The Let’s Talk Public Health! Youth and Public Health Conference is designed to help young people from diverse backgrounds get excited about the field of public health.There are too few opportunities for high school students to learn about and engage with public health professionals. Many high school students have never heard of public health, or at least have very little understanding of the diversity within the field. Most students think of a job in health as being limited to physicians and nurses. Thus, it is time we change that. Students will get the opportunity to spend the day at the Harvard Chan School, one of the top public health institutions in the world, interacting with current leaders in the field and discovering how they too could one day become leaders in public health.
1. Help young people become informed about the public health field and the many diverse opportunities within it
2. Provide a unique opportunity for young people to interface with leaders in the public health field, inspiring them to become future leaders
3. Create a channel of communication and mentorship between the Harvard Chan School and public health professionals and young people who want to get involved in the field
4. Increase the diversity of students who enter the public health field, focusing on underrepresented minorities and low-income populations
5. Provide resources for young people to get involved in public health right now in their daily lives
The third annual Let’s Talk Public Health! Youth and Public Health Conference took place on Friday, April 15, 2015 from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. The conference brought together Harvard Chan School students, faculty, and staff, as well as other public health organizations and professionals, to guide select high school students through a day of learning and exploration. Students spent the day in interactive sessions where they learned how public health affects their daily lives and what they can do to get involved. They learned about the many facets of public health through breakout sessions conducted by students and faculty from the Harvard Chan School’s many departments. They enjoyed listening to fantastic keynote speakers and had personal conversations with current students at the VIP lunch session. Additionally, students were taken on tours of the School and the Longwood Medical Campus and received some Harvard Chan School gear to take home.