Interactions of nanoparticles with biological systems
Nanoparticles are employed everyday in commodities and advanced sophisticated applications. Here, we study their interactions with biological systems in-vitro and in-vivo in order to obtain a fundamental understanding of their effect. Based on this understanding we design nanostructured materials that possess all desired properties but do not pose risks to the environment and human health.
Plasmonic nanoparticles in biosensing and bioimaging
Certain metals (e.g. Au, Ag) exhibit a surface plasmon resonance upon their interaction with light when they are in the nanometer sizes. These nanoparticles can be used as “tools” for bioapplications. We synthesize such nanoparticles and find ways to optimize their performance.
Advanced multifunctional nanocomposites
Polymer matrixes play important roles in many areas, however, more often than not, they need nanoparticles as fillers for superior performance, and thus nanocomposites are made. We synthesize such filler nanoparticles for high-tech applications and investigate their dispersion in selected polymers and their life-cycle implications.
Nanoparticles that emit light light upon excitation (e.g. nanophosphors, quantum dots) find potential applications in high-definitition display panels, lighting, bioimaging, to name a few. Here, we synthesize such nanoparticles and investigate the parameters that influence their luminescence, targeting superior performance in biomedical applications.
If you like one of the above research areas, do not hesitate to contact me. Possible internship projects (e.g. Master thesis) may be available!
ResearcherID (Thomson Reuters)
24. G.A. Sotiriou, C. Watson, K.M. Murdaugh, T.H. Darrah, G. Pyrgiotakis, A. Elder, J.D. Brain, P. Demokritou. “Engineering Safer-by-Design, Transparent, Silica-coated ZnO Nanorods with Reduced DNA Damage Potential”, Environ. Sci.: Nano in press, DOI: 10.1039/C3EN00062A (2014). link Research highlight in RSC Chemistry World on 14 February 2014 link
23. G.A. Sotiriou, F. Starsich, A. Dasargyri, M.C. Wurnig, F. Krumeich, A. Boss, J-C. Leroux, S.E. Pratsinis. “Photothermal Killing of Cancer Cells by the Controlled Plasmonic Coupling of Silica-coated Au/Fe2O3 Nanoaggregates”, Adv. Funct. Mater. in press, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201303416 (2014). link
22. S. Fusco, M.S. Sakar, S. Kennedy, R. Bottani, F. Starsich, C. Peters, G.A. Sotiriou, S. Pané, S.E. Pratsinis, C. Hierold, D. Mooney & B. J. Nelson. “An Integrated Microrobotic Platform for On-demand, Targeted Therapeutic Interventions”, Adv. Mater. 26, 952-957 (2014). link Cover page of that issue published 12 February 2014 link
21. A.M. Hirt, G.A. Sotiriou, P.R. Kidambi, A. Teleki. “Effect of Size, Composition and Morphology on Magnetic Performance: First Order Reversal Curves Evaluation of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles”, J. Appl. Phys. 115, 044314 (2014). link
20. G.A. Sotiriou, M.A. Visbal-Onufrak, A. Teleki, E.J. Juan, A.M. Hirt, S.E. Pratsinis, C. Rinaldi, “Thermal Energy Dissipation by SiO2-coated Plasmonic-Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles in Alternating Magnetic Fields”, Chem. Mater. 25, 4603-4612 (2013). link
19. A. Pratsinis, P. Hervella, J-C. Leroux, S.E. Pratsinis, G.A. Sotiriou, “Toxicity of Silver Nanoparticles in Macrophages”, Small 9, 2576-2584 (2013). link
18. S. Gass, J. Cohen, G. Pyrgiotakis, G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, P. Demokritou, “Safer Formulation Concept for Flame-Generated Engineered Nanomaterials”, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 1, 843-857 (2013). link
17. G.A. Sotiriou, C.O. Blattmann, S.E. Pratsinis, “Flexible, Multifunctional, Magnetically Actuated Nanocomposite Films”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 23, 34-41 (2013). link
