Get to Know Our First-Year PhD Students!

Carmen Beatriz RodriguezHello! My name is Carmen Beatriz Rodriguez. I was born and spent most of my childhood in Constanza, Dominican Republic (literally a town in the mountains). I moved to Washington Heights, New York City in 2006 to live with my grandmother and completed the remaining of my studies in NYS. I graduated from Bard College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics in 2014, and later pursued a M.P.H in Epidemiology and Biostatistics at The City University of New York Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy (CUNY SPH). During my master’s program, I worked both at CUNY SPH as an intern/ independent study at the Institute for implementation science in population health and at the department of Epidemiology at Columbia University Irving Medical Center as a research coordinator/assistant.After graduating in 2017, I accepted a position at Columbia as a Research Project and Data Manager. Here, I managed several NIH/NIC funded studies examining breast cancer screening and prevention mostly among racially diverse immigrant Latinas. I also had the opportunity to collaborate with multidisciplinary faculty, other health professionals, and co-author several publications (published and currently in progress). I am excited to be part of the cancer training grant, and I am looking forward to exploring other research areas in biostatistics. I am particularly interested in learning more about machine learning and precision medicine.

Outside academics, I enjoy dancing (everything, but Latin music has my heart!). I also enjoy outdoor activities, Korean dramas, and I am a big fan of all MARVEL movies. I am currently unpacking, learning my way around Boston and trying to find good coffee shops.

Madhav SankaranarayananHello everyone! My name is Madhav Sankaranarayanan, I’m from Chennai, India. I did my bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in Statistics at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. Over the course of my degree, I have undertaken many academic projects in different areas of Statistics, particularly in Selective Inference, Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods and high dimensional Statistics. Aside from these statistical projects, I worked on two projects that kindled my interest in working with biological datasets. As a part of the Big Data Summer Institute at the University of Michigan, I had worked on the quantitative analysis of polygenic risk scores as a prognostic metric for genetically linked diseases, with reference to the Genes-for-Good dataset. During a Computational Biology program at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, I used population data from cities in Tamil Nadu, India to perform agent-based modelling of the spread of infectious diseases. As my projects have focused mainly on the methodological side of Statistics, I am interested in the application of these methodologies to biological data. I am very excited to join the Ph.D. program at the School of Public Health and explore these problems in Biostatistics.

Aside from research, I am interested in puzzles, quizzing, Origami, debating, table tennis, movies, music and memes.