Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Common Applicant Questions
Have not yet received email to access MyFinaid
The Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Application is now available. If you have not yet received an email with instructions on how to log in to MyFinaid and complete your Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship application, first make sure that your SOPHAS application is complete.
- If your SOPHAS is complete, check for an email from Admissions Office with the subject line: Action Required: Harvard Chan School Applicant Credentials and an email from the Financial Aid Office with subject line: Harvard Chan – OFA – MyFinaid Access. Please contact our office if you have not received this email by December 15, 2021.
- If your SOPHAS application is complete and you still have not received either email, you can expect to receive both of these emails on January 3rd, 2022.
Unable to submit the Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Application
If you are trying to submit the Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Application and are getting the following error message: “System Error, contact your IT department for help… We apologize for the inconvenience. Contact the financial aid office if you still have problems using this application. Thank you for visiting our site. Error Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object” please see below:
- The most common reason is that you did not fill out a required (*) question. Even if the answer is “0” you will have to enter that into the form in order to submit. Please double check that all questions are answered.
- If you are still having issues, please send a screenshot of the error you are experiencing to our office at email@example.com and we will be sure to resolve it prior to the deadline of January 8th, 2022.
Not authorized to access this application
If you are receiving the following error message when trying to log into MyFinaid: “You are currently not authorized to access this application. Please contact the HUIT Service Desk at 617-495-7777 for assistance,” send a screen shot of your error message to our office at financialaid@hsph.Harvard.edu. We will work on resolving the issue prior to the Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Deadline of January 8, 2022.
If you are receiving the following error message when trying to log in: “Your MFA provider has denied your attempt at second-factor authentication. Contact your system administrator for help in restoring your account” and need help claiming your HarvardKey or are entering invalid login ID and/or password, please contact the IT Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 432-4357(HELP).
What information do I need to complete the Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Application?
The Harvard Chan Grant/Scholarship Application is a short application that will collect some general, income, savings, and assets information from you. You will need to provide information on your 2021 income. It does not allow for the submission of documents or long text responses.
In addition, if you are a domestic student (except MPH-EPI applicants), in order to provide a complete financial aid package at the time of admission, we strongly encourage applicants to complete FAFSA by January 8th deadline.
Am I eligible for grant/scholarship aid?
We encourage all applicants (domestic, international, and undocumented) in eligible degree programs complete our grant/scholarship application regardless of their level of financial need.
International and domestic students are eligible for the same types of Harvard Chan grant/scholarship funding.
How do I submit my statement for the overcoming disadvantage and adversity (Louis & Ida Tatelman Award)?
If you plan to submit a statement on overcoming disadvantage and adversity, you will be able to upload a 1-2 page essay through MyFinaid. After you submit your application, refresh your webpage or log out and log back in. The upload feature will be located under your main page or by navigating your menu bar to documents and messages.
Am I eligible for federal aid? Do I need to complete the FAFSA?
International students are not eligible for federal aid and do not need to complete the FAFSA.
Other Scholarship Opportunities? External Aid?
Our office has information on other Harvard Funding Opportunities with separate applications, as well as External Scholarship Resources. The page on external scholarship also includes tips from a former student on how to go about searching. We have compiled the resources we are aware of, but encourage applicants to do their own searches.
I submitted my FAFSA but it is still showing as Not Received in MyFinaid
- If you submitted your 2022-2023 FAFSA in the last 3-5 business days, it is likely that our office has not received it yet. In the meantime, you can log in to your Federal Student Aid account to check the status of your submission and verify that you included the correct school code (E00214 – Harvard School of Public Health).
- If it has been more than 3-5 business days, please be aware that our office is closed for Winter Break from 5pm ET on December 17th through 9am ET on January 3rd. No FAFSAs are going to be loaded during that time. We recommend following the step above to verify that you selected the correct school code. Please check your MyFinaid after 12pm ET on January 3rd for an updated status.
The deadline to apply for grant/scholarship aid is on January 8th. We will be holding drop-in sessions to answer any applicant questions the week of January 3rd, 2022:
Monday, January 3rd from 3:00 – 4:00pm ET
Tuesday, January 4th from 10:00 – 11:00am ET
Wednesday, January 5th from 12:00 – 1:00pm ET
Zoom link (same for all times): https://harvard.zoom.us/j/4659154495
Join by telephone (use any number to dial in)
+1 929 436 2866
+1 301 715 8592
+1 312 626 6799
+1 669 900 6833
+1 253 215 8782
+1 346 248 7799
International numbers available: https://harvard.zoom.us/u/adQLLf6Efm
One tap mobile: +19294362866,,4659154495# US (New York)
Join by SIP conference room system
Meeting ID: 465 915 4495
These drop-in sessions will be a group format, so if you have personal questions about the process, we recommend scheduling an individual appointment for the week of January 3rd, 2022.