Computers & Equipment
- Set your computer to go into sleep mode. You can download the sleep software settings at ENERGYSTAR Monitor Power Management
- Turn off all computers, lights, and other equipment when not in use.
- Buy ENERGYSTAR qualified computers, printers, faxes, and other equipment.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)
Heating or Cooling Season
- Turn your thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer. In the winter, keep your heat set to 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit. Keeping your thermostat set to 85 degrees is a waste of energy and money.
- Turn your heat down when you go to sleep and when leaving your apartment.
- Avoid blocking the radiators with furniture.
- During the heating month(s), you should keep your blinds up during the day to absorb sunlight, and shut the blinds at night to keep the warm air inside.
Office & Lab Behavior
- Buy/request environmentally preferred products such as recycled paper, Energy Star appliances, and compact fluorescent lightbulbs.
- Make double-sided copies and minimize printing when possible.
- Shut your fume hood sash every time you leave the hood (lab users only).
- Once a week, take the T or bike to work instead of driving.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth.
- Take shorter showers.
- Utilize task lighting.
- Make sure you have CFL bulbs wherever possible.
- Become involved in relevant future activities by joining the Green Campus Network. (http://www.greencampus.harvard.edu/)