Harvard TREC Training Program
The Harvard TREC Education, Training and Outreach Core (HETOC) Training Program will provide mentorship and training opportunities for accepted Harvard TREC trainees. The goal of HETOC Training Program is to provide in-depth learning opportunities, research experience and mentorship to support the development of students, junior investigators and senior investigators from other fields. The Harvard HETOC Training Program will be integrated with the TREC projects and will encourage participation in transdicipinary research.
All individuals interested in participating in the TREC Training Program are required to meet and complete the eligibility criteria listed below. Those interested in applying for the TREC Training Program can apply at anytime.
1) Degree: Individuals with a degree or working towards a degree in epidemiology, biostatistics, nutrition, nursing, genetics, health and the social and behavioral sciences or related fields are eligible to participate in the HETOC Training Program.
2) Mentorship Requirement: Each trainee is required to select a primary mentor who is a faculty member with funding related to the TREC grant or is actively involved with TREC projects and cores. Mentoring relationships will be established based on mutual interests and agreement. The Trainees can use the list of TREC members to choose a mentor (see Table 1.0 of the training manual). Mentors can be selected outside the list of mentors, with permission from Drs. Mattei and Subramanian. Each trainee is required to select a primary mentor and discuss his or her TREC trainee experience with that mentor.
3) Research Participation: All TREC trainees are expected to actively participate in one of the TREC projects, cores, within-TREC projects or cross-TREC projects under the direction of the TREC PI. This is to be discussed with the trainees’ mentor prior to starting the HETOC Training Program.
- Determine if the candidate meets the degree requirement to participate in the TREC Training Program.
- Select a mentor who is a faculty member with funding related to the TREC grant or is actively involved with TREC projects and/or cores.
- The candidate and the mentor will discuss how the candidate will be working with one of the TREC projects, cores, within TREC projects or cross-TREC projects.
- Complete the Harvard TREC Trainee Profile form (provided below).
- Once the document has been completed and reviewed with the mentor, it should be emailed to the TREC Project Coordinator, Renee Miciek (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- After the profile has been reviewed by Drs. Mattei and Subramanian, the applicant will receive an email confirming acceptance in the Harvard TREC Training Program.
Each individual participating in the TREC Training Program is expected to meet or complete the criteria listed below:
- Training Activities (There is no specified number of activities that must be attended. For a list of training activities visit the Seminars and Events Page.)
- Research Participation
- After confirmation of enrollment into the Harvard TREC Training Program you will be required to complete the annual Harvard TREC Training Activities Reporting From (provided below). This form should be reviewed and signed by your mentor. Send the completed form to the TREC Project Coordinator, Renee Miciek (email@example.com) by January 1st of every year of participation in the Harvard TREC Training Program.