The Statistical Computing Core is responsible for supporting the computational needs of all program investigators. Specifically, the core:
- advises program investigators on computational aspects of their work;
- provides educational tutorials and training as appropriate;
- provides specialized advice and support in terms of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and bioinformatics;
- serves as a Liaison with the Information Technology Department at the Harvard School of Public Health to ensure that all program investigators have adequate support through the school's high performance Linux cluster;
- creates and maintains a program website; and
- works with program investigators to take their prototype programs and turn them into flexible, efficient, robust, well-documented, and user-friendly R libraries that can be distributed through the online R archive, as well as via the program website.