Outreach and Engagement
The Community Outreach and Education Core (COEC) supports the Center’s goal to translate its research into public health policy and clinical practice. The overarching mission of the Core is to form bi-directional community-university partnerships. These partnerships communicate environmental health research to community groups, policy makers, and healthcare professionals and voice the community’s needs and concerns within the Center.
- MIT NIEHS Community Outreach and Education Core
- Greater Boston Environmental Health Nursing Collaborative
- Community Outreach and Education Core at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units
- News articles and lessons geared toward students grades 9-12 that appear in the NIEHS publication Environmental Health Perspectives
- Images of the May 10, 2008 tornado in Oklahoma where our NIEHS Childrens Center research took place (The piles of “chat,” or mine waste, are visible in the distance. The photographer Vaughn Wascovich is a Visiting Scholar associated with our NIEHS Center.)
Ann S.N. Backus, Jeanne Beauchamp Hewitt, Stephanie M. Chalupka. 2006.Using a Site Visit to a Contaminated Location as a Focus for Environmental Health Education for Academic and Public Health Nurses. Public Health Nursing. 23:5. 410-432.