- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida May 2006
Dissertation title: “Titania Carbon Nanotubes composites for Enhanced Photocatalysis.”
- M.S. Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida May 2004
- B.S. Physics , University of Crete March 2000
August 2011-Present: Harvard School of Public Health – Research Fellow
- Managed and delegated graduate and undergraduate students working in various research projects, including the synthesis and the characterization of the Engineered Water Nanostructures for airborne bacteria and formites removal, the Safer Formulation Concept for engineered nanoparticles and the use of the Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) study of the nanoparticles interactions in physiological fluids and their correlation to toxicology.
- Actively participated in pursuing and securing funding for various research studies as a co-Principle Investigator: Harvard incubator Fund, 2011 ($50,000); National Science Foundation (NSF), 2012 ($300,000); US Department of Agriculture (USDA), 2013 ($500,000)
- Managed the Laboratory of Nano Particle Sciences in day-to-day operations through procurement of materials, assurance of safety protocols, maintenance of instrumentation and construction of systems to simulate real world microenvironments.
- Developed the website of the Center of the Nanotechnology and Nanotoxicology and actively participated in the organization of the Center’s Seminar series and International Symposia.
May 2010-November 2010: Service to the Greek Army, Lance Corporal
July 2006-April 2010: Particle Engineering Research Center at the University of Florida – Researcher
- Initiated strong interdisciplinary collaborations for the purpose to integrated data mining techniques with Raman spectroscopy to evaluate in real-time nanoparticle cell interaction, discriminate cell lines and cellular death pathways that continue to be active.
- Created two creative educations paradigms while teaching graduate level courses: An engaging and intuitive paint lab, which effectively deepened the acquired class knowledge by integrating arts with science, and an innovative undergraduate course, Nano for the Rest Of Us, which introduced the applications and implications of nanotechnology to students of non- science fields.
- Interacted with the industrial partners of the Particle Engineering Research Center on monthly base to build collaborations and foster partnerships.
August 2001-May 2006: Department of Materials Science & Engineering – Graduate Research Assistant
- Worked in various project on the nanoparticle synthesis and characterization including, the development of advanced photocatalytic materials based on carbon structures, the measured the Mechanical Behavior of Spores and Bacteria by AFM and the quantification of the interactions potential between micro/nano-particles and polymer with the Colloidal AFM Probe Technique.
- Teaching Assistant at the courses of Materials Selection and Failure Analysis (Spring 2002) and Synthesis and Characterization of Electronic Materials (Fall 2001) and Participate in the outreach programs MSE Teach and E-fair.
Awards / Distinctions:
- 2011: Marie Curie Fellow, European Research Council
- 2003-2005: President of UF Chapter of KERAMOS, University of Florida
- 2001-2002: Fellowship from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- 1999-2000: Graduate Research Scholarship in Physics, University of Crete
- 2004-2013: American Ceramic Society (ACerS)
- 2003-2013: KERAMOS, University of Florida
- 2005-current: Materials Research Society (MRS)
- 2008-2013: Society of Mining Engineering (SME)
- 20012-current: Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization (SNO)
GRANTS (participation, lead author, or Co-PI):
- NSF “INSPIRE”, PI: Dr. P Demokritou (2013) – Lead Author
- USDA “Nanotechnology for Agricultural and Food Systems”, PI: Dr. P Demokritou (2013) – Co-PI
- NIH “Nano-EHS”, PI: Dr. P Demokritou (2013) – Co-PI
