My current research interests lie in the innate immune defense of the lungs. I work on the role of class A lung macrophage scavenger receptors MARCO and SRA1 in antiviral immunity, and investigate the molecular mechanism of their function. Another ongoing project includes screening of small peptides for antiviral host defense function. Past research experience includes cellular and molecular mechanism of inflammation, autoimmunity and infectious diseases.
1. Zhu M, Flynt L, Ghosh S, Mellema M, Banerjee A, Williams E, Panettieri RA, Shore SA. Anti-
inflammatory Effects of Thiazolidinediones in Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cells. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Physiology 2010 (Articles in Press. Published on September 24, 2010 as doi:10.1165/rcmb.2009-0445OC).
2. Ghosh S, Hoenerhoff MJ, Clayton N, Stumpo DJ, Maronpot RR, Blackshear PJ. Left-sided cardiac valvulitis in tristetraprolin-deficient mice. The role of tumor necrosis factor alpha. American Journal of Pathology 2010;176:1484-1493.
3. Majumder N, Dey R, Mathur RK, Datta S, Maitra M, Ghosh S, Saha B, Majumdar S. An unusual pro-inflammatory role of interleukin-10 induced by arabinosylated lipoarabinomannan in murine peritoneal macrophages. Glycoconjugate Journal 2006 Dec; 23(9):675-86
4. Cao H, Lin R, Ghosh S, Anderson RA, Urban JF. Production and characterization of ZFP36L1 antiserum against recombinant protein from Escherishia coli. Biotechnology Progress 2008 Mar-Apr;24(2):326-33.
5. Blackshear P, Phillips RS, Ghosh S, Richfield EK, Lai W, and Blackshear PJ. Zfp36L3, a rodent X- chromosome gene encoding a placenta-specific member of the Tristetraprolin family of CCCH tandem zinc finger proteins. Biology of Reproduction 2005 Aug;73(2):297-307.
6. Stumpo DJ, Byrd NA, Phillips RS, Ghosh S., Maronpot RR, Castranio T, Myers EN, Mishina Y, Blackshear PJ. Chorioallantoic fusion defects and embryonic lethality resulting from disruption of Zfp36L1, a gene encoding a CCCH tandem zinc finger protein of the tristetraprolin family. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2004 Jul; 24(14):6445-55.
7. Ghosh S, Bhattacharyya S, Sirkar M, Sa G, Das T, Majumder D, Roy S, and Majumder S. Leishmania donovani suppresses activated protein 1 and NF-kB activation in host macrophages via ceramide generation: involvement of extracellular signal-regulated kinase. Infection and Immunity 2002 Dec;70(12): 6828-6838
8. Bhattacharyya S, Ghosh S, Dasgupta B, Majumder D, Roy S, and Majumdar S. Chemokine induced leishmanicidal activity in murine macrophages via the generation of nitric oxide. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002 Jun; 185(12): 1704-1708.
9. Ghosh S, Bhattacharyya S, Das S, and Majumdar S. Generation of ceramide in murine macrophages infected with Leishmania donovani alters macrophage signaling events and aids intracellular parasite survival. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2001 Jul; 223 (1-2): 47-60.
10. Bhattacharyya S, Ghosh S, Johnson PL, Bhattacharya SK, and Majumdar S. Immunomodulatory role of IL-10 in visceral leishmaniasis: defective activation of PKC mediated signal transduction events. Infection and Immunity 2001 Mar; 69(3): 1499-1507.
11. Bhattacharyya S, Ghosh S, Sen P, Roy S, and Majumdar S. Selective impairment of Protein Kinase C isotypes in murine macrophages by L. donovani. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry Jan; 216: 47-57.
12. Das S, Bhattacharyya S, Ghosh S, and Majumdar S. Signal transduction mechanism in human neutrophil: Comparative study between the b and z protein kinase C isotypes. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2000 Jan; 203(1-2): 143-151.
13. Das S, Bhattacharyya S, Ghosh S, and Majumdar S. TNF-a induced altered signaling mechanism in human neutrophil. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 1999 Jul; 197(1-2): 97-108.
14. Ghosh S, Pal S, Das S, Dasgupta SK, and Majumdar S. Lipoarabinomannan induced cytotoxic effects in human mononuclear cells. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology 1998 Jul; 21(3): 181-188.