Where do I find a practice placement opportunity?
- Each student is responsible for locating her or his own practicum.
- In preparation for seeking an opportunity consider the following: inventory your related skills and experiences, identify the skills you would like to develop, and update your resume. Check on Preparing for Practice Experience.
- Agencies/organizations that have worked with HSPH students are listed on this website (Practice Sites). Practice course instructors, faculty advisors, and fellow students may also be a source for opportunities.
When should I begin the preparation for the practicum?
Since each program has different practice guidelines, check the handbook for your program and work with your practice instructor. In general, allow yourself 3 – 4 months lead time. The practicum and all its requirements must be fulfilled before graduation.
Once I find a practice experience, how do I obtain approval?
To ensure your practice experience meets the requirements of your degree program, you should be sure to obtain approval from your practice instructor BEFORE accepting or committing to an organization. .
1. Submit a Practicum Proposal form to the Practice Instructor at least three weeks prior to the start of your Practice Course.
2. Answer any questions the Practice Instructor may have about the proposal. Once the Practice Instructor is satisfied be sure to obtain his/her sign-off on the Proposal.
3. Meet with the Preceptor to detail the work using the Practice Placement Agreement Form. Obtain your Preceptor’s signature on this form, sign the form yourself, and submit to the Practice Instructor for final approval.
Do I need to have a human subjects committee review?
Every student needs to be aware of human subjects requirements. General guidelines are listed on the Practice Guidelines page, AND, each student should discuss the human subjects requirements with his or her practice instructor. If you have questions or concerns with human subjects research, please contact Julie Kaberry at the Office of Human Research Administration.
Please follow this link to the Office of Human Research Administration website for information on whether HSPH Student Researchers can act as PIs on the various types of HSPH protocols.
What should I do when my practice experience is completed?
Each department and practice course has its own requirements for completion of the practice experience. Please check with your practice course instructor(s) for details. In general a paper about the work as well as a classroom presentation or Poster Session will be needed to obtain a grade for the Practice Course. Your Practice Instructor will provide details in the Course Syllabus.
What should my on-site preceptor do at the end of the practice experience?
You should be sure to request an evaluation form from your preceptor’s session. Check the guidelines of your program. A practice evaluation form is available. However, please check with your practice course instructors for individual department requirements.