- NSF “Nano-manufacturing”, PI: Dr. P Demokritou (2012) – Participation
- HarvardIncubator Fund, PI: Dr. P Demokritou (2011) – Lead Author
- Marie Curie Career Integration Grant, PI G. Pyrgiotakis (2011) – Lead Author
- NSF I/UCRC supplementary grant, PI Dr. B. Moudgil (2009) – Lead author
- Center of Excellence Proposal to the State of Florida, PIs: Dr. B Moudgil and Dr. D. Dennis (2006) – Participation
Refereed Journal Articles
- Pirela, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Dhimiter, B.; Treye, T.; Castranova, V.; Demokritou, P. Development and Characterization of an Exposure Platform Suitable for Physico-Chemical, Morphological and Toxicological Characterization of Printer Emitted Particles (PEPs). Submitted to Inhalation toxicology, 2014.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; McDevitt J. Gao Y.; Branco A; Eleftheriadou M; Lemos B.; Nardell E.; Demokritou P. Anemerging, chemical free nanotechnology based approach for the inactivation of Mycobacteriausing Engineered Water Nanostructures (EWNS). – Nanomedicine -NBM2014 – Accepted
- Watson, C.; Ge, J.; Cohen, J.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Engelward, B. P.; Demokritou, P. A High Throughput Screening Platform for Engineered Nanoparticle Mediated Genotoxicity Using CometChip Technology. ACS Nano2013 – Accepted
- DeLoid, G.; Cohen, J. M.; Darrah, T.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Wohlleben, W.; Demokritou, P. Nanomaterial Effective Density for In Vitro Dosimetry by Volumetric Centrifugation., Nature Communications2013 – Accepted
- G. A. Sotiriou, C. Watson, K. M. Murdaugh, T. H. Darrah, G. Pyrgiotakis, A. Elder, J. D. Brain and P. Demokritou. “Engineering Safer-by-Design, Transparent, Silica-coated ZnO Nanorods with Reduced DNA Damage Potential”. Environmental Science: Nano in press, DOI: 10.1039/C3EN00062A (2014).
- Pyrgiotakis, G; McDevitt, J; Bordini, A; Diaz, E; Molina, R; Watson C; Lenard S; Fix N; Mizuyama Y; Brain J; Demokritou P. A Nanotechnology-based Method for Airborne Bacterial Inactivation using Engineered Water Nanodroplets. RSC Environmental Science: Nano, 2014, 1, 15-29
- Pyrgiotakis, G; Blattmann, C.O.; Pratsinis, S.E.; Demokritou, P. Nanoparticle-nanoparticle interactions in biological media by Atomic Force Microscopy, Langmuir2013, 29, 11385-11395
- Demokritou, P.; Gass, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Cohen, J. M.; Goldsmith, W.; McKinney, W.; Frazer, D.; Ma, J.; Schwegler-Berry, D.; Brain, J.; et al. An in Vivo and in Vitro Toxicological Characterisation of Realistic Nanoscale CeO2 Inhalation Exposures. Nanotoxicology2013, 7, 1338-1350.
- S. Gass, J. M. Cohen, G. Pyrgiotakis, G. A. Sotiriou, S. E. Pratsinis and P. Demokritou. “Safer Formulation Concept for Flame-Generated Engineered Nanomaterials”. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 2013, 1, 843-857.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; McDevitt, J.; Yamauchi, T.; Demokritou, P. A Novel Method for Bacteria Inactivation Using Engineered Water Nanostructures. J. Nanopart. Res.2012, 1-14.
- Cohen, J.; DeLoid, G.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Demokritou, P. Interactions of Engineered Nanomaterials in Physiological Media and Implications for in Vitro dosimetry. Nanotoxicology2012, 7, 417–431.
- Guarracino, M. R.; Xanthopoulos, P.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Tomaino, V.; Moudgil, B. M.; Pardalos, P. M. Classification of Cancer Cell Death with Spectral Dimensionality Reduction and Generalized Eigenvalues. Artif. Intell. Med.2011, 53, 119–125.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Kundakcioglu, O. E.; Pardalos, P. M.; Moudgil, B. M. Raman Spectroscopy and Support Vector Machines for Quick Toxicological Evaluation of Titania Nanoparticles. J Raman Spectrosc2011, 42, 1222–1231.
- Karaka, F.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Çelik, M.; Moudgil, B. M. Na-Bentonite and MgO Mixture as a Thickening Agent for Water-Based Paints. KONA Powder and Particle Journal2011, 29, 96–106.
