Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Student FAQ

What degrees do you offer?

  • A two-year, part-time MPH in Epidemiology with online and residential components
  • Three types of Master of Science degrees: An 80 Credit Master’s, a 42.5 Credit Academic Year Master’s and a 42.5 Credit Summer Only Master’s Degree
  • One type of Doctor of Philosophy in Population Health Sciences

What are the admissions requirements?

  • Statement of Purpose, Curriculum Vitae /Resume, GRE/MCAT standardized test scores, transcripts from previous institutions, 3 letters of recommendation

Is a Master’s Degree required in order to be eligible to apply for the doctoral program?

  • No

Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

  • No

Is there a minimum GRE requirement?

What is the application deadline?

  • December 1st, 2015 for PhD applicants
  • December 15th, 2015 for all other applicants

Is there an interview requirement?

  • No

What funding is available for doctoral candidates?

  • Harvard Chan School tuition scholarship opportunities, training grant opportunities and Department of Epidemiology tuition reward opportunities

What funding is available for master’s degree candidates?

  • Harvard Chan School tuition scholarship opportunities and Department of Epidemiology tuition reward opportunities

What types of research opportunities are available?

  • Many research opportunities can be found at the Harvard Chan School, affiliated hospitals and research institutes.  It is wise to discuss these research opportunities with your academic advisor.

Are dual degree programs available through this department?

  • Yes, there is an MD/PhD program available (Doctor of Medicine & Doctor of Philosophy in Population Health Sciences dual degree); Applicants should apply through Harvard Medical School (HMS)

How long does it take to graduate from a degree program (assuming the student is engaged in full-time enrollment)?

  • Academic Year 42.5 credit master’s program = 1 Academic Year, approximately 9 months
  • Summer Only 42.5 credit master’s program = 2 summers of coursework, then additional thesis work until completion
  • 80 credit master’s program = 2 academic years
  • Doctor of Philosophy program = 5 academic years

What are the course requirements?

Can I transfer credits from another institution?

  • No, you may not transfer credits from a previous degree or institution, however, you may waive a required course in your current academic program if you provide proof that you have completed and passed a similar course with similar requirements in a previous program.

Once enrolled in an academic program within the department, is it possible to switch an area of research/concentration?

  • Yes

Am I responsible for finding my own academic advisor within the department?

  • No, an academic advisor will be chosen for you during the process of admission based on your research interests.

Is it possible to switch my academic advisor?

  • Yes, you may change who you academic advisor is in the program, especially if you decide to change your research area of concentration.

What kind of careers do students typically pursue after graduation?

  • Alumni of our programs typically find jobs in the fields of industry, education, government, non-profit organizations, academia/research and consulting

For more frequently asked questions regarding admissions or financial support, please visit these Harvard Chan School webpages:

Office of Admissions

Office of Student Financial Services