of 26,566 youth and adults from 27 Countries. Tobacco Control. 2014 In press
90. Agaku IT, Filippidis FT, Vardavas CI, Odukoya OO, Awopegba AJ, Ayo-Yusuf OA, Connolly GN. Poly-tobacco use among adults in 44 countries during 2008-2012: Evidence for an integrative and comprehensive approach in tobacco control. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 [Epub ahead of print]
89. Tsalapati K, Vardavas C, Athanasakis K, Thireos E, Vozikis A. Pavi E, Behrakis P, Kyriopoulos I. Going up in ashes? Smoking attributable morbidity, hospital admissions and expenditure in Greece. Eur J Public Health. 2014 In press
88. Filippidis F, Schoretsaniti F, Dimitrakaki C, Vardavas C, Behrakis P, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Trends in cardiovascular risk factors in Greece before and during the financial crisis: the impact of social disparities. Eur J Public Health. 2014 In press
87. Matsunaga Y, Vardavas CI, Plada M, Wärnberg J, Gómez-Martinez S, Tzatzarakis M, Tsatsakis AM, Díaz E, PhD; Marcos A, Kafatos A. The relationship between cotinine concentrations and cytokines/endothelial inflammatory markers among highly secondhand smoke exposed adolescents. Cytokines. 2014 Epub ahead of print.
86. Cohen G, Vardavas C, Patelarou E, Kogevinas M, Katz-Salamon M. Adverse circulatory effects of passive smoking during infancy: surprisingly strong, manifest early, easily avoided. Acta Paediatr. 2013 Dec 12. Epub ahead of print
85. Filippidis F, Agaku I, Connolly G, Vardavas C. Trends in Age Verification among U.S. Adolescents Attempting to Buy Cigarettes at Retail Stores, 2000-2009. Preventive medicine. 2014. In press
84. Agaku IT, Ayo-Yusuf OA, Vardavas CI, Alpert HR, Connolly GN. Use of conventional and novel smokeless tobacco products among US adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013 Sep;132(3):e578-86.
83. Schoretsaniti S, Filippidis FT, Vardavas CI, Dimitrakaki C, Behrakis P, Connolly GN, Tountas Y. 5-Year trends in the intention to quit smoking amidst the economic crisis and after recently implemented tobacco control measures in Greece. Addict Behav. 2013 Sep 20. doi:pii: S0306-4603(13)00274-8.
82. Schoretsaniti S. Filippidis F, Vardavas CI, Tzavara C, Dimitrakaki C, Behrakis P, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Prevalence and determinants of SHS exposure in public and private areas after the 2010 smokefree legislation in Greece. Int J Env Health Res. 2013 Sep 17. [Epub ahead of print]
81. Agaku I, Vardavas C. Disparities and Trends in Indoor Exposure to Secondhand Smoke among U.S Middle and High School Students. PLOS ONE. 2013. In press
80. Agaku IT, Vardavas CI, Ayo-Yusuf OA, Alpert HR, Connolly GN. Temporal trends in smokeless tobacco use among US middle and high school students, 2000-2011. JAMA. 2013; 309(19):1992-4.
79. Vardavas CI, Agaku I, Patelarou E, Anagnostopoulos N, Nakou C, Dramba V, Giourgouli G, Argyropoulou P, Antoniadis A, Gourgoulianis K, Ourda D, Lazuras L, Bertic M, Lionis C, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Ashtrays and signage as determinants of a smoke-free legislation’s success. PLOS ONE-13-02752
78. Vardavas C, Girvalaki C, Lazuras L, Triantafylli D, Lionis, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Changes in tobacco industry advertising around high schools in Greece following an outdoor advertising ban: a follow up study. Tobacco Control. 2013 In press PMID: 23132812
77. Kougias M, Vardavas C, Anagnostopoulos N, Matsunaga Y, Tzwrtzi A, Lymberi M, Connolly G, Behrakis P.The acute effect of cigarette smoking on respiratory function and FENO production among young smokers. Experimental Lung Research 2013 Oct;39(8):359-64
76. Agaku, IT, Vardavas CI, Connolly G. Cigarette rod length and its impact on serum cotinine and urinary total NNAL levels, NHANES 2007-2010. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2013 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
75. Agaku I, Ayo-Yusuf O, Vardavas C, Connolly G. Predictors and patterns of cigarette and smokeless tobacco use among adolescents in 32 Countries, 2007-2011. Journal of Adolescent Health 2013. doi:pii: S1054-139X(13)00419-9
74. Vardavas CI, Fthenou E, Patelarou E, Bagkeris E, Murphy S, Hecht S, Connolly G, Chatzi L, Kogevinas M. Exposure to different sources of second-hand smoke (SHS) during pregnancy and its effect on urinary cotinine and tobacco specific nitrosamine (NNAL) concentrations. Tobacco Control 2013 [Epub ahead of print]
73. Agaku IT, Vardavas C, Connolly GN. A Proposed Cut-Off for Identifying Adult Smokeless Tobacco Users with Urinary Total 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanonol (NNAL): an aggregated analysis of NHANES 2007-2010 data. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2013 Nov;15(11):1956-61.
