2013-2014 Takemi Program Schedule
2012-2013 Takemi Program Calendar and Seminar Schedule
The Takemi Program Seminars occur weekly on Thursdays 3:30-5pm
(unless otherwise noted)
HSPH, Building 1, Room 1208 (12th Floor Conference Room)
August 26-30- HSPH Orientation
Tuesday, August 27 (12:00-1:00pm)- Global Health and Population Department Orientation, Kresge G-1
Monday, September 2- HSPH CLOSED- LABOR DAY
September 3- Fall Semester Begins
Tuesday, September 3 (2:00-5:00pm)- Takemi Program Orientation and Reception
- 2:00-2:30pm: Harvard Bridge Information Session, John Antonellis
- 2:30-4:00pm: Takemi Program Orientation
- 4:00-5:00pm: Takemi Program Welcome Reception
September 5- NO SEMINAR
September 12- *Please note change in time for this session
- 4:00-5:00pm- Michael R. Reich, Taro Takemi Professor of International Health Policy, and Director, Takemi Program in International Health, HSPH
Tuesday, September 17 (12:30-1:30pm)- WordPress Tutorial Session: Editing your HSPH Researcher Directory Page- We will meet in the Takemi Fellows’ Office and lunch will be provided. RSVP required.
September 19- Group Photo and Preliminary Presentations
- 3:00-3:30pm: Group Photo
- 3:30-4:00pm: Maryam Farvid, Adolescent and Adult Diet in Relation to Breast Cancer Risk
- 4:00-4:30pm: Nadia Fiori, Asthma Symptoms and Tobacco Workers in Southern Brazil
September 26 (3:30-5:00pm)- Preliminary Presentations
- 3:30-4:00pm: Tae-Jin Lee, Does Universal Health Coverage Provide Proper Financial Protection in Korea?
- 4:00-4:30pm: Tamil Kendall, Women’s Health Rights and Realities: The Policy and Practice of Integrating HIV with Sexual and Reproductive Health Services in Mexico
- 4:30-5:00pm: Shinichi Tomioka, Compression of Morbidity in Japan: Structure of disease and long-term care
Monday, September 30 (12:30-2:30pm)- Preliminary Presentations
*Please note the change in time and day for this session
- 12:30-1:00pm: Sujin Kim, Effect of the policy to reduce OOP payment on Equity in Cancer Screening in South Korea
- 1:00-1:30pm: Chun Hao, The efficacy of peer-to-peer advertising through mobile communication tool on promoting HIV testing among Men Who Have Sex with Men
- 1:30-2:00pm: Melani Cammett, Islamist Politics and the Quality of Primary Health Care in the Middle East
- 2:00-2:30pm: Marika Nomura-Baba, Recent trends in global nutrition policy and implications for Japan
October 3 (3:30-5:00pm)- IRB Information Session, Harvard LMA Office of Human Research Administration (OHRA): Alyssa Speier (QA/QI Education Specialist) and Kimberly Serpico (IRB Review Specialist). RSVP required.
October 10 (4:00-6:00)- Takemi Program 30th Anniversary Symposium Welcome Reception
Friday, October 11 & Saturday, October 12: Takemi Program 30th Anniversary Symposium
Monday, October 14- HSPH CLOSED- COLUMBUS DAY
October 17 (3:30-5:00)- Richard Cash, Senior Lecturer on Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Limiting the impact of natural disasters in low income countries
October 24- 25: Harvard School of Public Health Centennial Celebration
October 24 (3:30-5:00)- NO SEMINAR
October 31 (3:30-5:00)- Ole Norheim, Visiting Professor of Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Priority Setting for Better Health: Experience From Some European Countries
November 7 (3:30-5:00)- Marc Mitchell, Lecturer on Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- D-Tree International: Bringing evidence-based medicine to frontline health workers worldwide
Monday, November 11- HSPH CLOSED- VETERANS DAY
November 14 (3:30-5:00)- Speaker to be announced.
November 21 (3:30-5:00)- Till Bärnighausen, Associate Professor of Global Health, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- The impact of antiretroviral treatment on population health in a rural South Africa: new evidence using quasi-experimental data
November 28- NO SEMINAR
November 28-29: HSPH CLOSED- THANKSGIVING
December 5 (3:30-5:00)- Nancy Turnbull, Senior Lecturer on Health Policy & Associate Dean for Educational Programs, Department of Health Policy and Management, HSPH- US Healthcare
December 12 (3:30-5:00)- Greg Connolly, Professor of the Practice of Public Health, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, HSPH- Global Governance of Tobacco for Health
Friday, December 13 (5:00-7:00pm)- Department of Global Health and Population Holiday Party (FXB Atrium)
- 12:30-1:30pm: Meg Henning- Final Presentation- Understanding the role of resilience for OVC’s and education in Zambia
- 3:30-5:00pm: Takemi Program Holiday Tea Party- An informal gathering to celebrate the end of the Fall Semester, and the upcoming Holiday Season.
Friday December 20- Last day of classes for Fall Semester
Tuesday, December 24 1pm to Wednesday, January 1- HSPH CLOSED- WINTER BREAK
No weekly Seminars will be scheduled during Winter Session.
January 30 (3:30-5:00pm)- Günther Fink, Assistant Professor of International Health Economics, Department of Global Health and Population, HSPH- Evaluating the Impact of Brazil’s Family Health Program (PSF) – Evidence from Sao Paulo’s Western Region
February 6 (3:30-5:00pm)- Mid-Year Presentations
February 13 (3:30-5:00pm)- Mid-Year Presentations
February 20 (3:30-5:00pm)- Mid-Year Presentations
February 27 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
March 6 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
March 13 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
March 17-21: Spring Break
March 20- NO SEMINAR- SPRING BREAK
March 27 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
April 3 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
April 10 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
April 17 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
April 24 (3:30-5:00pm)- Speaker to be announced.
May 1 (3:30-5:00pm)- Final Presentations
Mary 8 (3:30-5:00pm)- Final Presentations
May 15 (3:30-5:00pm)- Final Presentations
May 22- Takemi Program Certificate Ceremony (tentative)
May 29- HSPH Commencement