Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology
Dr. Wang’s current methodological research interests are mainly in the areas of assessment of timing of effect in survival analysis, evaluation of etiological disease heterogeneity and measurement error correction in epidemiological studies. She has also developed semi-parametric methods for reducing the impact of nuisance parameters.
She is the lead statistician for the Pooling Project on Diet and Cancer in Women and Men, the Vitamin D and Breast Cancer/Colorectal Cancer Consortium, and several HIV studies conducted in Uganda and Tanzania. She has also been a lead statistician for the Nurses’ Health Study II and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, and the lead statistician for several projects based on the Harvard cohorts. She has been actively working on analyses, providing input into the development of analytic procedures and their interpretation, and overseeing software development for the routine implementation of advanced and novel statistical methods.
Before October 2010, she had worked on statistical collaborations in various oncology projects with Harvard – Dana Farber Cancer Institute biomedical investigators and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), with a focus on the design and analysis of breast cancer clinical trials.
Ph.D., 2002, Emory University
- Wang M, Hanfelt JJ. Adjusted profile estimating function. Biometrika 2003;90:845-858.
- Cheng P-Y, Wang M, Morgan ET. Rapid transcriptional suppression of rat cytochrome P450 genes by endotoxin treatment and its inhibition by curcumin. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2003;307:1205-1212.
- Wang M, Williamson J, Redline S. A semiparametric method for analyzing matched case-control family studies with a continuous outcome and proband sampling. Biometrics 2004;60(3):644-650.
- Wang M, Williamson JM. Generalization of the Mantel-Haenszel estimating function for sparse clustered binary data. Biometrics 2005; 61:973-981.
- Wang M, Berger V. Breslow-Day-Statistic. In: Everitt, B, Howell DC, ed. Encyclopedia of Behavioral Statistics, Hoboken, John Wiley & Sons, 2005. DOI: 10.1002/0470013192.bsa062
- Wang M, Fitzmaurice G. A simple imputation method for longitudinal studies with non-ignorable non-responses. Biom J 2006;48:302-318.
- Berman JN, Wang M, Berry W, Neuberg DS, Guinan EC. Herpes zoster infection in the post-hematopoietic stem cell transplant pediatric population may be preceded by transaminitis: an institutional experience. Bone Marrow Transplant 2006;37:73-80.
- Zucker S, Wang M, Sparano JA, Gradishar WJ, Ingle JN, Davidson NE; Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Plasma matrix metalloproteinases 7 and 9 in patients with metastatic breast cancer treated with marimastat or placebo: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial E2196. Clin Breast Cancer 2006;6(6):525-529.
- Wang M, Hanfelt JJ. Orthogonal locally ancillary estimating functions for matched-pair studies and errors-in-covariates. J R Stat Soc-Series B 2007;69:411-428.
- Dahlberg SE, Wang M. A proportional hazards cure model for the analysis of time to event with frequently unidentifiable causes. Biometrics 2007; 63(4):1237-1244.
- Miller K, Wang M, Gralow J, Dickler M, Cobleigh M, Perez E, Shenkier T, Davidson NE. Paclitaxel Compared with Paclitaxel plus Bevacizumab for Metastatic Breast Cancer: A trial coordinated initial by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E2100). N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2666-2676.
- Sparano JA, Wang M, Martino S, Jones V, Perez EA, Saphner T, Wolff AC, Sledge GW, Wood WC, Davidson NE. Weekly paclitaxel in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:1663-1671. PMCID: PMC2743943
- Wang M, Hanfelt JJ. Robust modified profile estimating function with application to the generalized estimating equation. J Stat Planning Inference. 2008;.138:2029-2044.
- Schneider B, Wang M, Radovich M, Sledge G, Badve S, Thor A, Flockhart D, Hancock B, Davidson N, Miller K. Association of genetic polymorphisms of VEGF and VEGFR-2 with outcome in E2100. J Clin Onc 2008; 26:4672-4678. PMCID: PMC2653128
- Wang M, Hanfelt JJ. Orthogonal locally ancillary estimating function with application to stratified clustered data. Commun in Statistics-Theory and Methods 2008;37:2836-2853.
- Wang M, Hanfelt JJ. A robust method for finely stratified familial studies with proband-based sampling. Biostatistics 2009;10:364-373. PMCID: PMC2648900
- Hughes LL, Wang M, Page DL, Gray R, Solin LJ, Davidson NA, Lowen MA, Ingle JN, Wood WC. Local excision alone for selected patients with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast: A trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E5194). J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:5319-5324. PMCID: PMC2773217
- Zhang JJ, Wang M. An accelerated failure time cure model for time-to-event data with masked cause of failure. Biom J 2009; 51:932-945.
- Moulder S, Li H, Wang M, Gradishar WJ, Perez EA, Sparano JA, Pins M, Sledge GW. A phase II trial of Trastuzumab plus weekly Ixabepilone and Carboplatin in patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010; 119:663-71.
- Wolff AC, Wang M, Li H, Pins M, Pretorius F J, Rowland K, Sparano JA, Davidson N E. Phase II trial of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin plus docetaxel with and without trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial E3198. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010; 121:110-20.
