Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology
677 Huntington Ave., Room 505
Boston, MA 02115
Department of Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School and The Chester M. Pierce, MD Division of Global Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital
Co-Director, Research Ethics and Teaching Faculty
Center for Bioethics, Department of Global Health and Social Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of Washington
M.P.H., Epidemiology, University of Washington
B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
Dr. Gelaye’s research include a focus on understanding neuropsychiatric disorders in epidemiologic studies among pregnant and post-partum women; integrating biological and molecular markers into clinical and population-based studies to identify factors contributing to resilience and risk of neuropsychiatric disorders; applying advanced epidemiologic and statistical methods in studies designed to assess the psychometric properties of screening and diagnostic instruments, and understanding the epidemiology of chronic non-communicable diseases in low and middle income countries. In addition to research, Dr. Gelaye has extensive experience in research administration, training, and capacity building through his work as program director of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health Minority Health International Research Training (MHIRT/MIRT) Program (formerly the University of Washington MHIRT/MIRT Program) over the past 14 years. The Harvard MHIRT /MIRT Program, an award winning national program, funded by the NIMHD provides intensive research training opportunities (in international settings) to graduate and undergraduate students from groups traditionally underrepresented in research careers. He is also the associate director of the Global Initiative for Neuropsychiatric Genetics Education in Research (GINGER) program fellowship. The GINGER Program is a research training program run by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard.
- Gelaye B, Clish CB, Denis M, Larrabure G, Tadesse MG, Deik A, Pierce K, Bullock K, Dennis C, Enquobahrie DA, Williams MA. Metabolomics signatures associated with an oral glucose challenge in pregnant women. Diabetes Metab. 2018 Jan 11. pii: S1262-3636(18)30006-5. PubMed PMID: 29395809.
- Levey EJ, Rondon MB, Sanchez S, Zhong QY, Williams MA, Gelaye B. Suicide risk assessment: examining transitions in suicidal behaviors among pregnant women in Perú. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2018 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29971552.
- Chahal HS, Gelaye B, Mostofsky E, Sanchez SE, Mittleman MA, Maclure M, Pacora P, Torres JA, Romero R, Ananth CV, Williams MA. Physical Exertion Immediately Prior to Placental Abruption: A Case-Crossover Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2018 Jul 9. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29992226
- Workalemahu T, Enquobahrie DA, Gelaye B, Sanchez SE, Garcia PJ, Tekola-Ayele F, Hajat A, Thornton TA, Ananth CV, Williams MA. Genetic variations and risk of placental abruption: A genome-wide association study and meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Placenta. 2018 Jun;66:8-16.Epub 2018 Apr 16. PubMed PMID: 29884306
- Gelaye B, Zhong QY, Basu A, Levey EJ, Rondon MB, Sanchez S, Koenen KC, Henderson DC, Williams MA. Trauma and traumatic stress in a sample of pregnant women. Psychiatry Res. 2017 Nov;257:506-513. PubMed PMID: 28843870.
- Gelaye B, Kajeepeta S, Williams MA. Suicidal ideation in pregnancy: An epidemiologic review. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2016 Jun 21. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed PMID: 27324912
- Gelaye B, Do N, Avila S, Carlos Velez J, Zhong QY, Sanchez SE, Peterlin BL, Williams MA. Childhood Abuse, Intimate Partner Violence and Risk of Migraine Among Pregnant Women: An Epidemiologic Study. Headache. 2016 May 31. doi: 10.1111/head.12855. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27242154.
- Qiu C, Gelaye B, Denis M, Tadesse MG, Enquobahrie DA, Ananth CV, Pacora PN, Salazar M, Sanchez SE, Williams MA. Placental genetic variations in circadian clock-related genes increase the risk of placental abruption. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2016 Mar 23;7(1):32-40.
- Gelaye B, Zhong QY, Barrios YV, Redline S, Drake CL, Williams MA. Psychometric Evaluation of the Ford Insomnia Response to Stress Test (FIRST) in Early Pregnancy. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Feb 1. pii: jc-00330-15. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26857055.
- Gelaye B, Rondon MB, Araya R, Williams MA. Epidemiology of maternal depression, risk factors, and child outcomes in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet Psychiatry. 2016 Oct;3(10):973-982. Review. PubMed PMID: 27650773;
- Gelaye B, Larrabure-Torrealva GT, Qiu C, Luque-Fernandez MA, Peterlin BL, Sanchez SE, Williams MA. Fasting lipid and lipoproteins concentrations in pregnant women with a history of migraine. Headache. 2015 May;55(5):646-57. PubMed PMID: 25904286; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4439363
- Gelaye B, Lohsoonthorn V, Lertmeharit S, Pensuksan WC, Sanchez SE, Lemma S, Berhane Y, Zhu X, Vélez JC, Barbosa C, Anderade A, Tadesse MG, Williams MA. Construct validity and factor structure of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and Epworth Sleepiness Scale in a multi-national study of African, South East Asian and South American college students. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 31;9(12):e116383. View in: PubMed
- Wosu AC, Gelaye B, Valdimarsdóttir U, Kirschbaum C, Stalder T, Shields AE, Williams MA. Hair cortisol in relation to sociodemographic and lifestyle characteristics in a multiethnic US sample. Ann Epidemiol. 2014 Nov 28. pii: S1047-2797(14)00527-4. View in: PubMed
- Gelaye B, Williams MA, Lemma S, Deyessa N, Bahretibeb Y, Shibre T, Wondimagegn D, Lemenh A, Fann JR, Vander Stoep A, Zhou XA. Validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 for Depression Screening and Diagnosis in East Africa. Psychiatric Research 2013. PubMed
- Zhong Q, Gelaye B, Fann JR, Sanchez SE, Williams MA. Cross-cultural validity of the Spanish version of PHQ-9 among pregnant Peruvian women: a Rasch item response theory analysis. J Affect Disord. 2014 Apr;158:148-53. PubMed
- Gelaye B, Tadesse MG, Williams MA, Fann JR, Vander Stoep A, Andrew Zhou XH. Assessing validity of a depression screening instrument in the absence of a gold standard. Ann Epidemiol. 2014 Jul;24(7):527-31. PubMed
For a complete list of publications, click here.