When you are travelling on University business this is the procedure you follow:
- Fill out a Travel Prior Approval Form and give to your grant manager. You must provide the grant number and obtain the PI’s signature. Amounts on this form are estimates, but please try to be as accurate as possible.
- Upon returning from your trip, fill out a Universal Expense Report, attach this to your original receipts, and give to your grant manager for processing.
- If you’re traveling abroad on Harvard business, the University asks that you register your itinerary with the International Travel Registry so that you can be located quickly and receive assistance in the event of an emergency (i.e., natural disaster, civil unrest, health problems, etc.). Registering is required for all students traveling on trips funded or arranged by the University, and is strongly recommended for everyone. To register your travel itinerary, please visit www.traveltools.harvard.edu then click on the Harvard Travel Registry.
Here are two more helpful sites for travel assistance:
Learn about Harvard Travel Assist Services and eligibility: https://www.globalsupport.harvard.edu/travel-tools/harvard-travel-assist
Frequently asked questions about Harvard Travel Assist: https://www.globalsupport.harvard.edu/travel-tools/harvard-travel-assist/frequently-asked-questions
- If you are combining business travel and personal travel you must speak with your grant manager before purchasing any tickets. New regulations apply.
- Abstract Filing Fee – original receipt required*
- Meeting Registration – original receipt required
- Airfare – Itinerary and receipt required. If using federal funds, a US carrier must be utilized for international flights, including Mexico and Canada. If you have any questions on this, please ask your grant manager.
- Hotel – original receipt required
- Meals – included in per diem. To find the per diem rate for the city you are visiting, please go to: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120. For international per diem rates, see https://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem.asp
Please note we will reimburse 75% of the per diem for the first and last day of travel. No alcohol will be reimbursed from sponsored funds.
- Cabs to and from airport
- Dinner for a society meeting – included in per diem
*Abstract filing fee may be reimbursed immediately (unless you are a training grant fellow), all other reimbursements will be reimbursed after the meeting.
Reimbursements must be processed within 60 days of return from travel.