- Zhang JJ, Wang M. Latent class joint model of ovarian function suppression and DFS for premenopausal breast cancer patients. Statistics in Medicine, 2010;29: 2310-2324. PMCID: PMC3786368
- Cella D, Wang M, Wagner L, Miller K. Survival-adjusted health-related quality of life (HRQL) among patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving paclitaxel plus bevacizumab versus paclitaxel alone: results from Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study 2100 (E2100). Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2011; 130:855-861
- Joseph A. Sparano, Wang M, Fengmin Zhao, Vered Stearns, Silvana Martino, Jennifer A. Ligibel, Edith A. Perez, Tom Saphner, Antonio C. Wolff, George W. Sledge, Jr.,William C. Wood, John Fetting, and Nancy E. Davidson. Obesity at diagnosis is associated with inferior outcomes in hormone receptor positive operable breast cancer. Cancer, 2012; 118(23):5937-46.
- Joseph A. Sparano, Wang M, Fengmin Zhao, Vered Stearns, Silvana Martino, Jennifer A. Ligibel, Edith A. Perez, Tom Saphner, Antonio C. Wolff, George W. Sledge, Jr., William C. Wood, and Nancy E. Davidson. Race and Hormone Receptor–Positive Breast Cancer Outcomes in a Randomized Chemotherapy Trial, Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2012; 104(5):406-14. PMCID:PMC3295746
- Schneider BP, Zhao F, Wang M, Stearns V, Martino S, Jones V, Perez EA, Saphner T, Wolff AC, Sledge GW Jr, Wood WC, Davidson NE, Sparano JA. Neuropathy is not associated with clinical outcomes in patients receiving adjuvant taxane-containing therapy for operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(25):3051-7
- Li T, Guo M, Gradishar WJ, Sparano JA, Perez EA, Wang M, Sledge GW. A phase II trial of capecitabine in combination with the farnesyltransferase inhibitor tipifarnib in patients with anthracycline-treated and taxane-resistant metastatic breast cancer: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study (E1103). Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;134(1):345-52.
- Chiuve, SE, Fung, TT, Rimm, EB, Hu, FB, McCullough, ML, Wang M, Stampfer, MJ, Willett, WC. Alternative dietary indices both strongly predict risk of chronic disease. The Journal of Nutrition, 2012; 142: 1009-1018. PMCID:PMC3738221
- Sudfeld CR, Wang M, Aboud S, Mugusi F, Fawzi WW. Vitamin D and HIV Progression among Adults Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy in Tanzania. PLoS One, 2012; 7(6):e40036. PMCID: PMC3386915
- Guwatudde D, Ezeamama AE, Bagenda D, Kyeyune R, Wabwire-Mangen F, Wamani H, Mugusi F, Spiegelman D, Wang M, Manabe YC, Fawzi WW. Multivitamin supplementation in HIV infected adults initiating antiretroviral therapy in Uganda: the protocol for a randomized double blinded placebo controlled efficacy trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:304.
- Sudfeld CR, Giovannucci E, Isanaka S, Wang M, Mugusi, FM, Fawzi WW. Vitamin D status and incidence of pulmonary tuberculosis, opportunistic infections, and wasting among a Tanzanian HIV-infected adult cohort. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2013;207(3):378-85.
- Shuji Ogino, Reiko Nishihara, Paul Lochhead, Yu Imamura, Aya Kuchiba, Teppei Morikawa, Mai Yamauchi, Xiaoyun Liao, Zhi Rong Qian, Ruifang Sun, Kaori Sato, Gregory J. Kirkner, Wang M, Donna Spiegelman, Jeffrey A. Meyerhardt, Eva S. Schernhammer, Andrew T. Chan, Edward Giovannucci and Charles S. Fuchs Prospective Study of Family History and Colorectal Cancer Risk by Tumor LINE-1 Methylation Level. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105(2):130-40. PMCID: PMC3545905
- Sudfeld CR, Isanaka S, Aboud S, Mugusi FM, Wang M, Chalamilla GE, Fawzi WW. Serum albumin and its association with mortality, morbidity, and CD4 T-cell reconstitution among Tanzanians initiating antiretroviral therapy. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2013;207(9):1370-8. PMCID: PMC3610420
- Dariush Mozaffarian D, Rozenn N. Lemaitre, Irena B. King, Xiaoling Song, Hongyan Huang, Frank M. Sacks, Eric B. Rimm, Wang M, David S. Siscovick. Plasma Phospholipid Long-Chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Total and Cause-Specific Mortality in Older Adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2013; 158(7):515-525. PMCID: PMC3698844
- Nishihara R, Lochhead P, Kuchiba A, Jung S, Yamauchi M, Liao X, Imamura Y, Qian ZR, Morikawa T, Wang M, Spiegelman D, Cho E, Giovannucci E, Fuchs CS, Chan AT, Ogino S. Aspirin use and colorectal cancer incidence risk according to BRAF mutation status. JAMA 2013; 309(24):2563-71. PMCID: PMC3743040.
