HPM Teaching Faculty – Information and FAQ

Greetings to all new and returning members of the teaching faculty for the Department of Health Policy and Management (HPM).  We have created this page to assist you with any questions that you might have regarding teaching within our department.

Please contact  Jen Moltoni (jmoltoni@hsph.harvard.edu) or the Doug Scaffidi (dscaffidi@hsph.harvard.edu) regarding any questions or concerns about student and course related issues.

Here is some basic information about getting started as a member of the teaching faculty, systems utilized by teaching faculty, and some frequently asked questions.

New Teaching Faculty – Getting Started

Important Online Tools for Teaching Faculty

CANVAS is the course website and management system used at Harvard Chan.  A CANVAS site is created for every course and you are expected to use this site to manage your course, including communicating with students.  To access the CANVAS CHECKLIST issued by the IT Department, please click HERE.

The my.harvard platform is the backbone of university operations. It affects everything from how students register for classes, to how departments plan and administer courses, to how advisors engage with students.  my.harvard has many helpful “how to” pages specifically designed for faculty that can be found HERE.

Preparing Materials for your Course


Where can I find…….

How do I….

Where can I get more information about…





New Teaching Faculty – Getting Started

1. Health Policy and Management Faculty Onboarding Procedures

Your onboarding with the department will be handled by Julie Deland (jdeland@hsph.harvard.edu) , Director of Administration.   She will assist you with:

  • Completing an I-9 (employment authorization form)
  • Obtaining a Harvard ID number and ID card.
  • Obtaining an email and network account
  • Obtaining a Novell login and password
  • Setting up an Outlook account and access to the network printers and departmental copiers.
  • Granting swipe access to HPM floors.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your access, please contact Julie at jdeland@hpsh.harvard.edu.

2.  Obtaining a Harvard Key Username and Password

Please visit https://key.harvard.edu/select-user-type to set up your Harvard Key access.

A Harvard Key will be necessary to gain access to all of the online course-related systems that you will need to use.  Obtaining a Harvard Key is part of the onboarding process for all new staff members and faculty at Harvard Chan.  If you have any questions regarding your Harvard Key and the process to get one, please contact Julie Deland (jdeland@hsph.harvard.edu) .

3. Meeting with the Health Policy and Management Academic Programs Office

Prior to designing and teaching your first class, it is important to set up a check in meeting with Nancy Turnbull and Jen Moltoni.  Please reach out to Jen Moltoni (jmoltoni@hsph.harvard.edu) to set up this meeting.  This meeting is an opportunity to ask any questions related to teaching a course within the Department of Health Policy and Management.

Important Online Tools for Teaching Faculty


Please visit this website for Harvard’s CANVAS Training Course:  https://canvas.harvard.edu/courses/495

CANVAS can be used to:

  • IT will set up the shell of your website prior to the start of class, which you can then fill the the materials necessary for your course. Your website should contain course materials and the syllabus, assignments, activities.
  • Communicate with students (as a group or individually)
  • View Class List
  • View Course Enrollment, Wait List, and Prerequisite Information
  • View Course Information
  • View and grade student assignments (which can be submitted via dropboxes that are created for each assignment).
 How do I access the CANVAS site for my courses?

The CANVAS sites for your courses can be accessed by logging onto myHarvardChan (for course instructors)

  • Go to https://my.sph.harvard.edu/
  • Log in using your Harvard Key and password (the same ID and password used for email access).
  • Select the “Teaching and Advising” tab. You will be able to open your course websites from the “My iSite Courses” box.

The myHarvard platform is the backbone of university operations. It affects everything from how students register for classes, to how departments plan and administer courses, to how advisors engage with students.

It is located on the “Teaching & Advising” tab of myHarvardChan:  https://my.sph.harvard.edu/cp/home/displaylogin

Through the myHarvard system, teaching faculty can:

  • Search for student information and view student profiles
  • Email Your Class (can also be done through CANVAS)
  • Enter Grades
  • Enter Office Hour Information
  • View a Class List with Students’ Degrees & Departments (can also be done through CANVAS)
  • View Course Enrollment, Wait List, and Prerequisite Information
  • View Course Information
  • View List of Advisees
  • View Past Semesters’ Grade Entries

There is a detailed myHarvard training website available to assist you in learning how to use this portal:  http://about.my.harvard.edu/faculty-overview

Preparing Materials for your Course

Curriculum Center

Allison Bodznick

Curriculum Center Administrator

Kresge 121

Phone: 617-432-7978

Email: abodznic@hsph.harvard.edu

The Curriculum Center at Harvard Chan is responsible for ensuring that all courses comply with copyright and other legal requirements, that students are billed appropriately for any course material that carries a fee, and for distributing printed course packs to students enrolled in courses that use printed material.

The Curriculum Center has a guide that is distributed to all teaching faculty that contains information on how materials should be prepared for your course, including:

  • Steps for preparing course materials with the Curriculum Center
    • Prepare syllabus
    • Decide how readings will be made available
    • Identify readings available online through Harvard E-Resources
    • Create persistent links to readings available online
    • Prepare other materials in compliance with copyright guidelines
  • Locating Articles Available Online through the Harvard Libraries
  • Linking to Electronic Resources
  • Accessing and Using Course Websites
  • Helpful Links and Contacts

Please contact the Curriculum Center for access to this guide.


