Eliminating Barriers-Increasing Access Workshop Series
This workshop series is designed for public health professionals interested in improving health literacy in their practice. Below you will find tools for facilitators interested in conducting this workshop series. New workshops will be added throughout the year.
Assessing Health Materials
This workshop will focus on the application of specific tools most helpful to materials assessment. At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Identify three design elements that support reading ease
- Identify three organizational elements that support reading ease
- Describe how to use the SMOG, SAM, PMOSE/IKIRSCH tools and a numeracy demand scale
- Determine a readability score for health materials in prose format
- Determine a grade level score for health materials in document format
- Determine a suitability score for health materials
- Estimate the numeric demands in health materials.