About the Program
Our mission is to bring together scientists from across Boston with expertise in the epidemiology of cardiovascular diseases and related health conditions, including scientists with observational, clinical trial, biological, and policy perspectives.
A. To determine the etiologies of and effective preventive measures for cardiovascular disease.
B. To consider as outcomes coronary heart disease, acute coronary syndrome, stroke, congestive heart failure, sudden cardiac death, atrial fibrillation, peripheral arterial disease, and thromboembolic disease.
C. To take advantage of complementary strengths of observational, metabolic, and clinical trial paradigms, and foster translational collaborations with animal and cellular investigations.
D. To expand understanding of cardiovascular disease determinants and prevention in both U.S. and international settings.
Opportunities and Benefits
- Stimulate new research ideas and collaborations.
- Break down barriers – minimize the “silo” approach and “expand the hallway” for conversations.
- Improve coordination and communication by means of the website, Friday Forums, and other activities.
- Engender new grant proposals and partnerships.
- Leverage complementary strengths and augment likelihood of funding.
- Increase numbers and success of grant applications by junior faculty.
- Improve and streamline applications.
Training and Mentoring
- Facilitate across-group collaborations by clinical and research fellows and pre- and post-doctoral students.
- Expand funding and positions for fellows and post-docs.
- Provide mentoring network for students, fellows, and junior faculty.
- Contribute to curriculum in cardiovascular epidemiology for masters and doctoral students at HSPH.
- Contribute to curriculum in cardiovascular epidemiology for medical students at HMS.
- Develop a summer curriculum in cardiovascular epidemiology for clinical fellows.
- Potential future support for pilot projects or research fellowship positions.
- Potential future staff or administrative support.