Styrofoam Recycling Program
Styrofoam recycling in labs is now CAMPUS-WIDE at HSPH!
For effective recycling of EPS (Styrofoam) coolers, tube racks and packing materials, please follow the guidelines below:
- Only dense, white polystyrene can be recycled
- Remove coolers from inside cardboard boxes and place beside cardboard for recycling pickup
- Remove ice packs, stickers & other materials from coolers
- Smaller materials such as packing peanuts, can be bagged and left beside cardboard for pick up
- Styrofoam must be separated from other recyclables and trash or it will not be recycled
- Help custodial to help you: flattening cardboard and separating coolers from other materials gives them the time to pick up more materials (re: Styrofoam!)
- The coolers will be collected daily by the crew and brought down to the loading dock to be compacted and shipped off to “Save That Stuff” and then remade into “new” plastics such as picture frames and architectural molding.
Read more articles about how the pilot program started at HMS:
Click here to print out a sign to hang in your lab area where you would like to collect styrofoam for collection.