Mauricio Avendano Pabon
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences
PhD Epidemiology, 2006, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
MSc Epidemiology, 2005, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Master of Public Health (MPH), 2002, Netherlands School of Public Health/Erasmus University, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
BSc (final year) Psychology, 1999. University of London (Goldsmiths College), London, United Kingdom
BSc Psychology, 2000, University of Los Andes, Bogota, Colombia
- Social and economic determinants of stroke and cardiovascular disease
- Welfare state policies and health inequalities
- Health variations across countries and the role of socioeconomic conditions
- Causal pathways in social epidemiology
Dr. Avendano’s research focuses on understanding how social processes influence health and what the biological mechanisms behind these associations are. He has recently received several grants to explore how social and economic aspects of life relate to health outcomes, and how these processes occur differently across various societies. He has been closely involved in the design and analysis of the EU-funded project SHARE (Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe), a comparative study in about 15 countries to study the interaction between health and the social and economic dimensions of life in the European region. He also co-ordinates the health module of the SHARELIFE project, an extension of SHARE that aims to understand ageing from a life-course perspective. He is part of the co-ordinating team of the project HOPE (Health and Obesity prevention across Europe), an international collaboration aimed at tackling the obesity epidemic in Europe. At Harvard, his research focuses on exploring the differential pathways through which social exposures influence health in the United States and Europe.
- Subramanian S, Huijts T, Avendano M. Self reported health assessments in 69 countries: are they misleading? WHO Bulletin. 2009 (In press).
- Mohd Hairi F, Mackenbach JP, Andersen-Ranberg K, Avendano M. Does socioeconomic status predict grip strength in older Europeans? Results from the SHARE study in non-institutionalized men and women aged 50+. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 (In press).
- Maselko JB, LM Avendaño, M Glymour, MM. The intersection of sex, marital status, and cardiovascular risk factors in shaping stroke incidence- results from the Health & Retirement Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 (In press).
- Eikemo T, Skalicka V, Avendano M. Variations in relative health inequalities: are they a mathematical artefact? International Journal for Equity in Health. 2009 (In press);doi:10.1186/1475-9276-8-32.
- Avendano M, Jürges H, Mackenbach JP. Educational level and changes in health across Europe: Longitudinal results from SHARE. Journal of European Social Policy. 2009 (In press).
- Avendano M, Huijts T, Subramanian S. Is self-rated health an unreliable measure of health status? Am J Epidemiol. 2009 (In press).
- Glymour MM, Avendano M. Can self-reported strokes be used to study stroke incidence and risk factors?: evidence from the health and retirement study. Stroke. 2009;40(3):873-879.
- DeFries T, Avendano M, Glymour MM. Level and change in cognitive test scores predict risk of first stroke. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57(3):499-505.
- Avendano M, Glymour MM, Banks J, Mackenbach JP. Health disadvantage in US adults aged 50 to 74 years: a comparison of the health of rich and poor Americans with that of Europeans. Am J Public Health. 2009;99(3):540-548.
- Jurges H, Avendano M, Mackenbach JP. Are different measures of self-rated health comparable? An assessment in five European countries. Eur J Epidemiol. 2008;23(12):773-781.
- Huisman M, Van Lenthe F, Avendano M, Mackenbach J. The contribution of job characteristics to socioeconomic inequalities in incidence of myocardial infarction. Soc Sci Med. 2008.
- Glymour MM, Defries TB, Kawachi I, Avendano M. Spousal smoking and incidence of first stroke the health and retirement study. Am J Prev Med. 2008;35(3):245-248.
- Glymour MM, Avendano M, Haas S, Berkman LF. Lifecourse social conditions and racial disparities in incidence of first stroke. Ann Epidemiol. 2008;18(12):904-912.
- de Kok IM, van Lenthe FJ, Avendano M, Louwman M, Coebergh JW, Mackenbach JP. Childhood social class and cancer incidence: Results of the globe study. Soc Sci Med. 2008;66(5):1131-1139.
- Avendano M, Van Soest A. Measuring pain: issues of interpretation. The Lancet. 2008;372(9637):443.
- Avendano M, Soerjomataram I. Monitoring trends in acute coronary syndromes: can we use hospital admission registries? Heart. 2008.
- Avendano M, Glymour MM. Stroke disparities in older Americans: is wealth a more powerful indicator of risk than income and education? Stroke. 2008;39(5):1533-1540.
- Avendano M, Glymour M. Obesity doesn’t explain U.S.-Europe disparities. Health Aff (Millwood). 2008;27(1):298.
- Glymour MM, Avendano M, Berkman LF. Is the ‘stroke belt’ worn from childhood?: risk of first stroke and state of residence in childhood and adulthood. Stroke. 2007;38(9):2415-2421.
- Avendano M, Mackenbach JP. Blood glucose levels: facing a global crisis. Lancet. 2006;368(9548):1631-1632.
- Avendano M, Kunst AE, Huisman M, Lenthe FV, Bopp M, Regidor E, Glickman M, Costa G, Spadea T, Deboosere P, Borrell C, Valkonen T, Gisser R, Borgan JK, Gadeyne S, Mackenbach JP. Socioeconomic status and ischaemic heart disease mortality in 10 western European populations during the 1990s. Heart. 2006;92(4):461-467.
- Avendano M, Kawachi I, Van Lenthe F, Boshuizen HC, Mackenbach JP, Van den Bos GA, Fay ME, Berkman LF. Socioeconomic status and stroke incidence in the US elderly: the role of risk factors in the EPESE study. Stroke. 2006;37(6):1368-1373.
- Avendano M, Boshuizen HC, Schellevis FG, Mackenbach JP, Van Lenthe FJ, Van den Bos GA. Disparities in stroke preventive care in general practice did not explain socioeconomic disparities in stroke. J Clin Epidemiol. 2006;59(12):1285-1294.
- Avendano M. Smoking and inequalities. Lancet. 2006;368(9545):1417-1418.
- Avendano M, Kunst AE, van Lenthe F, Bos V, Costa G, Valkonen T, Cardano M, Harding S, Borgan JK, Glickman M, Reid A, Mackenbach JP. Trends in socioeconomic disparities in stroke mortality in six european countries between 1981-1985 and 1991-1995. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;161(1):52-61.
- Avendano M, Kunst AE, Huisman M, van Lenthe F, Bopp M, Borrell C, Valkonen T, Regidor E, Costa G, Donkin A, Borgan JK, Deboosere P, Gadeyne S, Spadea T, Andersen O, Mackenbach JP. Educational level and stroke mortality: a comparison of 10 European populations during the 1990s. Stroke. 2004;35(2):432-437.