- Christopher Sudfeld, Christopher Duggan, Alex Histed, Karim Manji, Simin Meydani, Said Aboud, Wang, M, Edward Giovannucci, and Wafaie Fawzi. Effect of multivitamin supplementation on measles vaccine response among HIV-exposed uninfected Tanzanian infants. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. 2013; 20(8):1123-32. PMCID: PMC3754503
- Sudfeld CR, Isanaka S, Mugusi FM, Aboud S, Wang M, Chalamilla GE, Giovannucci EL, Fawzi WW. Weight change at 1 mo of antiretroviral therapy and its association with subsequent mortality, morbidity, and CD4 T cell reconstitution in a Tanzanian HIV-infected adult cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jun;97(6):1278-87. PMCID: PMC3652924
- Curhan, S., Eavey, R., Wang, M., Stampfer, M. and Curhan, G. Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference, Physical Activity and Risk of Hearing Loss in Women. The American Journal Of Medicine 2013; 126 (12): 1142 e1-8. PMCID: PMC3848606
- Batool A Haider, Ibironke Olofin, Wang, M, Donna Spiegelman, Majid Ezzati, Wafaie W Fawzi. Anaemia, prenatal iron use, and risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2013;346:3443 PMCID: PMC3689887
- Wang, M, Liao, X. Spiegelman, D. Can efficiency be gained by correcting for misclassification? Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. 2013; 143 (11): 1980-87. PMC3810993
- Hutter CM, Mechanic LE, Chatterjee N, Kraft P, Gillanders EM; NCI Gene-Environment Think Tank. Gene-environment interactions in cancer epidemiology: a National Cancer Institute Think Tank report. Genet Epidemiol. 2013 Nov;37(7):643-57.
- Jung S, Qian ZR, Yamauchi M, Bertrand KA, Fitzgerald KC, Inamura K, Kim SA, Mima K, Sukawa Y, Zhang X, Wang M, Smith-Warner SA, Wu K, Fuchs CS, Chan AT, Giovannucci EL, Ng K, Cho E, Ogino S, Nishihara R. Predicted 25(OH)D score and colorectal cancer risk according to vitamin D receptor expression. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2014 Aug;23(8):1628-37. PMCID: PMC4119536
- Wang Q, Imamura F, Lemaitre RN, Rimm EB, Wang M, King IB, Song X, Siscovick D, Mozaffarian D. Plasma phospholipid trans-fatty acids levels, cardiovascular diseases, and total mortality: the cardiovascular health study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Aug 27;3(4).
- Jeanine M. Genkinger, Wang, M, Ruifeng Li, Demetrius Albanes, Kristin E. Anderson, Leslie Bernstein, Piet A. van den Brandt, Dallas R. English, Jo L. Freudenheim, Charles S. Fuchs, Susan M. Gapstur, Graham G. Giles, Alexandra Goldbohm, Niclas Håkansson, Pamela L. Horn-Ross, Anita Koushik, James R. Marshall, Marjorie L. McCullough, Anthony B. Miller, Kim Robien, Thomas E. Rohan, Catherine Schairer, Rachael Stolzenberg-Solomon, Jarmo Virtamo, Walter C. Willett, Alicja Wolk, Regina G. Ziegler, Stephanie A. Smith-Warner. Dairy products and pancreatic cancer risk: a pooled analysis of 14 cohort studies. Annals of Oncology. In press.
- Darling AM, McDonald CR, Conroy AL, Hayford KT, Liles WC, Wang M, Aboud S, Urassa WS, Kain KC, Fawzi WW. Angiogenic and inflammatory biomarkers in mid-pregnancy and small-for-gestational age outcomes in Tanzania. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In press
- Robin C. Puett, Jaime E. Hart, Jeff D. Yanosky, Donna Spiegelman, Wang, M, Jared A. Fisher, Biling Hong, and Francine Laden. Particulate Matter Air Pollution Exposure, Distance to Road, and Incident Lung Cancer in the Nurses’ Health Study Cohort. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2014; 122 (9): 926-32.
- Curhan, S., Eavey, R.D., Wang, M., Rimm, E., Curhan, G. Fish and fatty acid consumption and the risk of hearing loss in women. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014. In press.
- Tevaarwerk, A.J., Wang, M, ….Nicholas, R.. Phase III Comparison of Tamoxifen vs. Tamoxifen Plus Ovarian Function Suppression in Premenopausal Women with Node-Negative Hormone Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer (E3193, INT-0142): A Trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Journal of Clinical Oncology. In press
- Adams S, Gray RJ, Demaria S, Goldstein L, Perez EA, Shulman LN, Martino S, Wang M, Jones VE, Saphner TJ, Wolff AC, Wood WC, Davidson NE, Sledge GW, Sparano JA, Badve SS. Prognostic Value of Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes (TILs) in Triple Negative Breast Cancers (TNBC) from two Phase III Randomized Adjuvant Breast Cancer Trials: ECOG 2197 and ECOG 1199. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014 Jul 28.