Selected Peer Reviewed Articles and Chapters:
- McDonough, JE. “Massachusetts Health Reform Implementation: Major Progress and Future Challenges.” Health Affairs. Web-exclusive. July-August , 2008.
- John E. McDonough, Michael Miller, and Christine Barber. “A Progress Report On State Health Access Reform.” Health Affairs, March/April 2008; 27(2): w105-w115.
- McDonough, JE. “The Third Wave of Massachusetts Health Access Reform.” With B. Rosman, F. Phelps, and M. Shannon. Health Affairs. Web-exclusive. September 2006.
- John E. McDonough, Brian K. Gibbs, and Janet L. Scott-Harris et al. A State Policy Agenda to Eliminate Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. The Commonwealth Fund, New York. June 28, 2004.
- McDonough, JE. Quality Improvement/Proactive Hazard Analysis Models: Deciphering a New Tower of Babel. With Ronni Solomon & Luke Petosa. Report for the Patient Safety Data Standards project of the Institute of Medicine. April 30, 2003.
- McDonough, JE. Proactive Hazard Analysis and Healthcare Policy. Milbank Memorial Fund, 2002.
- McDonough, John. “Taking the Law Into Their Own Hands.” Commonwealth Magazine. December 2002.
- McDonough, JE. “Using And Misusing Anecdote In Policy Making.” Health Affairs, January/February 2001; 20(1): 207-212.
- McDonough, JE. “State Legislatures and Health Policy in the Market Era.” In Hackey Robert & David Rochefort, eds., The New Politics of State Health Policy. University of Kansas Press, 2001.
- McDonough, JE. Health Care Policy: The Basics. Boston, Robert Wood Johnson Access Project, 1999.
- McDonough, JE. Expanding Health Coverage for Children: Matching Federal Policies and State Strategies, with Kay A. Johnson. Report published by the Reforming States Group and the Milbank Memorial Fund, 1998.
- McDonough, JE. “Tracking the Demise of State Hospital Rate Setting”, Health Affairs, Volume 16, Number 1, January/February, 1997
- McDonough, JE. “Health Care Reform Stages a Comeback in Massachusetts”, & Christie L. Hager and Brian Rosman. New England Journal of Medicine, 336:148-1×51 January 9, 1997.
- McDonough, JE. The Decline of State-Based Hospital Rate Setting: Findings and Implications. March 1995. Report for the National Academy for State Health Policy and the United Hospital Fund of New York.
- McDonough, JE. Inside National Health Reform. University of California Press & Milbank Memorial Fund, forthcoming 2011.
- McDonough, JE. Experiencing Politics: A Legislator’s Stories of Government and Health Care, University of California Press & Milbank Memorial Fund, 2000.
- McDonough, JE. Interests, Ideas and Deregulation: The Fate of Hospital Rate Setting. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 1998.
Recent Op-Eds and Opinion Columns:
A Health Policy Reality Check (Guest Opinion) Kaiser News Service
A New Cost Control Idea – Paying For Outcomes (Guest Opinion) Kaiser News Service
10 Reasons To Feel Good About Health Reform Implementation Kaiser News Service
Wyden-Brown And The Health Law: A Match Made In Heaven Or Limbo? Kaiser News Service
Repeal would dash hopes to reduce disparities. With Brian Smedley. Baltimore Sun.