FAQs for Prospective Students

Below are common questions received from prospective students and our responses.  If you have additional questions, please contact the HCC Coordinator.

Do I apply directly to the Health Communication Concentration, or do I enroll after I am admitted?

One can certainly indicate interest in the Concentration during application; however, an official declaration of intent may only be made after enrollment. While declaration of intention immediately after enrollment is not required, it will help us plan the offerings of HCC related courses and other planned activities. Students who meet the requirements of the coursework of HCC, will be asked to  declare their intention at the beginning of the Spring term in the year they graduate.

May I apply for the HCC though I am not a student in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences? 

Yes, the HCC is open to all 2-year Masters and Doctoral students, regardless of departmental affiliation, although eligibility is subject to department approval.

I am applying to a doctoral program and do not think I will have time to fulfill the requirements for the Concentration.  Is there another way for me to be involved?

Doctoral students can “minor” in Health Communication. Rules regarding minors vary by department, so check with your department’s administrator for details.  At a minimum, you may attend lectures and discussions and meet colleagues with related interests.

What is the Health Communication in the 21st Century course, and when will it be offered?

Health Communication in the 21st Century is the new HCC foundation course that will replace SHH211: Health Promotion through Mass MediaHealth Communication in the 21st Century will be offered in the 2013-2014 school year.   For the school year 2011-2012, SHH211 will meet the requirement.

The HCC requirements have changed since I entered HSPH, and I am not sure if I will be able to meet the requirements set out in the year in which I entered HSPH to fulfill the Concentration.  Can I substitute courses offered in the current HCC requirements to fulfill the HCC? 

Yes, students admitted in previous years (prior to fall of 2011) can petition to the Committee to meet the HCC requirements under the revised guidelines.  Please complete the HCC Declaration Form and email it to the HCC Coordinator for review.

How do I cross-register for HCC elective courses that are offered at other Harvard schools?

The Harvard University Course Catalog website, http://coursecatalog.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do, allows students to connect with other Schools’ Registrar’s Offices and to view course offerings. The website also provides guidelines for converting credits between Schools and lists cross-registration deadlines.