The Lunch ‘n’ Learn Program consists of a group of Harvard Longwood staff of color and allies committed to the School’s goals of developing an open and inclusive environment. The primary goals of this group are to develop community; promote creativity, innovation, and learning; and foster personal and professional growth.
This year’s theme is Empowerment and we will be discussing the book So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo throughout the year.
Academic Year 2020-2021 Program
All sessions 1-2pm. Upcoming sessions:
- April 28: Negotiation / Self-Advocating. Guest speaker: Dr. Angelique Harris, Boston University School of Medicine. We will also discuss Oluo, Chapter 14, on the model minority. RSVP for Zoom link
- May 18: Interviewing / End of the year wrap-up
- September 22: Plan for the year, introduction to the book, and a discussion on race and racism. Featured speaker: Lilu Barbosa, Chief Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer.
- October 21: Police Brutality/School to Prison Pipeline (Ch. 6 & 8). Guest Speaker: Christine Mitchell, Harvard Chan Alum and Research Associate at Human Impact Partners.
- November 17: Productive Working Relationships (Ch. 11). Watch a video about the session.
- December 9: Defining Your Values / Year-End Reflections
- January 19: Goal Setting
- February 23: Microaggressions and Supporting Coworkers (Oluo, Chapter 12). Guest speaker: Yvette Cozier, PhD, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, Boston University.
- March 16: Intersectionality and Leadership (Oluo, Chapter 5)
Emry Breedlove, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Stanley Estime, Office of Regulatory Affairs and Research Compliance
Kamaria Hayden, Department of Biostatistics
Courtney Howard, Office for External Relations
Osa Igiede, Office for External Relations
Kathy Jean-Louis, Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases
Senait Mulu, Office of Financial Aid
Office of Diversity and Inclusion Staff
Amarildo “Lilu” Barbosa, Chief Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Officer
Betty Johnson, Assistant Dean for Faculty and Staff Diversity, Development, and Leadership
Erica Knight, Assistant Director of Student Diversity and Access Initiatives
Ra’Shaun Nalls, Director of Community Engagement
Manny Lim, Executive Assistant
Contact Cristin Martineau, Strategic Events Manager, Office of the Dean, and Coordinator of the Lunch ‘n’ Learn Series.