Mission, Goals & Activities:
To initiate and support activities that increase diversity and promote cultural competency among members of the HSPH community.
Recruitment: to enhance student, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty recruitment by working with respective HSPH offices.
- Assist with diversity related recruitment strategies planned by the Office of Admissions;
- Assist HSPH departments with their goals and approaches to increase diversity;
- Provide mentoring support for minority students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty members.
Cultural Competence: to promote cultural competency within the HSPH community.
- Host/sponsor cultural activities and events that raise awareness and take advantage of the diversity of students, staff, and faculty;
- Support and promote participation in diversity related activities and events within HSPH, Harvard University, and the Boston metro area;
- Review statistics on diversity related matters in order to determine appropriate educational training and awareness programs;
- Assist departments with establishing benchmarks for cultural competence;
- Develop a bias-motivated response protocol to identify episodes of intolerance;
- Recognize and promote best practices of inclusive excellence at the department level as well as the individual level.
Representation: to participate in activities that represent the HSPH diversity mission within the school, Harvard community, and nationally.
- Participate in HSPH diversity related committees such as the Committee for Concerned Women Faculty and Faculty Diversity Committee;
- Present the Office of Diversity’s mission and activities to students, administrators, faculty, and alumni;
- Present HSPH’s diversity activities to the Harvard community and at national conferences.
Monitor: report the progress of diversity at HSPH.
- Collect, analyze, and provide recommendations on diversity initiatives to the schools administration;
- Assist with reporting requests/requirements on diversity matters from the schools’ administration, faculty, and governing bodies;
- Report on HSPH’s diversity progress to the University’s Chief Diversity Officer and other university constituents.
Follow us on Facebook! Office of Diversity and Inclusion – Harvard School of Public Health