72. Alpert HR, Vardavas CI, Chaloupka FJ, Vozikis A, Athanasakis K, Kyriopoulos I, Bertic M, Behrakis PK, Connolly GN. The recent and projected public health and economic benefits of cigarette taxation in Greece. Tob Control. 2013 Mar 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23467654
71. Girvalaki C, Vardavas C, Tsimpinos G, Dimitrelli G, Hassapidou M, Kafatos A. Nutritional and Chemical Quality of Traditional Spreads and Pies of the Mediterranean diet of Greece. Journal of Food & Nutritional Disorders. 2013;2:1
70. Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis EK, Lionis C. Dealing with tobacco use and dependence within primary health care: time for action. Tob Induc Dis. 2013 Feb 26;11(1):6.
69. Vardavas C, Connolly G. Dying for frequent flying miles? Tobacco Control 2013;22:80–83
68. Christophi C, Paisi M, Pampaka D, Kehagias M, Vardavas C, Connolly G. The impact of the Cyprus comprehensive smoking ban on air quality and economic business of hospitality venues. BMC Public Health 2013 Jan 27;13:76
67. Hohmann C , Govarts E, Bergström A, Cordier S, Eggesbo M , Guxens M, Heinrich J , Kasper – Sonnenberg M, Kogevinas M, Neuman A, Ranft U , Tischer C , Vandentorren S, Vardavas C , Patelarou E, Wickman M, Trnovec T, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Keil T , Bonde J. Joint Data Analyses of European Birth Cohorts: Two Different Approaches. Webmed Central Epidemiology, 2012; 3(12):WMC003869
66. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, Evangelopoulou V, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK.Acute pulmonary effects of sidestream secondhand smoke at simulated car concentrations. Xenobiotica. 2013 Jun;43(6):509-13.
65. Vardavas CI, Filippidis FT, Agaku I, Mytaras V, Bertic M, Connolly GN, Tountas Y, Behrakis P.Tobacco taxation: the importance of earmarking the revenue to health care and tobacco control. Tob Induc Dis. 2012 Dec 27;10(1):21.
64. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, Evangelopoulou V, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK. Short-term pulmonary effects of using an electronic cigarette: impact on respiratory flow resistance, impedance, and exhaled nitric oxide. Chest 2012;141(6):1400-6.
63. Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Greece: consumption down at last. Tobacco Control 2012 [In press]
62. Agaku I, Connolly G, Alpert H, Adisa A, Vardavas C. Concurrent smokeless tobacco and cigarette among Nigerian adolescents: an emerging epidemic. Journal of substance use. 2013 [In press]
61. Filippidis F, Vardavas CI, Behrakis P, Schoretsaniti S, Dimitrakaki C, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Prevalence and determinants of tobacco use among adults in Greece: 4 year trends. Eur J Public Health. 2013. [In press]
60. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Patelarou E, Minas M, Nakou C, Dramba V, Giourgouli G, Bagkeris E, Gourgoulianis K, Pattaka P, Antoniadis A, Lionis C, Bertic M, Dockery D, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK. Five-Year Trends of Second-Hand Smoke Exposure in Greece: A Comparison Between Complete, Partial, and Prelegislation Levels. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2012 Dec;25(6):349-54
59. Tsiligianni I, Vardavas CI, Bouloukaki I, Kosmas E, Verigou E, Kiriakaki M, Siafakas N, Tzanakis N. The association between alcohol and tobacco use among elementary and high school students in Crete, Greece. Tob Induc Dis. 2012; 10(1):15.
58. Hatzis CM, Papandreou C, Vardavas CI, Athanasopoulos D, Balomenaki E, Kafatos AG. Atherogenic risk factors among preschool children in Crete, Greece. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 16(5):809-14.
