Harvard Chan School has assembled working groups to prepare for a ramp-up of research, fall education, and the return of faculty, students, and staff to campus in fall 2021. Members of these internal working groups have been undertaking a planning process for a gradual reopening and transition back to campus. They have also been participating in cross-School and University-level planning teams (see below), and meeting regularly with University counterparts to share ideas and ensure consistency in principles and processes.
Harvard Chan COVID Planning Committee
Katie Hope, Executive Dean for Administration (Chair); Jane Kim, Dean for Academic Affairs; Linda Brady, Chief of Staff; Jennifer Ivers, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs; Linda Picard, Senior Director of Human Resources; Todd Datz, Chief Communications Officer; Amarildo “Lilu” Barbosa, Chief Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging Officer; Erin Driver-Linn, Dean for Education, Nancy Turnbull, Senior Associate Dean of Educational Programs; Ethlyn O’Garro, Executive Director of Administration and Implementation of the Office of External Relations; Deane Eastwood, Chief Information Officer; Kate Targett, Director of Customer Engagement and Technology Services, Matt Ronn, Director of Infrastructure Services; Danny Beaudoin, Deputy Director of Operations; Noman Siddiqi, Director of Research Operations in Immunology and Infectious Diseases; Marie Richard, Director of Administration in Immunology and Infectious Diseases; Katrina Soriano, Executive Director in the Department of Nutrition and the Department of Molecular Metabolism.
Harvard Chan Research Planning Committee
Jane Kim, Dean for Academic Affairs (Chair); Katie Hope, Executive Dean for Administration; Delia Wolf Christiani, Associate Dean for Regulatory Affairs and Research Compliance; Robert Farese, Chair, Department of Molecular Metabolism; Sarah Fortune, Chair, Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases; Doug Dockery, Chair, Department of Environmental Health; Frank Hu, Chair, Department of Nutrition; Marie Richard, Director of Administration, Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases; Katrina Soriano, Executive Director of Administration, Department of Nutrition and Department of Molecular Metabolism; Glenn Stern, Director of Administration, Department of Environmental Health; Brian Frederick, Research Operations Manager, Department of Molecular Metabolism; Noman Siddiqi, Director of Research Operations, Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases; representatives from Harvard Chan Operations (Danny Beaudoin, Deputy Director of Operations, Alex Machaiek, Senior Director of Operations); and representatives from Harvard University Environmental Health & Safety (Shawna Marquis, Associate Director of Lab Safety Services, Marissa Cardwell, Associate Director of Biosafety).
Harvard Chan Education Planning Committee
Erin Driver-Linn, Dean for Education (Chair); Jane Kim, Dean for Academic Affairs; Katie Hope, Executive Dean for Administration; Nancy Turnbull, Senior Associate Dean for Professional Education; Kate Targett, Director of Customer Engagement and Technology Services; John McDonough, Director of Executive and Continuing Professional Education; and Amarildo “Lilu” Barbosa, Chief Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging Officer. Occasional expert discussions with members of the faculty.
University Planning Activities
The University has created working groups to help Schools develop a phased return-to-work plan that ensures that we can work safely and productively, whether remotely or on campus. Katie Lapp, Executive Vice President, has asked that the following work be undertaken and shared with Schools and Departments in support of the planning work:
- Staffing: Marilyn Hausammann, Vice President for Human Resources, and her team will provide an analysis of emerging best practices by employers for preparing for re-entry of employees into the workplace.
- Space occupancy: Meredith Weenick, Vice President for Campus Services, and her team will provide a summary of best standards/guidelines for occupancy of spaces, such as reducing the occupancy of shared workspaces/residences/conference rooms/elevators/common spaces.
- PPE: Many employers are looking at offering masks and gloves to employees as they re-enter the workplace. Campus Services already has mechanisms in place for the necessary protective gear for its workforce. Strategic Procurement is developing a strategy for having standard contracts/vendors available for purchasing that material across our employee base consistent with best practices/regulations.
- IT: Anne Margulies, Vice President and University Chief Information Officer, and her team will be working to identify opportunities to enhance remote work capabilities and support for our employees.
- Testing, contact tracing, and isolation & quarantine: Alan Garber, University Provost; Giang Nguyen, Executive Director of Harvard University Health Services; and Katie Lapp are working with medical experts to determine what options exist and how logistically testing/tracing would occur. This will also be largely informed by state requirements that will ultimately be issued.
- Research labs: Sarah Fortune is the Harvard Chan representative on the Provost’s planning group that is planning for a staged re-opening of research labs across the University.