Recipe courtesy of Nancy Harmon Jenkins
- 5–6 medium-size carrots, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Using the large holes of a grater, grate the carrots into a bowl.
In a mortar, pound the garlic to a paste with the caraway and salt. Stir in the lemon juice and harissa, mixing well, then add the olive oil. Beat with a fork or a small wire whisk to amalgamate and immediately pour over the grated carrots. Set aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes to develop the flavors.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 120 ⁄ Protein: 1 g ⁄ Carbohydrate: 6 g ⁄ Fiber: 2 g ⁄ Sodium: 210 mg
Saturated fat: 2 g ⁄ Polyunsaturated fat: 8 g ⁄ Monounsaturated fat: 1 g
Trans fat: 0 g ⁄ Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe courtesy of Joyce Goldstein
- 2 small dried ancho or nora chiles, ground, or 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or ground hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Combine the spices, the salt, the garlic, and some olive oil.
Tunisian Carrots: The Essential Mediterranean, by Nancy Harmon Jenkins (HarperCollins, 2003).
Harissa: Joyce Goldstein
Reproduced from the October 2007 Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives conference, The Culinary Institute of America.
The aim of the Harvard School of Public Health Nutrition Source is to provide timely information on diet and nutrition for clinicians, allied health professionals, and the public. The contents of this Web site are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Web site. The information does not mention brand names, nor does it endorse any particular products.