57. Patelarou E, Girvalaki C, Brokalaki H, Patelarou A, Androulaki Z, Vardavas C. Current evidence on the associations of breastfeeding, infant formula, and cow’s milk introduction with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2012; 70(9):509-19.
56. Brokalaki H, Patelarou E, Vardavas C, Elefsiniotis I, Giakoumidakis K, Brokalaki E. Current patterns of the sun protection measures adopted by nurses and the risk factors influencing their compliance. Open Journal of Nursing 2012 [In press]
55. Avlonitou E, Kapsimalis F, Varouchakis G, Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Adherence to CPAP Therapy improves Quality of Life and reduces symptoms among Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome Patients. Sleep and Breathing. 2012; 16(2):563-9
54. Vardavas CI, Behrakis P, Connolly G. Beware tobacco companies’ spurious financial arguments. BMJ 2011; 342:d1145 (letter)
53. Rosen LJ, Guttman N, Hovell MF, Noach MB, Winickoff JP, Tchernokovski S, Rosenblum JK, Rubenstein U, Seidmann V, Vardavas CI, Klepeis NE, Zucker DM. Development, design, and conceptual issues of project zero exposure: A program to protect young children from tobacco smoke exposure BMC Public Health. 2011; 11:508.
52. Loukopoulou A, Vardavas CI, Farmakides G, Rossolymos C, Chrelias C, Tzatzarakis M , Tsatsakis A, Lymberi M, Connolly GN, Behrakis P. Design and study protocol of the Maternal Smoking Cessation during Pregnancy study, (M-SCOPE). BMC Public Health 2011; 11:903.
51. Lionis C, Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis E, Papadakaki M, Anastasiou F, Antonopoulou M, Apostolakis C, Dimitrakopoulos S, Fountakis F, Grammatikopoulos I, Komninos J, Kounalakis D, Ladoukaki E, Makri K, Petraki C, Ploumis N, Prokopiadou D, Stefanaki I, Tsakountakis N, Tsiligianni I, Tzortzis E, Vasilaki A, Vasilopoulos T, Vrentzos G. Measuring the burden of herpes zoster and post herpetic neuralgia within primary care in rural Crete, Greece. BMC Family Medicine. 2011; 12:136.
50. Kroustallaki P, Tsimpinos G, Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Fatty acid composition of Greek margarines and their change in fatty acid content over the past decades. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2011; 62:685-9
49. Vardavas CI, Seidenberg A. Connolly G. Regulating duty free sales and tobacco advertising in airports: a call for action. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2011; 9:7 (editorial)
48. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Ntzilepi P, Warren C, Barbouni A, kremastinou J, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Nursing education and beliefs towards tobacco cessation and control: a cross- sectional national survey (GHPSS) among nursing students in Greece. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2011; 9:4.
47. Vardavas CI, Flouris AD, Tsatsakis A, Kafatos AG, Saris WH. Does adherence to the Mediteranean diet have a protective effect against active and passive smoking? Public Health. 2011; 125(3): 121-8
46. Papadopoulos G, Vardavas CI, Limperi M, Linardis A, Georgoudis G and Behrakis P. Smoking cessation can improve quality of life among COPD patients: validation of the clinical COPD questionnaire into Greek. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2011; 11:13
45. Vardavas CI, Patelarou E, Grander M, Chatzi L, Palm B, Fthenou E, Roumeliotaki T, Koutis A, Kafatos A, Vrijheid M, Connolly G, Murphy S, Vahter M, Kogevinas M. The association between active/passive smoking and toxic metals among pregnant women in Greece. Xenobiotika 2011; 41(6):456-63
44. Tzatzarakis MN, Vardavas CI, Terzi I, Kavalakis M, Liesivuori J, Tsatsakis AM. The use of hair nicotine/cotinine as a method of monitoring exposure to tobacco constituents during infancy and adulthood. Human Experimental Toxicology. 2011 [Epub ahead of print]
43. KarabelaM, VardavasCI, TzatzarakisM, Tsatasakis A, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Relationship between indoor air quality and urinary cotinine levels among non smoking bar workers. Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery. 2011; 24(1):35-41
42. Vardavas CI, Dimitrakaki C, Schoretsaniti S, Patelarou E, Fillipides F, Connolly G, Tountas Y. The role of the non-smoker in enforcing smoke free laws. Journal of Public health policy 2011; 32(1):46-59
