2014-2015 Takemi Program Calendar and Seminar Schedule
The Takemi Program Seminars occur weekly on Thursdays 3:30-5pm
HSPH, Building 1, Room 1208 (12th Floor Conference Room)
August 25-29- HSPH Orientation
Tuesday, August 26 (12:00-1:00pm)- Global Health and Population Department Orientation, Kresge G-1
Monday, September 1- HSPH CLOSED- LABOR DAY
September 2- Fall Semester Begins
Tuesday, September 2 (2:00-5:00pm)- Takemi Program Orientation and Reception
- 2:30-3:45pm: Takemi Program Orientation
- 3:45-4:00pm: Harvard Bridge Information Session, John Antonellis
- 4:00-5:00pm: Takemi Program Welcome Reception
September 4- NO SEMINAR
September 11 (3:30-5:00pm): Richard Cash, Senior Lecturer on Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Scaling up Health Programs in Low Income Countries
Friday, September 12 (12:30-1:30pm): California Congressman Raul Ruiz- From HSPH to the U.S. Congress: Leadership Lessons from an Alum *To register for this event is (by lottery), click here.
September 18 (3:30-5:00pm)
- (3:30-4:00pm): Ken Hashimoto: Integration of Chagas disease surveillance into the primary health care service in Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras – what determines the sustainability?
- (4:00-5:00pm): Michael Reich, Taro Takemi Professor of International Health Policy, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Governing Health Systems: For Nations and Communities Around the World
Wednesday, September 24 (12:00-1:00pm), FXB 301 (Lunch will be served)
(1991-92) Takemi Fellow Dr. Uche Amazigo will be visiting HSPH from Nigeria and will present: Defeating river blindness in Africa: Implementation, research and community participation
September 25 (3:30-5:00pm): Anne Lusk, Research Scientist, Department of Nutrition, HSPH.
Tuesday, September 30 (12:30-1:30pm): WordPress Lunch Tutorial for Takemi Fellows: Learn to edit your HSPH Researcher Directory Page.
*Meeting the the Takemi Fellows Office (Building 1, Room 1210A).
October 2 (2:00-4:00pm) Preliminary Presentations
- 2:00-2:30pm: Maryam Farvid: Dietary intakes and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma incidence and mortality: the Golestan Cohort Study
- 2:30-3:00pm: El-Fatih El-Samani: Development of a diploma/master’s degree in epidemiology training program for Sudan and neighboring countries
- 3:00-3:30pm: Dario Novak: Social Capital and Youth Physical Activity: High School Population-Based Study in Croatia
- 3:30-4:00pm: Shin Tomioka: Inequality of medical care for dementia patients
Wednesday, October 8 (1:00-2:00pm)- Preliminary Presentations- *We are meeting in GHP 11th Floor Conference Room (Room 1110) for this session
- 1:00-1:30pm: Takemi Fellows Lunch Meeting
- 1:30-2:00pm: Haeyoung Kwon: Explaining the market expansion mechanism in Korea after the entry of generic drugs; the impact of new generic policy on market competition among off-patent drugs
October 9 (3:00-5:00pm)- Preliminary Presentations
- 3:00-3:30pm: Sang Min Park: Analysis of healthcare status, health aid trend and aid effectiveness of North Korea
- 3:30-4:00pm: Nadeem Alduaij: Ethnocracies and Health: Political Economy of Health in the Arab States of the Gulf
- 4:00-4:30pm: Shogo Kanamori (tentative): Effectiveness in introducing the Japanese 5S concept to healthcare facilities in developing countries
- 4:30-5:00pm: Junko Tanuma: The Multi-Center HIV Cohort Studies in Asia: Hanoi HIV Cohort and East Asia Clinical HIV Cohort
Monday, October 13- HSPH CLOSED- COLUMBUS DAY
Tuesday, October 14 (3:00-5:00)- Preliminary Presentations- *
- 3:00-3:30pm: Svetlana Doubova: Socio-demographic characteristics, health status and use of health services of older adults with and without social security in Mexico: Implications for health policy
- 3:30-4:00pm: Sujin Kim: Evaluating the effect of Korean drug pricing policies on providers
- 4:00-4:30pm: Maggie Kwok: Where do socioeconomic inequalities in cardiovascular disease originate? Money, Income Inequality, Grade and Rank in a Non-western Rapidly Transitioned Setting (MIGRANTS)
- 4:30-5:00pm: Ahmed Daak: Development of comprehensive primary health care and prevention program for sickle cell disease in Sudan
October 16- (No Seminar) GHP Department Social, 3:30-6:30pm, 12th Floor Conference Room
October 23 (3:30-5:00)- Till Bärnighausen, Associate Professor of Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Title to be announced.
October 30 (3:30-5:00)- Barry Bloom, Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor and Joan L. and Julius H. Jacobson Professor of Public Health, Department of Immunology and Infectious DiseasesDepartment of Global Health and Population, HSPH (former Dean, HSPH)- Title to be announced.
November 6 (3:30-5:00)- Speaker to be announced.
Tuesday, November 11- HSPH CLOSED- VETERANS DAY
November 13 (3:30-5:00)- Veronika Wirtz, Associate Professor, Center for Global Health and Development, Boston University and Corrina Moucheraud, SD candidate, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Decision making for the World Health Organization’s Essential Medicines List: Examining the role of economic data
November 20 (3:30-5:00)- Speaker to be announced.
November 27- NO SEMINAR (Thanksgiving)
November 27-28: HSPH CLOSED- THANKSGIVING
December 4 (3:30-5:00)- Marc Mitchell, Lecturer on Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- mHealth: revolutionizing health care delivery
December 11 (3:30-5:00)- Nancy Krieger, Professor of Social Epidemiology, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, HSPH.
December 18 (3:30-5:00pm): Takemi Program Holiday Tea Party- An informal gathering to celebrate the end of the Fall Semester, and the upcoming Holiday Season.
Friday December 19- Last day of classes for Fall Semester
Wednesday, December 24 1pm to Thursday, January 1- HSPH CLOSED- WINTER BREAK
Winter Session: January 5-23, 2015
No weekly Seminars will be scheduled during Winter Session.
January 26- Spring Semester begins and Takemi Program Events Resume
January 29 (3:30-5pm): Nancy Turnbull, Senior Lecturer on Health Policy, Associate Dean for Professional Education, Department of Health Policy and Management, HSPH- Discussion: US Healthcare System
February- Mid-Year Presentations (tentatively scheduled for Feb. 5, 12, 19, 26)
March 16-20- Spring Break
Late April and May- Final Presentations and Certificate Ceremony
May 15- Spring Semester ends
May 28- HSPH Commencement
June- Japan Medical Association Visit (includes Takemi Fellows presentation session)