My research has been primarily focused in using Bayesian methods to create innovative model-based clustering techniques to address data complexities found in large, heterogeneous populations. These methods were generated as a result of my collaborative research interests in maternal health, nutritional epidemiology, psychological health, public health policy, and health disparities.
PhD, Biostatistics – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
MPH, Biostatistics – George Washington University
BS, Mathematics – Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Honors & Distinctions
Distinguished Student Paper Award | 2018
International Biometric Society, Eastern North American Region
Gillings Dissertation Award for Public Health Impact | 2017
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Junior Researcher Award | 2015
Bayesian Nonparametrics Conference, International Society for Bayesian Analysis
- Stephenson, B.J., Sotres-Alvarez, D., Siega-Riz, A.M., Mossavar-Rahmani, Y., Daviglus, M.L., Van Horn, L., Herring, A.H. and Cai, J., 2020. Empirically Derived Dietary Patterns Using Robust Profile Clustering in the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. The Journal of Nutrition, 150(10), pp.2825-2834.
- Stephenson B, Herring A, Olshan A. Robust Clustering with Subpopulation-specific Deviations. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2020; 115(530):521-537.
- Phillips MR, Khoury AL, Stephenson BJ, Edwards LJ, Charles AG, McLean SE. Outcomes of Pediatric Patients with Abdominal Sepsis Requiring Surgery and Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Using the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Database. The American Surgeon. 2015 Mar; 81 (3) 245-251.
- Weiss J, Stephenson BJ, Edwards LJ, Rigney M, Copeland A. Public Attitudes About Lung Cancer: Stigma, Support, and Predictors of Support. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. 2014 Jul; 7:293-300.
- Keating K, Walko C, Stephenson B, ONeil BH, Weiss J. Incidence of Cetuximab-related Infusion Reactions in Oncology Patients Treated at the University of North Carolina Cancer Hospital. Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice. 2014 Dec; 20(6): 409-416.
- Veeramachaneni NK, Feins RH, Stephenson BJ, Edwards LJ, Fernandez FG. Management of Stage IIIA Non-small Cell Lung Cancer by Thoracic Surgeons in North America. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012 Sep; 94(3): 922-926.