41. Papadaki A,Valsta LM, Lampi AM, Penalvo J, Adlercreutz H, Vardavas C, Kafatos A. Differences in nutrient intake during a Greek Orthodox Christian fasting and non-fasting week, as assessed by a food composition database and chemical analyses of 7-day weighed food samples. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2011; 24:22-28
40. Symvoulakis E, Vardavas CI, Fountouli P, Stavroulaki A, Antoniou KM, Duijker G, Tzatzarakis M, Sfiridaki K, Bolonaki E, Alegakis T, Tsatsakis A, Lionis C. Time interval from cigarette smoke exposure to blood donation and markers of inflammation: Should a smoking cut-off be designated? Xenobiotika 2010; 40(9):613-20
39. Vardavas CI, Patelarou E, Chatzi L, Roumeliotaki T, Sarri K, Murphy S, Koutis A, Kafatos A, Kogevinas M. Factors associated with active smoking, quitting and second-hand smoke exposure among pregnant women in Greece. Journal of Epidemiology. 2010; 20(5):355-62
38. Vardavas CI, Plada M, Tzatzarakis M.N, Marcos A, Warnberg J, Gomez-Martinez S, Breidenassel C, Tsatsakis A.M, Saris W.H, Moreno L.A, Kafatos A.G, On Behalf Of The Helena Heraklion Study Group. Passive smoking alters circulating naïve/memory lymphocyte T-cell subpopulations in children. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2010; 21(8):1171-8
37. Vardavas CI, Chatzi L, Patelarou E, Plana E, Sarri K, Kafatos A, Koutis A, Kogevinas M. Smoking and smoking cessation during early pregnancy and its effect on adverse pregnancy outcomes and fetal growth. European Journal of Pediatrics 2010; 169:741-748
36. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Saris W, Kafatos A. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors and dietary habits of Farmers from Crete 45 Years after the first description of the Mediterranean diet. Eur J Card Disease 2010; 17(4):440-6
35. Vardavas CI, Mangiaracina G, Behrakis P. “Environmentally friendly” brand promotion activities: Cigarette butt clean up campaigns. Tobacco Control 2010; 19(3):259.
34. Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis K, Connolly G, Patelarou E, Lionis C. What defines an effective anti-tobacco TV advertisement? A pilot study among Greek Adolescents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2010; 7(1):78-88
33. Vardavas CI. Key points in preventing tobacco use among adolescents. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2010; 8:1 (Editorial)
32. BouloukakiI, TsoumakidouM, Vardavas CI, Mitrouska I, Koutala E, Siafakas N, Tzanakis N. Maintained smoking cessation for 6 months equilibrates the percentage of sputum CD8+ lymphocyte cells with that of non-smokers. Mediators of Inflammation 2009:812102.
31. Lionis C, Symvoulakis M, Vardavas CI. Implementing family practice research in countries with limited resources and capacity: A stepwise model experienced in Crete, Greece. Family Practice. 2010; 27(1):48-54
30. Flouris AD, Vardavas CI, Metsios G, Tsatsakis A,Koutedaki Y.Biological evidence for the acute health effects of secondhand smoke exposure. American Journal of Physiology: Lung, Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 2010; 298(1):3-12
29. Vardavas CI, Panagiotakos D. The causal relationship between passive smoking and inflammation on the development of cardiovascular disease: a review of the evidence. Inflammation and Allergy-Drug Targets 2009; 8(5):328-33.
28. VardavasCI, LionisC, PolychronopoulosE, ZeimbekisA, BountzioukaV, StravopodisS, MetallinosG, Panagiotakos DB. The role of passive smoking on the prevalence of type II diabetes mellitus among elderly men and women living in Mediterranean islands: the MEDIS study. Diabetic Medicine 2010; 27(2):242-243
27. Vardavas CI, Tzatzarakis MN, Plada M, TsatsakisA, Papadaki A, Saris WH, MorenoL, KafatosAG, on behalf of the HELENA Heraklion Study Group. Biomarker evaluation of Greek adolescents’ exposure to second-hand smoke. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 2010; 29(6):459-66
26. Vardavas CI, Connolly G, Karamanolis K, Kafatos A.Preventing Adolescent Smoking Via Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels. European Journal of Public Health. 2009 19(2):212-7.