- Fenn, M. B.; Xanthopoulos, P.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Grobmyer, S. R.; Pardalos, P. M.; Hench, L. L. Raman Spectroscopy for Clinical Oncology. Adv. Opt. Tech.2011, 2011, 1–20.
- Sharma, P.; Brown, S. C.; Singh, A.; Iwakuma, N.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Krishna, V. B.; Knapik, J. A.; Barr, K.; Moudgil, B. M.; Grobmyer, S. R. Near-Infrared Absorbing and Luminescent Gold Speckled Silica Nanoparticles for Photothermal Therapy. J. Mater. Chem.2010, 20, 5182–5185.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. M. X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Anatase-TiO2 Coated Carbon Nanotubes. SSP2010, 162, 163–177.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Kundakcioglu, O. E.; Finton, K.; Pardalos, P. M.; Powers, K.; Moudgil, B. M. Cell Death Discrimination with Raman Spectroscopy and Support Vector Machines. Ann. Biomed. Eng.2009, 37, 1464–1473.
- Woan, K.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. M. Photocatalytic Carbon-Nanotube-TiO2 Composites. Adv. Mater.2009, 21, 2233–2239.
- Bhowmick, T. K.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Finton, K.; Suresh, A. K.; Kane, S. G.; Moudgil, B. M.; Bellare, J. R. A Study of the Effect of JB Particles onSaccharomyces Cerevisiae(Yeast) Cells by Raman Spectroscopy. J Raman Spectrosc2008, 39, 1859–1868.
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Bhowmick, T. K.; Finton, K.; Suresh, A. K.; Kane, S. G.; Bellare, J. R.; Moudgil, B. M. Cell (A549)-Particle (Jasada Bhasma) Interactions Using Raman Spectroscopy. Biopolymers2008, 89, 555–564.
- Sigmund, W. M.; Yuh, J.; Park, H.; Maneeratana, V.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Daga, A.; Taylor, J.; Nino, J. Processing and Structure Relationships in Electrospinning of Ceramic Fiber Systems. J. Am. Chem. Soc.2006, 89, 395–407.
- Kim, B.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sauers, J.; Sigmund, W. The Effect of Monolayers’ Alkyl Chain Length on Atomic Force Microscopy Anodization Lithography. Colloid Surface A2005, 253, 23–26.
- Cho, J.-M.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. M. Surface Forces on Nanoparticles Determined by Direct Measurement. In Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology; Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2004; pp. 3805–3817.
- Lee, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. M. TiO2-Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposite Particles. Journal of the European Academy of Sciences2004, 1.
- Manjooran, N.; Lee, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. Ceramic Slurries for Electrodeposition in Rapid-Prototyping Applications. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull.2004, 83, 9301–9303.
- Kim, B.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. Dip-Pen Nanolithography with Poly(Diallyl Dimethyl Ammonium) Chloride. J. Nanosci. Nanotechn.2004, 4, 221–225.
- Pyrgiotakis G.; Blattmann C.; Demokritou P.; Real-time Nanoparticle-Cell interactions in physiological media by Atomic Force Microscopy. Submitted to ACS Sustainable Engineering & Chemistry 2014.
- Okello, V.; Gass, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Nian, D.; Mudaugh, K.; Boling, D.; Demokritou, P. Capture, Isolation and Detection of Industrially-relevant Engineered Aerosol Nanoparticles, Submitted to Langmuir, 2014.
