Postdoc Career Development and Annual Review Process
The objectives of the annual career development and evaluation process for HSPH postdoctoral fellows are as follows:
- To clarify both the supervisor’s and the postdoctoral fellow’s expectations for the fellowship
- To identify scientific and professional goals for the coming year
- To ensure that postdoctoral fellows receive regular and substantive feedback on their progress and career trajectory
Completion of the evaluation process by postdoctoral fellows and their supervisors will be required in order to process a fellow’s reappointment; thus, all fellows appointed by HSPH, paid or unpaid, will take part. Postdoctoral fellows who participate in a performance evaluation at another Harvard University affiliate or program need not participate in this process if they submit verification from their supervisor that an appropriate form of evaluation has taken place.
Below is an outline of the procedures that will be followed to implement the evaluation process.
Year 1 – Postdoc Career Development Plan
- Within 30 days of arrival at HSPH, the Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) will send all new postdocs an email message describing the evaluation process and links to the three relevant forms (career development plan, self-evaluation and career planning form, and supervisor’s annual progress review form). The postdoc will be asked to complete the career development form within 60 days. (The self-evaluation form and supervisor’s annual progress review form are not intended to be used at the beginning of a postdoc appointment. Links to these forms are sent to new postdocs for informational purposes and may provide guidance in developing their career development plan.)
- The new postdoc will complete the career development plan outlining her/his goals for the coming year. The plan will be discussed with the postdoc’s supervisor, revised if necessary, and approved by both the postdoc and supervisor.
- The completed plan will be submitted to OFA.
Note: Postdoctoral fellows will update their career development at least annually but may do so more often if desired.
Year 2 (and subsequent years) – Postdoc Self-Evaluation and Supervisor’s Annual Progress Review
- At the end of each year of postdoctoral training, OFA will send an email message to postdocs reminding them of the evaluation process and asking them to complete a self-evaluation and career planning form that encompasses their activities during the previous year and progress toward achieving the career goals previously set for themselves. This form also outlines goals for the coming year.
- The postdoc will complete the form and submit it to her/his supervisor.
- The supervisor will review the self-evaluation form and complete the supervisor’s annual progress review form.
- The postdoc and supervisor will meet to review and discuss both forms. The supervisor’s annual progress review form will be signed by both the postdoc and supervisor.
- The completed forms will be submitted to OFA.
- OFA will review the self-evaluation and supervisor’s annual progress review forms, and file them in the postdoc’s personnel file. If a supervisor’s annual progress review form indicates that the postdoc’s performance does not meet expectations in a number of categories, OFA will follow up as appropriate and provide additional support, if needed.
- Participation in the program and submission of the appropriate forms will be required before a postdoc’s reappointment will be processed.
Note: Fellows who have not been at the school for a period of time sufficient to allow for evaluation (normally about a year) will not be required to participate in this process.
A copy of the email messages and communications sent to faculty and postdocs related to this process are available online at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/administrative-offices/faculty-affairs/postdoctoral-research-fellows/postdoc-eval-communications