Hello, I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Biostatistics at Harvard & Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. My Mentor is Dr. Giovanni Parmigiani.
The main focus of my current research is the formulation and analysis of mathematical models with applications to biology, and the development of new theoretical results in stochastic processes. My current applications are the evolutionary dynamics of cancer, drug resistance development, cancer genomics and stem cell dynamics.
I am the initiator and organizer of the Harvard Biomathematics Seminar, aiming at bringing together for the first time biomathematicians in various departments across Harvard’s Schools. The current schedule is found here.
Ph. D., Applied Mathematics, December 2010.
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA.
Mathematical Modeling of Drug Resistance and Cancer Stem Cells Dynamics.
Advisors: Prof. Doron Levy and Prof. Dmitry Dolgopyat.
M. A., Mathematics, June 2008.
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA.
Levy, Sato, Stable Processes and the Lamperti Representation.
Advisor: Prof. Dmitry Dolgopyat.
Publications & Manuscripts
(By date of submission, * if corresponding author)
12. Tomasetti C*, Dolgopyat D. Cancer as a multi-scale multi-type stochastic dynamical system, in preparation.
11. Tomasetti C*, Mullally A, Parmigiani G, Ebert B. On the effects of JAK2 V617F and TET2 mutations on stem cells dynamics, in preparation.
10. Tomasetti C*, Vogelstein B, Parmigiani G. Half or more of the somatic mutations in cancers of self-renewing tissues originate prior to tumor initiation, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, published ahead of print January 23, 2013, doi:10.1073/pnas.1221068110.
9. Tomasetti C*, Kantarjian H, Ramchandani R, Jabbour E, Quintas-Cardama A, Parmigiani G, Cortes J. The average baseline BCR-ABL levels are significantly higher in patients with resistance to dasatinib as first-line treatment for early chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia, submitted.
8. Tomasetti C*, Demetri GD, Parmigiani G. The origin of TKI resistance in GIST, submitted.
7. Tomasetti C*. Stochastic modeling of multiple random genetic mutations under the cancer stem cell hypothesis, Mathematical Population Studies 2012, 19(4):200-213.
6. Tomasetti C*. A new hypothesis: imatinib affects leukemic stem cells in the same way it affects all other leukemic cells, Blood Cancer J 2011, 1:e19; doi:10.1038/bcj.2011.17.
5. Tomasetti C*. On the probability of random genetic mutations for various types of tumor growth, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 2012, 74(6):1379-1395.
4. Tomasetti C*, Levy D. Role of symmetric and asymmetric division of stem cells in developing drug resistance, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2010, 107(39):16766-16771.
3. Galante A, Levy D, Tomasetti C*. A mathematical model for microenvironmental control of tumor growth, IFMBE Proceedings 2010, eds Herold KE, Vossoughi J, Bentley WE, Springer, Berlin, 32.
2. Tomasetti C*, Levy D. Drug resistance always depends on the turnover rate, IFMBE Proceedings 2010, eds Herold KE, Vossoughi J, Bentley WE, Springer, Berlin, 32.
1. Tomasetti C*, Levy D. An elementary approach to modeling drug resistance in cancer, Math Biosci Eng 2010, 7(4):905-918.
Tomasetti C. Drug resistance. In Corey S, Kimmel M, eds. A Systems Approach to Blood. New York: Springer Verlag, submitted.
Talks & Presentations
Course Instructor (invited) for the Seventh q-bio Summer School on Cancer, Santa Fe, Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM – July 2013
Bioinformatics Seminar. Department of Mathematics, MIT, Cambridge, MA – Spring 2013
Special Session on Stochastic and Functional Analysis (invited). Joint Mathematics Meetings. San Diego, CA – January 2013
Harvard Applied Mathematics (WAM) Seminar. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA – November 2012
Cancer Genome Workgroup Meeting (invited). Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, MA – November 2012
Probability Seminar. Department of Mathematics, University of Maryland, College Park, MD – October 2012
International Conference on Stochastic Processes in Systems Biology, Genetics and Evolution (invited). Department of Statistics and the Center for Theoretical Biological Physics, Rice University, Houston, TX – August 2012
Leukemia Planning Conference (invited). University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX – August 2012
Gordon Research Conference on Drug Resistance (invited). Stonehill College, Easton, MA – July 2012
Computational Biology Intergroup meeting. Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA – June 2012
Program In Quantitative Genomics Seminar (invited). Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA – November 2011
Institute of Applied Mathematics, HGS Mathematical and Computational Methods for the Sciences (invited). University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany – July 2011
8th European Conference on Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ECMTB) and Annual Meeting for the Society of Mathematical Biology (SMB). Krakow, Poland – June 2011
35th Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA2011). Oaxaca, Mexico – June 2011
Dana-Farber BCB Retreat. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA – May 2011
Branching Processes and Derived Processes: Transient and Asymptotic Behaviors (invited). Centre International de Rencontres Mathematiques (CIRM), Luminy, France – April 2011
Semiparametric Bayesian Inference: Applications in Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics (poster).
SAMSI, Research Triangle Park, NC – July 2010
UMD – NCI Partnership for Cancer Technology (poster). National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD – June 2010
Applied Mathematics Seminar (invited). Mathematics Department, George Washington University, Washington D.C. – May 2010
Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference. University of Maryland, College Park, MD – May 2010
Seminario del Centro di Riferimento Oncologico (invited). Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Aviano (PN), Italy – February 2010
First International Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Systems Biology (poster). Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel – January 2010
Frontiers in Basic Immunology (poster). National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD – October 2009
AMSC Student Seminar. Mathematics Department, University of Maryland, College Park, MD – September 2009
International Conference on Mathematical Biology and Annual Meeting of the Society for Mathematical Biology. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada – July 2009
Math-Biology Workshop on Building an Interdisciplinary Career (poster). Mathematics Department, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT – May 2009