- This event has passed.
Introducing POPLAR: The Future of Psychedelics Law and Regulation
October 6 @ 12:30 pm - 3:10 pm
On June 30, the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School announced a new research initiative, the Project on Psychedelics Law and Regulation (POPLAR).
To mark POPLAR’s launch, the Petrie-Flom Center has invited experts from all aspects of the emerging psychedelics industry — including clinicians, researchers, patient advocates, legal experts, and representatives from state and federal government — for an afternoon of discussion about the initiative’s work.
Join us on October 6th at 12:30pm for this historic event, which will feature opening remarks from U.S. Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), a keynote address from Rick Doblin, PhD, founder and executive director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), and two panel discussions, Psychedelics Advocacy and Expertise and Psychedelics Legislation and Regulation.
Schedule (Eastern Time)
- 12:30 – 12:40pm: Opening Remarks from U.S. Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
- 12:40 – 1:10pm: Keynote Address by Rick Doblin, PhD, Founder and Executive Director, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- 1:10 – 2:10pm: Panel 1: Psychedelics Advocacy and Expertise. Panelists will discuss the history of psychedelics, the rapidly evolving research and cultural landscape, and how to advocate for consumer and health care provider education and access.
- Bia Labate, PhD, Founder and Executive Director, Chacruna
- Angela Carter, ND, Vice Chair and Co-Chair of Health Equity Subcommittee, Oregon Psilocybin Advisory Board
- Ismail Ali, Policy & Advocacy Counsel, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Rachel Yehuda, PhD, Professor of Psychiatry and Neuroscience and Director of the Center for Psychedelic Psychotherapy and Trauma Research, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Moderator: Dustin Marlan, Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts School of Law
- 2:10 – 3:10pm: Panel 2: Psychedelics Legislation and Regulation. Panelists will discuss emerging state and federal psychedelics legislation, drug policy reform, and the oversight of psychedelics research and development by administrative agencies.
- Senator Scott Wiener, California Senate District 11
- Sharan Sidhu, Science Officer and General Manager, Numinous Inc.
- Graham Boyd, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Psychedelic Science Funders Collaborative; Founder and Executive Director, New Approach
- David Shurtleff, PhD, Deputy Director and Acting Scientific Director, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Moderator: Mason Marks, MD, Assistant Professor, University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law; Senior Fellow and Project Lead of POPLAR at the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School
Sponsored by the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School with generous support from the Saisei Foundation.