- Pyrgiotakis, G. Carbon Nanostructures for Enhanced Photocatalysis for biocidal applications, Handbook of Nanomaterials Properties Editors: W. Sigmund, M. Shanmugam and V. Zinyuk Spinger, In PressPyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. Photocatalytic Particles for Biocidal Applications, Particulate Systems in nano- and bio- technologies. Editors: W. Sigmund, H. El-Shall, D.O. Shah and B. Moudgil. RCR Press, 2008 ISBN: 9780849374364
- Sigmund, W.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Daga, A. Theory and Applications of Colloidal Processing, Chemical Processing of Ceramics, 2nd Edition, Editors: Burtrand I. Lee and Sridhar Komarneni, CRC Press, 2005 ISBN: 1574446487
- Cho, J.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W. Surface Forces on Nanoparticles Determined by Direct Measurement, Dekker Encyclopaedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology and Nanoscience, Editors H. Nalwa, DOI: 10.1081/E-ENN 12003552, by Marcel Dekker Inc. 2004
- Sigmund, W.; Lee, S.-H.; Koopman, B.; Moudgil, B. M.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Krishna, V. B. Photocatalytic Nanocomposites and Applications Thereof 2005. Patent Number 7,541,509
- Sigmund, W.; Daga, A.; Yuh J.; Pyrgiotakis G.; Taylor .J .J; Park H;Ceramic nanoparticles and methods for forming ceramic nanoparticles from electrospun nanofibers 2006 Application NumberWO2007109304 A2
Peered Reviewed Proceedings
- Gass, S.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Cohen, J.M.; Sotiriou, G.A.; Pratsinis, S.E.; Demokritou, P. A safer formulation concept for flame-generated engineered nanomaterials, Nanotech 2012 Conference Proceedings Vol. 3, ISBN: 978-1-4665-6274-5, 2012, p. 323 – 326
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; McDevitt, J.; Yamauchi, T.; Demokritou, P. A novel method for bacteria inactivation using Engineered Water Nanostructures. Nanotech 2012 Conference Proceedings Vol. 1, ISBN: 978-1-4665-6276-9, 2012, p. 421 – 424,
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W.; Titania-Carbon Nanotube Composite for Enhanced Photocatalysts, 2nd International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics & Composites, Daytona Beach, 2008
- Sigmund, W.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Krishna, V.; Lee, S.-H.; Pumprueg, S.; Koopman, B.; Moudgil, B. Photocatalytic Destruction of Bioparticles, IEEE International Conference, Proceedings TEHOSS 2005, Ed. A. Stepnowski, Co-Eds. A Rucinski, K. Kosmowski, ISBN 83-917681-9-8, , 2005, p. 479-486
- Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W.; Advanced Photocatalysis with Anatase Nanocoated Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes. Proceedings of MRS Spring Meeting 2005: Symposium R Nanoporous and Nanostructured Materials for Catalysis, Sensor, and Gas Separation Applications, Editors: S.W. Lu, H. Hahn, J. Weissmuller, J.L. Gole, San Francisco, 2005, p. R5.7
- Manjooran, N.J.; Lee, S.-W.; Pyrgiotakis, G.; Sigmund, W.; Rheology of Ceramic Slurries for Electro-Deposition in Rapid Prototyping Applications. Proceedings of ACerS Meeting 2004: Colloidal Ceramic Processing of Nano-, Micro-, and Macro-Particulate Systems, Editors: W.-H. Shih, Y. Hirata, W. Carty, 2004 , p. 75-81
- Conference: International Conference on Biomedical Data & Knowledge Mining: Towards Biomarker Discovery, Chania, Crete, July 7-9, 2010
- bioRaman – Probing nanoparticle cell interactions, Department of Science of Materials – University of Patras, September 12, 2009, Invited by Dr. N. Vainos
- bioRaman single cell probing tool, Location: Center of Applied Optimization – Industrial and System Engineering, April 7, 2009, Invited by Dr. P. Pardalos
- Titania –Carbon Nanotube Composites for advanced photocatalysis, Foundation of Research and Technology at Heraklion, Crete, Greece, Janouary 17, 2007, Invited by Dr. A. Lappas
Conference/Meeting Presentations (poster presentations are not included)
- MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, December 1-6, 2013, Enhancing Engineering Research Skills through Art
- MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, December 1-6, 2013, Development of AFM Platform for Directly Measuring the Nanoparticle-Nanoparticle and Nanoparticle-Cell Interactions
- Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization Conference, Arlington, VA, November 3-5, 2013, Development of AFM Platform for Directly Measuring the Nanoparticle-Nanoparticle and Nanoparticle-Cell Interactions
- MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, November 25-30, 2012, A safer formulation concept for flame-generated engineered nanomaterials (ENMs)
- Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization Conference, Arlington, VA, November 4-6, 2012, A novel method for bacteria inactivation using Engineered Water Nanostructures.
