Welcome to the 2021-22 Department of Biostatistics Career Development Series!
This series picks up where general career development resources at HSPH and GSAS leave off, and provides focus that is specific to our students in biostatistics, health data science, computational biology and quantitative genetics. Past seminars have included an overview of careers in biostatistics, job search guidance, CV and resume building, interview prep, package negotiation, soft-skills, and professional panels. Alumni and colleagues from academia, industry, nonprofits, health tech, business, policy, and beyond, visit with our students throughout the year to share insights and experience, and thus contribute to the vital knowledge-experience continuum between our department and the broader field. If you are interested in joining us as a guest speaker, or have ideas regarding this series, please contact Dr. Erin Lake or enter your ideas via this sheet.
School events to watch for:
HSPH Office of Career and Professional Development’s (OCPD) ‘Navigating Your Career at Harvard Chan’
September 2, 2021 at 1:00pm EST
(An orienting view of career supports and services for our students—see the OCPD canvas site as well.)
GSAS Office of Career Services (OCS) Data Analytics, Science & Technology Fair
Friday, September 24, 2021 2:00-5:00pm EST
(The HSPH OCPD will send out registration details for our SM students.)
Conquering the Interview: Erin Lake and Special Guests from Pfizer, BCG Gamma and PayPal
Monday, September 13 & Wednesday September 15, 2021 | 11:30—1:00pm EST (Via Zoom)
(Monday: Overview, Pfizer and BCG Gamma; Wednesday: PayPal and Mock interview practice)
All students are invited to these two consecutive seminars jointly offered by the Career Development Series and the Health Data Science Capstone. Distinct hiring cycles exist in various areas of our field, with that for data science typically commencing earlier in the year than for most (non-academia) biostatistics and computational biology roles. Most roles require interviews, so this topic is applicable for all department degree programs. Join us for an overview of the interview process (with some focus on health data science, but applicable for all), including input and notes from former students, insights and advice from faculty, a visit with several special guests in hiring roles out in the field, and a mock interview session.
Ongoing Career Development Resources
* HSPH and GSAS international students may visit the Harvard International Office (HIO) to attend HIO office hours for information relevant to internships or employment.
* SM and PhD students can access the Office of Career and Professional Development, subscribe to their mailing list, visit virtual drop-in hours, view upcoming events via their dedicated canvas site (link included in their newsletter each week), and follow their events calendar!
* All members of the department may connect to the Department of Biostatistics/Alumnae section of the LinkedIn network.
* Visit the department Slack channels (see earlier email from department with link) for internship and job opportunities. The Slack channels are updated regularly and serve as a bank of announcements and opportunities that the department receives on an ongoing basis (such announcements are not generally sent out by email).
* All students can find interesting reads and keep up with the field via sources including but not limited to ASA’s publications such as Amstat News, STATtrak, and the popular This is Statistics site.