In the event that the school needs to be evacuated, please expect the following:
- The alarm system will sound a pre-signal, a series of four tones at approximately one second intervals.
- The alarm system will then provide a taped message: ”Attention Please. The signal tone you have just heard indicated a report of an emergency in this building. If your floor evacuation signal sounds after this message, walk to the nearest stairway and leave the floor. While the report is being verified, occupants on the other floors should await further instruction.”
- If your floor is being evacuated, the alarm will then commence a “slow whoop” tone as the evacuation signal.
- Proceed to the nearest stairwell and toward the building exit. Detailed evacuation procedures are attached to the entrance doors of your department, center or office. Never take the elevator.
- Make your way to the evacuation assembly area for your building:
- Countway Plaza – Kresge, SPH1, SPH2
- Huntington Avenue/Palace Lot – FXB
- Once the building is declared safe, authorities will tell those in the assembly area that they may re-enter the building.
People with Disabilities
In the event you hear the evacuation alarm:
- Call HUPD at 617-432-1212.
- Give them the building, room, and phone number for the location of the person with disabilities. Be sure to include the nature of disability preventing evacuation by stair (e.g. wheelchair, crutches, respiratory problems, etc).
- Emergency personnel will be dispatched to assist the person with disabilities.
- Stay in the location given to HUPD or suggest an alternate location if the emergency is close to you. A stairwell landing or restroom may provide temporary shelter.