Show and tell: Delivering nutrition expertise via local news

You’re reading Show and Tell, which highlights communication “wins” from our community. Want more inspiration like this? Subscribe to our Call to Action newsletter. What to see your work here? Tell us about your win

Elizabeth Gunner, host of TV news nutrition segment Health in a HandbasketWho I am: Elizabeth Gunner, MPH ’24 and a registered dietitian

What I created: I regularly appear on-air and off-air for various TV new outlets as a nutrition expert. I currently host a nutrition segment called “Health in a Handbasket” which airs Monday mornings on WUHF Fox Rochester and 13WHAM ABC.

Why it matters: Media is saturated with misinformation and disinformation about health, wellness, and nutrition. In my “Health in a Handbasket” TV segment, I provide accurate nutrition information that people can use to inform their health and wellness decisions.

What we learned: People are hungry for easy-to-understand and accurate information, especially regarding health, wellness, and nutrition. I’ve learned that the best way to deliver complex nutrition information is to simplify it and articulate it in a way that your audience will understand and benefit from. I try to provide them with simple, tangible ways to implement the knowledge they get from my segments into their daily lives.

Tell us about your win