- Nano-Symposium: “Nanotechnology and Engineered Nanomaterials: Applications and Environmental Health implications”, Kyoto, Japan, September 24, 2012, Engineered Water NanoStructures (EWNS) Physicochemical Characterization and Antimicrobial Applications
- Nano-Symposium: “Working towards a sustainable nanotechnology industry: The importance of industry-academia partnerships in addressing nano-EHS matters”, Boston, MA, June 13, 2012, Engineered Water Nanostructures Synthesis, characterization and applications
- 2012 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference & Expo , Santa Clara, CA, June 19-21, 2012, A novel method for bacteria inactivation using Engineered Water Nanostructures.
- International Conference on Biomedical Data & Knowledge Mining: Towards Biomarker Discovery, Chania, Crete, July 7-9, 2010, Support Vector Machines in Spectroscopy: Seeing inside the Cell
- I/UCRC Meeting, Gainesville, FL, February 18- 22, 2010, A Fundamental Study of Nanoparticle–Protein Mutual Interactions: Role of Nanoparticle Morphology and Size – Part II
- I/UCRC Meeting, New York, NY, August 20, 2009, A Fundamental Study of Nanoparticle–Protein Mutual Interactions: Role of Nanoparticle Morphology and Size – Part I
- 13th International Conference and Surface and Colloid Science (ICSCS) & 83rd ACS Colloid and Surface Science Symposium, June 14 – June 19 2009, New York, NY, USA, bioRaman: in-situ Monitoring of Particle-Cell Interaction – Case study: Gold Speckled Silica
- SME Meeting Denver, February 23-25, CO, 2009, Characterization of Bioreactivity of Particles Using the BioRaman Technique
- MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, March 24-28, CA, 2008, bioRaman: An in-situ method for investigating the particle-cell interaction
- PERC IAB Meeting, Gainesville, FL, April 13-14, 2007, Whole Real Time Cell Toxicity Through bioRaman
- MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2005, Advanced Photocatalysis With Anatase Nanocoated Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes.
- 107th ACerS Meeting, Baltimore, MA, April 10-13, 2005, Advanced Photocatalytic Composites: Anatase Coated CNTs.
- PERC/NSF IAB meeting September 22-23, 2004, Gainesville, FL., Advanced Photocatalytic Systems for Destructions of Hazardous Microbes: Anatase Coated CNTs and TiO2 Nanofibers
- PERC/NSF IAB meeting, Gainesville, FL, September 3-4, 2003, Photocatalytic Nanocomposites: A Synthesis and Characterization.
- PERC/NSF IAB meeting, Gainesville, FL, February 18-19, 2003, Surface Forces for Nanosize Particles.
- Instrumentation Skills: Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM, Zeiss Libra 120, JEOL 2010), Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Atomic Force Microscope (Asylum and Digital Instrument), Xray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), Raman Spectroscopy, FTIR Spectroscopy, Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), Light Scattering, UV/VIS adsorption reflectance and scattering
- Cell Culture techniques: culture of animal cells, toxicological assays Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH), MTT, XTT, Confocal, Epifluorescent and light Microscope.
- Technical Skills: Engineering Design, Image Analysis, Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiment, CAD, Web publishing
- Computer Skills: Mathematica, Fortran 77/90, Microsoft Office Suit, HTML, WordPress
- American Ceramic Society (ACerS)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Society of Mining Engineering (SME)
Tel:+1 (617) 432-7990
Tel:+1 (617) 432-3468
665 Huntington ave
Bldg 1, Room G6
Boston, MA, 02115, USA