The 2015 HSPH Student Photo Contest submission deadline is February 11, 2015
There are two categories in which you can enter photo submissions:
- Single Photo Contest – each participant may submit up to five single photos; each photograph must be a separate entry.
- Photo Series Contest – no more than six photos can make up one series. The photos in the series must tell a story to reflect the theme. Each participant may submit up to three photo series; each photo series must be a separate entry.
Photographs that have won other competitions, either online or in print are not eligible for submission.
Each entry must comply with the following requirements:
- Must be the student’s own work
- Must portray relevance to “public health”
- Must be submitted electronically as a JPEG, PNG or TIF file between 2MB and 10MB in size.
- Competition administrators may ask for resubmissions if photo does not arrive in a format that allows printing as a poster (up to 24”x36”) in 300dpi.
- May be altered, provided that alterations (e.g., color correction, cropping, etc.) do not render false or deceitful depictions of the original image.
- Must not contain material that violates or infringes upon another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copy-right infringement; entrants may be requested to provide a signed written personal re-lease from recognizable and identifiable persons in the photograph submitted.
- Must not contain brand names or trademarks.
- Must be accompanied by a date, location, title (or photo graph or series) and caption.
We will not consider entries that contain material that (a) is unsuitable, obscene, defamatory, slanderous or libelous; (b) violates human rights and dignity; or (c) promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promote discrimination in any regard.
How to Enter
To enter your photographs please fill out the form here.
Your picture should be named as follows:
LastNameSingle or Series 001; for example, a students 5th entry to the Single Photo contest would be named, FrenkSingle005, the same student’s entry to the series contest would be named FrenkSeries1of6, his second series entry would be named Frenk2Series10f6 and so on.
*Do not send Zip or Rar files, each image must be an individual file.*
By entering a photo in this competition, the entrant retains all rights.
However, entrants grant Harvard School of Public Health a nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to edit, adapt, reproduce, and publish the photo, and Harvard School of Public Health may use the photo or video for any purposes in marketing, advertising, production of publicity and other materials for gift or sale, and in any and all media now known or subsequently developed without attribution, compensation, permission or further notification to the entrant. When possible, photo credit will be provided to the photographer in uses in print.
To the extent possible, each photographer should obtain a signed release from (1) all recognizable and identifiable persons who appear in the photo (or from their parents or legal guardians, if such persons are minors), and/or (2) the copyright owner of any artwork or other copyrighted material that appears in the photo or video entry. Should an entrant’s photograph be selected, he or she may be requested to provide such releases.
There will be 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes in the Single Entry Category and a “Best in Series” chosen from the Photo Essay Category.
Winning photos will be printed and displayed around HSPH, on the HSPH website and other various HSPH/Harvard publications and be included in a photo gallery.
Submissions will be judged on creativity, accuracy of information and relevance to public health.
Photos will be voted on by a panel of judges from the HSPH community.
Announcement of Winners
The winners will be announced in Student News and at a reception at HSPH (date to be announced later). The winners also will be featured on the Photo Contest website. The office for Student Affairs will contact the winner via email.