- 1st Year Graduate Student in HSPH BPH Program, July 2013-present
- Research Assistant, November 2008-July 2013
- B.S. in Human Physiology, Boston University, 2008
- M.A. in Nutrition and Metabolism from Boston University School of Medicine, 2013
Broadly, I am interested in the molecular mechanisms underlying obesity, but also the molecular link between obesity and other comorbidities (such as certain cancers and infectious diseases). In the Horng Lab, I am currently studying the role of nutrient sensing pathways in macrophage function. My projects has relevance to conditions such as obesity, in which nutrient sensing pathways are chronically perturbed resulting in aberrations in tissue resident macrophages and altered innate immune function.
- Vanessa Byles1, Lijia Zhu1, Jenna D. Lovaas, Laura K. Chmilewski, Joyce Wang, Douglas V. Faller and Yan Dai. “SIRT1 Induces EMT by Cooperating with EMT Inducing Transcription Factors and Enhances Prostate Cancer Migration and Metastasis.” Oncogene. 2012; 31: 4619-29. 1Authors contributed equally
- Tomohiko Murakami1, Johan Ockinger1 JiuJiu Yu2, Vanessa Byles2, Aisleen McColl, Aldebaran Hofer, and Tiffany Horng. “Critical Role for Calcium Mobilization in Activation of the Nlrp3 Inflammasome.” PNAS. 2012; 109: 11282-7. 1Authors Contributed Equally, 2Authors Contributed Equally
- Jenna D. Lovaas, Lijia Zhu, Christine Y. Chiao, Vanessa Byles, Douglas V. Faller, and Yan Dai. “SIRT1 Enhances Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 Expression and Tumor Cell Invasion in Prostate Cancer Cells.” Prostate. 2012.
- Vanessa Byles, Laura K.Chmilewski, Joyce Wang, Lijia Zhu, Lora Forman, Douglas V. Faller and Yan Dai. “Aberrant Cytoplasmic Localization and Protein Stability of SIRT1 is Regulated by PI3K/IGF-1R Signaling in Human Cancer Cells.” International Journal of Biological Sciences. 2010; 6: 599-612.