16. G.A. Sotiriou, “Biomedical Applications of Multifunctional Plasmonic Nanoparticles”, WIREs Nanomed. Nanobiotechnol. 5, 19-30 (2013). link
15. G.A. Sotiriou, D. Franco, D. Poulikakos, A. Ferrari, “Optically Stable Biocompatible Flame-Made SiO2-Coated Y2O3:Tb3+ Nanophosphors for Cell Imaging”, ACS Nano 6, 3888–3897 (2012). link
14. Y. Deligiannakis, G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Antioxidant and Antiradical SiO2 Nanoparticles Covalently Functionalized with Gallic Acid”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 4, 6609-6617 (2012). link
13. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Meyer, J.T.N. Knijnenburg, S. Panke, S.E. Pratsinis, “Quantifying the Origin of Released Ag+ ions from Nanosilver”, Langmuir 28, 15929–15936 (2012). link
12. C.S-J. Tsai, M.E. Echevarria-Vega, G.A. Sotiriou, C. Santeufemio, D. Schmidt, P. Demokritou, M. Ellenbecker, “Evaluation of Environmental Filtration Control of Engineered Nanoparticles using the Harvard Versatile Engineered Nanomaterial Generation System (VENGES)”, J. Nanopart. Res. 14, 812 (2012). link
11. G.A. Sotiriou, E. Diaz, M. S. Long, J. Godleski, J. Brain, S.E. Pratsinis, P. Demokritou, “A Novel Platform for Pulmonary and Cardiovascular Toxicological Characterization of Inhaled Engineered Nanomaterials”, Nanotoxicology 6, 680-690 (2012). link
10. G.A. Sotiriou, M. Schneider, S.E. Pratsinis, “Green, Silica-coated Monoclinic Y2O3:Tb3+ Nanophosphors: Flame Synthesis and Characterization”, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 4493-4499 (2012). link
9. O. Ergeneman, G. Chatzipirpiridis, J. Pokki, M. Marin-Suarez, G.A. Sotiriou, S. Medina-Rodriguez, J.F. Fernandez Sanchez, A. Fernandez-Gutierrez, S. Pane, B.J. Nelson, “In Vitro Oxygen Sensing using Intraocular Microrobots”, IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 59, 3104-3109 (2012). Cover page of issue published Nov 2012 link
8. S.B. Bubenhofer, C.M. Schumacher, F.M. Koehler, N.A. Luechinger, G.A. Sotiriou, R.N. Grass, W.J. Stark, “Electrical Resistivity of Assembled Transparent Inorganic Oxide Nanoparticle Thin Layers: Influence of Silica, Insulating Impurities and Surfactant Layer Thickness”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 4, 2664–2671 (2012). link
7. G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Engineering Nanosilver as an Antibacterial, Biosensor and Bioimaging Material”, Curr. Opin. Chem. Eng. 1, 3-10 (2011). link
6. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Teleki, A. Camenzind, F. Krumeich, A. Meyer, S. Panke, S.E. Pratsinis, “Nanosilver on Nanostructured Silica: Antibacterial Activity and Ag Surface Area”, Chem. Eng. J. 170, 547-554 (2011). link
5. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Hirt, P.-Y. Lozach, A. Teleki, F. Krumeich, S.E. Pratsinis, “Hybrid Silica-coated, Janus-like Plasmonic-Magnetic Nanoparticles”, Chem. Mater. 23, 1985-1992 (2011). link
4. A.B. Dahlin, T. Sannomiya, R. Zahn, G.A. Sotiriou, J. Vörös, “Electrochemical Crystallization of Plasmonic Nanostructures”, Nano Lett. 11, 1337-1343 (2011). link
3. G.A. Sotiriou, M. Schneider, S.E. Pratsinis, “Color-Tunable Nanophosphors by Codoping Flame-Made Y2O3 with Tb and Eu”, J. Phys. Chem. C 115, 1084–1089 (2011). link
2. G.A. Sotiriou, T. Sannomiya, A. Teleki, F. Krumeich, J. Vörös, S.E. Pratsinis, “Non-toxic, Dry-coated Nanosilver for Plasmonic Biosensors”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 4250-4257 (2010). link Frontispiece of issue published on 21 Dec 2010 link
1. G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Antibacterial Activity of Nanosilver Ions and Particles”, Environ. Sci. Technol. 44, 5649-5654 (2010). link