This policy applies to students who withdraw, take a leave of absence, or are academically dismissed from the institution. Tuition refunds for these students are determined according to the following policy:
1.) The term “Title IV Funds” refers to the federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and for students enrolled at Harvard Chan School of Public Health includes the following programs: unsubsidized Direct Loans and Direct GradPLUS loans.
2.) A student’s withdrawal date is:
a) The date the student began the institution’s withdrawal process or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or
b) The student’s last date of attendance as documented by academically related activity; or
c) The midpoint of the period of enrollment for a student who leaves without notifying the institution.
3.) Determining the amount of Title IV funds to be returned:
- Refunds on all allowable charges including tuition and fees will be prorated on a per diem basis based on the number of days in attendance as a proportion to the number of days in the term or period of enrollment, up to the 60% point in the semester. There are no refunds after the 60% point in time, as the federal regulations view the aid has been “100% earned” after that point in time. A copy of the worksheet used for this calculation and examples can be requested from the Harvard School of Public Health Office of Financial Aid.
- For the purpose of billing and calculating refunds, the Winter Session is considered part of the spring semester.
- Refunds and adjusted bills will be sent to the student’s home address following withdrawal.
- There are no refunds for incomplete independent study or correspondence courses.
- In accordance with federal regulations, the return of Title IV funds is paid in the following order:
- Unsubsidized Direct Loans
- Direct PLUS Loans
- The student
4.) Institutional and student responsibilities in regard to the Return of Title IV Funds
Harvard Chan’s responsibilities include:
- Providing each student with the information given in this policy
- Identifying students who are affected by this policy
- Completing the Return of Title IV Funds calculation for students who are subject to the policy
- Returning the Title IV Funds that are due the Title IV programs. The student’s responsibilities include returning to the Title IV programs any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and for which the student was determined to be ineligible via the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.
Students with Federal/Title IV financial aid must notify OFA immediately of a pending withdrawal or leave, as Federal refunds must be made within 45 days of the date of withdrawal or leave. Students have the right to obtain a final calculation of the Return of Federal Funds.
|Students should contact the Registrar’s Office for details on procedures for withdrawing or requesting a leave of absence.|