Senior Research Scientist
Dr. Evans is a Senior Research Scientist at Harvard University where he teaches clinical trials and is the Director of the Statistical and Data Management Center for the Antibacterial Resistance Leadership Group. He has received the 2015 Mosteller Statistician of the Year Award, the Robert Zackin Distinguished Collaborative Statistician Award for significant statistical contributions to HIV research, a Recognition Award for contributions of statistical expertise to the Harvard School of Public Health IRB, and he is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association (ASA). Dr. Evans is a member of an FDA Advisory Committee and has served and chaired numerous Data Monitoring Committees and Scientific Advisory Committees. Dr. Evans is a member of the Board of Directors for the Society for Clinical Trials and Mu Sigma Rho, the National Honorary Society for Statistics. He is the Executive Editor for CHANCE, the Editor-in-Chief of Statistical Communications in Infectious Diseases, the Past-President of the Boston Chapter of the ASA, the Past-Chair of the Development Committee of ASA, the Past-Chair of the Teaching Statistics in the Health Sciences section of ASA, and the Past-Chair of the Statistics in Sports section of ASA.
Dr. Evans is a Visiting Professor at the Department of Medical Statistics at Osaka University in Japan and has taught numerous short courses on topics in clinical trials as professional meetings such as the JSM, SCT, BASS, the Deming Conference on Applied Statistics, the FDA-Industry Statistics Workshop, the DIA/FDA Statistics Forum, the Graybill Conference, and at the FDA (CDER and CDRH). He’s delivered keynote addresses at the Midwest Biopharmaceutical Statistics Workshop and the Multidisciplinary Symposium on Non-Inferiority Trials in Brazil, and invited addresses to the Japanese Biometric Society, Japanese National Institute of Public Health, and the Statistical Society of Australia.
- Asakura K, Hamasaki T, Sugimoto T, Hayashi K, Evans SR, Sozu T. Sample size determination in group-sequential clinical trials with two co-primary endpoints. Statistics in Medicine. 2015.
- Ando Y, Hamasaki T, Evans SR, Asakura K, Sugimoto T, Sozu T, Ohno Y. Sample size considerations in clinical trials when comparing two interventions using multiple co-primary binary relative risk contrasts. Statistics in Bipopharmaceutical Research. 2015.
- Hamasaki T, Asakura K, Evans SR, Sugimoto T, Sozu T. Group-sequential strategies in clinical trials with multiple co-primary outcomes. Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research. 2015.
- Chambers HF, Bartlett JG, Bonomo RA, Cosgrove S, Cross H, Daum RS, Evans SR, Kreiswirth B, Lautenbach E, Patel R, Pettigrew MM, Rodvold K, Spellberg B, Fowler VG. Antibacterial Resistance Leadership Group: Open for Business. CID. 2014.
- Sugimoto T, Sozu T, Hamasaki T, Evans SR. A logrank test-based method for sizing clinical trials with two co-primary time-to- events endpoints. Biostatistics. 2013.
- Hamasaki T, Evans SR. Noninferiority Clinical Trials: Issues in Design, Monitoring, Analyses, and Reporting. Igaku no Ayumi (Japanese) Translation: Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 2013.
- Hamasaki T, Sugimoto T, Evans SR, Sozu T. Sample size determination for clinical trials with co-primary outcomes: Exponential event-times. Pharmaceutical Statistics. 2012.
- Evans SR, Ellis RJ, Chen H, Ye, Yeh TM, Lee AJ, Schifitto G, Wu K, Bosch RJ, McArthur JC, Simpson DM, Clifford DB, “Peripheral Neuropathy in HIV: Prevalence and Risk Factors”, AIDS, 25:919-928, 2011.
- Evans SR, “Fundamentals of Clinical Trial Design”, Journal of Experimental Stroke & Translational Medicine, 2010.
- Evans SR, “Clinical Trial Structures”, Journal of Experimental Stroke & Translational Medicine, 2010.
- Evans SR, “Common Statistical Concerns in Clinical Trials”, Journal of Experimental Stroke & Translational Medicine, 2010.
- Evans SR, “Estudos Clinicos de Nao-Inferioridade”, Revista Brasileira de Medicina, 2010.
- Evans SR, “Noninferiority Clinical Trials”, Chance, 22:3:53-58, 2009.
- Li L, Evans SR, Uno H, Wei LJ, “Predicted Interval Plots: A Graphical Tool for Data Monitoring in Clinical Trials”, Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research, 1:4:348-355, 2009.
- Evans SR, Clifford DB, Kitch DW, Goodkin D, Schifitto G, McArthur JC, Simpson DM, “Simplification of the Research Diagnosis of HIV-Associated Peripheral Neuropathy”, HIV Clinical Trials, 9:6:434-438, 2008.
- Evans SR, Li L, Wei LJ, “Data Monitoring in Clinical Trials Using Prediction”, Drug Information Journal, 41:733-742, 2007.
- Evans SR, Fichtenbaum C, Aberg J, “Comparison of Direct and Indirect Measurement of LDL in HIV Infected Individuals: ACTG 5087”, HIV Clinical Trials, 8:1:45-52, 2007.
- Evans SR, “When and How Can Endpoints Be Changed after Initiation of a Randomized Clinical Trial?” Public Library of Science (PLoS) Clinical Trials 2(4): e18. doi:10.1371/journal.pctr.0020018, 2007.
- Evans SR, Simpson D, Kitch DW, King A, Clifford DB, Cohen BA, McArthur JC, “A Randomized Trial Evaluating Prosaptide™ for HIV-Associated Sensory Neuropathies: Use of an Electronic Diary to Record Neuropathic Pain”, PLoS ONE, 2(7): e551. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000551, 2007.
- Evans SR, Wang R, Haija R, Zhang J, Rajicic N, Xanthakis V, Peeples L, Anderson J, Sinha S, “Evaluation of Distance Learning in an Introduction to Biostatistics Course”, Statistical Education Research Journal, 6(2):59-77, 2007.
- Evans SR, Li L, “A Comparison of Goodness of Fit Tests for the Logistic GEE Model”, Statistics in Medicine, 24:1245-1261, 2005.
- Evans SR, Hosmer DW, “Goodness of Fit Tests for Mixed Effects Logistic Models”, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, 33:5:1139-1155, 2004.
- Evans SR, Hosmer DW, “Goodness of Fit Tests for Logistic GEE Models: Simulation Results”, Communications in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, 33:1:247-258, 2004.
- Evans SR, Testa MA, Cooley TP, Krown SE, Paredes J, Von Roenn JH, “A Phase II Evaluation of Low-Dose Oral Etoposide for the Treatment of Relapsed or Progressed AIDS-Related Kaposi’s Sarcoma: An ACTG Clinical Study”, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20:15:3236-3241, 2002.