- Akarolo-Anthony S, Willett WC, Spiegelman D, and Adebamowo CA. Obesity epidemic has emerged among Nigerians. BMC Public Health. 2014; 14:455.
- Ley SH, Hamdy O, Mohan V, Hu F. Prevention and management of type 2 diabetes: dietary components and nutritional strategies. Lancet, 2014; 383:1999-2007.
- Lakshmipriya N, Gayathri R, Praseena K, Vijayalakshmi P, Gunasekaran G, Vasudevan S, Krishnaswamy K, Anjana RM, Jeyakumar H, Mohan V. Type of vegetable oils used in cooking and risk of metabolic syndrome among Asian Indians. 2013 Mar; 64(2):131-9.
- Malik VS, Willett WC, Hu FB. Global obesity: trends, risk factors and policy implications. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, 2013 Jan; 9(1):13-27.
- Mattei J, Malik V, Hu FB, Campos H. Substituting Homemade Fruit Juice for Sugar-Sweetened Beverages with Lower Odds of Metabolic Syndrome among Hispanic Adults. The Journal of Nutrition, 2012 Jun; 142(6):1081-7.
- Hu EA, Pan A, Malik V, Sun Q. White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis and systematic review. BMJ, 2012; 344 :e1454
- Sun Q, Spiegelman D, van Dam RM, Holmes MD, Malik VS, Willett WC, Hu FB. White rice, brown rice and risk of Type 2 Diabetes in US Men and Women. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2010 Jun 14; 170(11):961-9.
- Mattei J, Malik V, Wedick NM, Hu FB, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Campos H, Global Nutrition Epidemiologic Transition Initiative. Reducing the global burden of type 2 diabetes by improving the quality of staple foods: The Global Nutrition and Epidemiologic Transition Initiative. In press. Globalization and Health. 2015.
- Mattei J, Malik V, Wedick N, Campos H, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Hu FB. A symposium and workshop report from the Global Nutrition and Epidemiologic Transition Initiative: nutrition transition and the global burden of type 2 diabetes. British Journal of Nutrition, 2012 Oct; 108(7):1325-35.
Country Specific Publications
- Wedick NM, Vasudevan S, Spiegelman D, Bai R, Malik V, Venkatachalam SS, Parthasarathy V, Vaidya R, Nagarajan L, Arumugam K, Jones C, Campos H, Krishnaswamy K, Willett W, Hu F, Mohan AR, Mohan V. Study design and methods for a randomized crossover trial substituting brown rice for white rice on diabetes risk factors in India. In press. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. 2015.
- Monge-Rojas R, Mattei J, Fuster T, Willett W, Campos H. Influence of sensory and cultural perceptions of white rice, brown rice and beans by Costa Rican adults in their dietary choices. Appetite. 2014 Oct; 81:200-8.
- Mohan V, Spiegelman D, Vasudevan S, Gayathri R, Krishnaswamy K, Hong B, Praseena K, Arumugam K, Ramachandran S, Bai RM, Wedick NM, Malik V, Henry JK, Anjana RM. Effect of brown rice, white rice, and brown rice with legumes on blood glucose and insulin responses in overweight Asian Indians: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, 2014, Volume 16, Number 5.
- Akarolo-Anthony S, Odubore FO, Yilme S, Aragbada O, Odonye G, Hu FB, Willett WC, Spiegelman D , Adebamowo CA. Pattern of dietary carbohydrate intake in urbanized adult Nigerians. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 2013 May; 64(3):292-9.
- Vasudevan S, Spiegelman D, Hong B, Malik V, Jones C, Hu FB, Willett WC, Bai MR, Ponnalagu MM, Arumugam K, Viswanathan V. Consumer acceptance and preference study (CAPS) on brown and undermilled Indian rice varieties in Chennai, India. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2013 Apr; 32(1):50-7
- Muhihi A, Gimbi D, Njelekela M, Shemaghembe E, Mwambene K, Chiwanga F, Malik V, Wedick NM, Spiegelman D, Hu F, Willet WC. Consumption and acceptability of whole grain staples for lowering markers of diabetes risk among overweight and obese Tanzanian adults. Globalization and Health, 2013; 9:26.
- Muhihi A, Gimbi D, Njelekela M, Shemaghembe E, Mwambene K, Malik V, Spiegelman D, Hu F, Willet WC. Perceptions, Facilitators and Barriers to Consumption of Whole Grain Staple Foods among Overweight and Obese Tanzanian Adults: A Focus Group Study. ISRN Public Health, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 790602, 7 pages.
- Mattei J, Hu FB, Campos H. A higher ratio of beans to white rice is associated with lower cardiometabolic risk factors in Costa Rican adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2011; 94(3):869-7
- Shobana S, Malleshi NG, Vasudevan S, Spiegelman D, Hong B, Hu, F, Willett WC, Krishnaswami K, Mohan V. Nutritional and sensory profile of two Indian rice varieties with different degrees of polishing. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, 2011 Dec;62(8):800-10.
- Kumar S, Mohanraj R, Vasudevan S, WedickN, Hong B, Jones C, Willett WC, Spiegelman D, Hu FB. Perceptions about varieties of brown rice: a qualitative study from Southern India. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2011 Oct;111(10):1517-22.
- Zhang G, Pan A, Zong G, Yu Z, Wu H, Chen X, Tang L, Feng Y, Zhou H, Chen X, Li H, Hong B, Malik V, Willett WC, Spiegelman D, Hu F, Lin X. Substituting white rice with brown rice for 16 weeks does not substantially affect metabolic risk factors in middle-aged Chinese men and women with diabetes or a high risk for diabetes. The Journal of Nutrition 2011 Sep;141(9): 1685–90.
- Zhang G, Malik V, Pan A, Kumar S, Holmes MD, Spiegelman D, Lin X, Hu FB. Substituting brown rice for white rice for diabetes prevention: a focus group study in Chinese adults. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2010 Aug; 110(8):1216-21.