MD/MPH Combined Degree Program
The MD/MPH combined degree program allows current medical students to undertake the MPH program while on leave of absence between the third and fourth year of medical school. MD/MPH students receive the MPH degree upon successful completion of both programs and conferral of the doctoral degree.
Students enrolled in the combined MD/MPH program at HSPH must understand and agree to the following terms and conditions:
- You are currently on a leave of absence from your medical school.
- The Master of Public Health (MPH) degree will be awarded only after your MD has been awarded, and not earlier.
- MD/MPH students have 3 years upon completion of the academic requirements for the MPH to complete the MD degree and submit proof of MD degree conferral. If this timeline is not met, the student will be withdrawn from degree candidacy for the MPH. In this case a student would have to make a formal request for reinstatement in order to be awarded the MPH degree upon submission of proof of MD conferral.
- The MPH degree will be voted during the next degree-granting period, after the HSPH Registrar’s Office has received proof that your MD degree has been awarded. The degree granting periods are in November, March, and May. Degrees are not voted outside those established degree-granting dates. You will be notified of the deadline for submitting proof of your MD degree conferral by the HSPH Registrar.
- Proof of degree conferral is limited to an official final transcript received in the HSPH Registrar’s Office directly from your medical school, showing the conferral of the MD degree and the date on which it was conferred. Letters from the medical school’s registrar verifying an expected MD graduation date will not be considered by the Registrar’s Office.
- The HSPH Registrar’s Office will notify you once your final MD transcript has been received. You should contact the Registrar’s Office if notification is not received within 30 days of the transcript’s mailing.
- You must keep the HSPH Registrar’s Office informed of any changes to contact information (including email and postal mail addresses) after completing your coursework at HSPH. The Registrar’s Office will convey important information to you via your HSPH email address until your MPH is awarded. Please forward this email to an address you will check regularly to avoid missing any important deadlines.
- You are expected to notify the HSPH Registrar’s Office of any circumstances that will directly impact your expected MPH graduation date.
Information on participating in the HSPH and Harvard University Commencement ceremonies can be found on the Commencement Corner website.