- Dietary and genetic origins of cardio-metabolic disease, including diet-gene interactions
- Eating habits including the timing and frequency of eating, cooking methods and beverage consumption
- Dietary antioxidants, especially vitamin C
- Cardiovascular disease and diabetes
- Inflammation and oxidative stress
- Epidemiology and biostatistics
- PhD: University of Toronto, Nutritional Sciences, 2010
- RD: Manitoba Partnership Program, Dietetic Internship, 2006
- BSc: University of Manitoba, Human Nutritional Sciences, 2005
Selected Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Cahill LE, Chiuve SE, Mekary RA, Jensen MK, Flint AJ, Hu FB and Rimm EB. Prospective study of breakfast eating and incident coronary heart disease in a cohort of male US health professionals. Circulation 2013; 128(4);337-343.
- Mekary RA, Giovannucci E, Cahill LE, Willett WC, van Dam RM, and Hu FB. Eating patterns and type 2 diabetes risk in older women: Breakfast consumption and eating frequency. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;98(2):436-443.
- Wu JHY, Cahill LE and Mozaffarian D. Effect of Fish Oil on Circulating Adiponectin: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98:2451-2459.
- Pai JK, Cahill LE, Hu FB, Rexrode KM, Manson JE, and Rimm EB. Hemoglobin a1c is associated with increased risk of incident coronary heart disease among apparently healthy, nondiabetic men and women. J Am Heart Assoc 2013; 2(2):e77.
- Cahill LE, Levy AP, Chiuve SE, Jensen MK, Wang H, Shara NM, Blum S, Howard BV, Pai JK, Mukamal KJ, Rexrode KM, and Rimm EB. Haptoglobin genotype is a consistent marker of coronary heart disease risk among individuals with elevated HbA1c. J Amer Coll Cardiol 2013; 61(7):728-737.
- Fenech M, El-Sohemy A, Cahill L, Lynette Ferguson L, French T-AC, Shyong Tai E, Milner J, Koh W-P, Yuan J-M, Sun C-L, Lee H-P, Yu MC, Xie L, Zucker M, Buckley M, Cosgrove L, Lockett T, Fung KYC and Head R. Nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics: viewpoints on current status and applications in nutrition research and practice. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenom 2011;4:69-89.
- Cahill LE and El-SohemyA. Haptoglobin genotype modifies the association between dietary vitamin C and serum ascorbic acid deficiency. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 92:1494-1500.
- Cahill LE and El-SohemyA. Vitamin C transporter gene polymorphisms, dietary vitamin C and fasting serum ascorbic acid. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenom, 2010; 2(6):292-301.
- Brenner DR, Tepylo K, Eny KM, Cahill LE and El-Sohemy A. Comparison of body mass index and waist circumference as predictors of cardiometabolic health in a population of young Canadian adults. Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome 2010; 2:28.
- Cahill LE, Fontaine-BissonB and El-SohemyA. Functional genetic variants of glutathione S-transferase protect against serum ascorbic acid deficiency. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 90:1411-1417.
- Cahill L, Corey PN and El-Sohemy A. Vitamin C deficiency in a population of young Canadian adults. Am J Epidemiol 2009; 170:464-471.
- Cahill LE, Peng C, Bankovic-Calic N, Sankaran D, Ogborn M and Aukema H. Dietary soy protein during pregnancy and lactation in rats with hereditary kidney disease attenuates disease progression in offspring. Br J Nutr 2007; 97:77-84.
- Sankaran D, Bankovic-Calic N, Cahill L, Peng C, Ogborn M and Aukema H.Late dietary intervention limits benefits of soy protein or flax oil in experimental polycystic kidney disease. Nephron Exp Nephrol 2007 106:122-128.
- Cahill LE and El-Sohemy A (2012). Genetic Variation and Nutrient Metabolism. In: John W. Erdman Jr. (ed.), Ian A. MacDonald (ed.), Steven H. Zeisel (ed.), Present Knowledge in Nutrition, 10th Edition, pp. 70-88. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Cahill LE and El-Sohemy A (2011). Integration of Biotechnologies | Nutrigenomics: A Possible Road to Personalized Nutrition. In: Murray Moo-Young (ed.), Comprehensive Biotechnology, Second Edition, volume 4, pp. 703–712. Elsevier.
2012 Scott Grundy Fellowship Award for Excellence in Metabolism Research, American Heart Association
2011 Cardiovascular Epidemiology Trainee Presentation Award, Harvard University
2010-13 CIHR Post-Doctoral Fellowship Award (ranked in top 5 out of ~500 applicants)
2010 Professor Lilian U Thompson Seminar Award
2010 Michael C Archer Research Excellence Publication Award
2009 ISNFF Fereidoon Shahidi Fellowship Award
2008-10 NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship (Doctoral)
2008 AFMNet Marilyn Griffith Memorial Scholarship
2008 Dietitians of Canada Memorial Graduate Award
2008 Natural Health Products Research Society Oral Presentation Award
2008 American Society of Nutrition Vitamins & Minerals RIS Poster Award
2007 Departmental Travel Award for Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto
2006-08 NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship (Master’s)
2006-07 AFMNet Postgraduate Research Supplement
2006-07 Mary H. Beatty Fellowship, University of Toronto