25. Vardavas CI, Papadaki A, Saris W, Kafatos A. Does adherence to the Mediterranean diet modify the impact of smoking on health? Public Health. 2009; 123(6):459-460
24. Lionis C, Symvoulakis EK, Markaki A, Vardavas C, Papadakaki M, Daniilidou N, Souliotis K, Kyriopoulos I. Integrated primary health care in Greece, a missing issue in the current health policy agenda: a systematic review. International Journal of Integrated Care. 2009; 9:e88
23. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Ntzilepi P, Sourtzi P. Nursing education and practice in a changing environment: the case of Greece. Nurse Education Today. 2009; 29(8):840-4
22. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Fioraki I, Alegakis T, Dafermou, M, Tzilepi P. Euthanasia in Greece: Greek Nurses involvement and attitudes. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2009;15(5):242-8.
21. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Does prolonged bottle use effect obesity indexes among preschool children? International Public Health Journal. 2009;1(2)
20. Vardavas CI, BouloukakiI, Linardakis M.K, Tzilepi P, TzanakisN, Kafatos A. Smoke free hospitals in Greece: Personnel perceptions, compliance and smoking habits. Tobacco Induced Diseases. 2009. 31;5(1):8
19. Vardavas CI, ConnollyG, Kafatos A. Geographical Information Systems as a Tool for Monitoring Tobacco Industry Advertising. Tobacco Control. 2009; 18(3):190-196
18. Vardavas CI, Kondilis B, Patelarou E, Akrivos D, Falagas M. Health Literacy And Sources Of Health Education Among Adolescents In Greece. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health 2009; 21(2):179-86
17. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Saris W, Kafatos A. Prevalence of Obesity and Physical Inactivity among Farmers from Crete (Greece), Four Decades after the Seven Countries Study. Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease 2009; 19(3): 156-162
16. Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Greece: Action at last. Tobacco Control. 2009; 18(2): 79-80
15. Mantziou V, Vardavas CI, Kletsiou E, Zaxos I, Priftis K.Predictors of childhood exposure to parental secondhand smoke in the house and family car. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2009; 6, 433-444
14. Symvoulakis E, Vardavas CI, Fountouli P. Policy Implications of Blood Donation in Adolescence.JAMA. 2008; 300 (15):1759-1760 (letter)
13. Vardavas CI, BouloukakiI, Linardakis M.K, Ntzilepi P, TzanakisN, Kafatos A. Secondhand smoke exposure and excess heart disease and lung cancer mortality among hospital staff in Crete, Greece: a case study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2008; 5(3):125-129
12. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Malliaraki N, Saris W, Kafatos A. Smoking Status in Relation to Serum and Dietary Vitamin and Micronutrient Concentrations. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2008,
11. Papadaki A, Vardavas C, Hatzis C, Kafatos A. Nutrient and food intake during a Greek Orthodox Fasting and non fasting week. Public Health Nutrition 2008; 11(10):1022-1029
10. Vardavas CI, Kondili B, Petsetaki E, Tountas Y, Kafatos A.G. Environmental Tobacco Smoke in hospitality venues in Greece. BMC Public Health 2007; 7(1):302
9. Vardavas CI, Athanasopoulos D, BalomenakiE, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Smoking habits of Greek preschool children’s parents. BMC Public Health 2007, 7:112
8. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Smoking policy and prevalence in Greece. European Journal of Public Health 2007; 17 (2): 211–213
7. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Bans on smoking in public places: Policy enforcement needed. The Lancet 2007; 370(9582): 133-134 (letter)
6. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Environmental Tobacco Smoke exposure in motor vehicles. Tobacco control. 2006; 15(5):415
5. Vardavas CΙ, Majchrzak D, Wagner K-H, Elmadfa I, Kafatos A. Lipid analysis of wild Cretan greens. Food Chemistry 2006; 99 (4): 822-834
4. Vardavas CI, Giannopoulos S, Kiriakakis M, Poulli K, Kafatos A. Fatty acid and salt content of snacks in the Cypriot market: A children’s and adolescents dietary hazard. Food Chemistry 2007; 101:924-931
3. Vardavas CΙ, Majchrzak D, Wagner K-H, Elmadfa I, Kafatos A. The antioxidant and phylloquinone content of wildly grown greens in Crete. Food Chemistry 2006; 99 (4): 813-821
2. Vardavas CI, Tzatzarakis M, Tsatsakis A, Athanasopoulos D, BalomenakiE, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Biomarkers of Passive Smoking among Greek Preschool Children. European Journal of Pediatrics 2006; 165(12): 891-6
1. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Greece’s tobacco policy: Another myth? The Lancet 2006; 367 (9521): 1485-1486 (letter)