Where can I find…….

names and photos of students registered for my class?

Names and photos of your students can be found in the CANVAS site for your course.   Please see above information on accessing CANVAS through myHarvardChan, as well as the training materials.

Individual student photos can also be found in the Student Photo Directory:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/people/

This site can be accessed by using your Harvard Key username and password.  Please keep in mind that from time to time, students specify that their photos cannot be shared for security/personal reasons.  These students’ photos will not be able to be viewed in this directory.

the schedule of courses?

The Registrar’s Office has course schedule information located online:  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/registrar/courses-and-schedules/

Information on courses can be searched by term or date range.

the academic calendar online?

Academic Calendar information can be found on the Registrar’s Office’s website:  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/registrar/academic-calendar/

The academic calendar shows the dates for each term, add-drop deadlines, and due dates for the submission of grades.

previous syllabi and instructors for the course I’m now teaching?

There are two sources that will have access to past syllabi:

  • The Curriculum Center has all past syllabi on file. Please reach out to Allison Bodznick via email: abodznic@hsph.harvard.edu to request.
  • You can also contact the previous course instructor and ask if they are willing to share the past syllabi with you.
email addresses for my students?

There are several resources for student email lists:

information about student evaluations of courses?

Course Evaluations
Harvard Chan students are asked to complete a detailed evaluation at the end of each course.  Students are not able to access their on-line grade reports until their course evaluations are submitted.

This process is administered by the Committee on Educational Policy (CEP), the major educational policymaking body at Harvard Chan. The evaluations are anonymous and cannot be accessed by course instructors until grades for the course have been submitted to the Registrar’s Office. (Evaluations are usually not available until several weeks after the end of the term.)  A course instructor can view a summary of all the course evaluations for their course, including students’ responses to all questions.  A summary of certain portions of the course evaluation are available online through the Office of Education  on a pin-protected website (accessible to members of the Harvard Chan community who hold a Harvard Key user name and password).
advice on course or syllabus design, such as advice on how much work to assign my students?

Please check with the MPH field of study leaders to get advice about typical practices for HPM courses (Health Management: Bonnie Blanchfield, MPH-45 Health Policy: David Hemenway,  MPH-65 HP or HPM SM1: Nancy Turnbull ).   Nancy Turnbull is also HPM’s director of educational policy and can provide advice and guidance.

The Office of Education can provide assistance on course development, scheduling and class management.  Its website has a variety of teaching resources, including information on scheduling, homework, and course design.  This information can be found by clicking here:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/educational-programs/teaching-information/

The METS Team are experts on instructional design and a wonderful resource for helping you design your course and teaching plan.  Contact METS at:  mets@hsph.harvard.edu.

Harvard’s Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning is an excellent resource for faculty as they think about designing a course or syllabus.

Course and Syllabus Design:  http://bokcenter.harvard.edu/course-design

Assignments and Exams:  http://bokcenter.harvard.edu/creating-assignments-exams

resources for working with a librarian for research or teaching?

The Countway Library offers research assistance services to  faculty members, including consultations with reference librarians. More information on these services can be found here:  https://www.countway.harvard.edu/library-services/research-assistance

order books for my class?

Countway Library regularly works with faculty regarding their course reading lists and course reserves.  More information regarding how this works can be found in the course reserves section on the Library Services portion of the Countway website:  https://www.countway.harvard.edu/library-services/reserves

The Harvard COOP works with faculty to order any books for each class.  Please check their website for more information on their resources for faculty:  https://www.facultyenlight.com/.  Note that book orders must be submitted quite far in advance to ensure that they are available at the beginning of the term.

As an alternative to the Harvard COOP, some faculty instructors suggest that students order books through one of the many on-line companies that provide this service.

prepare a course package?

The Curriculum Center is responsible for ensuring that all Harvard Chan School course material is in compliance with legal requirements, including obtaining copyright permissions where necessary. It also produces and distributes course packets for classes that use printed material.

For more faculty and student information and services provided by the Curriculum Center, please visit their website:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/educational-programs/curriculum-center/

The Harvard COOP also provides a course concierge service, as well as a do-it-yourself platform through their website called XanEdu.  More information can be found here:  https://www.facultyenlight.com/?storeNbr=300#create-coursepacks

get copies made for my class?

Course Instructors and Teaching Assistants are welcome to use the copiers within the department of Health Policy and Management located on the 3rd and 4th floors of the Kresge Building for any small and unexpected copying needs for courses.  If you must print out materials for a course, there is an office in Kresge 314B that has computers available.  There is a printer in this room, and the computers are also connected to the copier on the 3rd floor of the Kresge Building.

If you run into trouble, or cannot access this office, please contact Doug Scaffidi at dscaffidi@hsph.harvard.edu.  If Doug is out, please feel free to reach out to Jen Moltoni at jmoltoni@hsph.harvard.edu for assistance.  Please keep in mind that Jen has a flexible schedule, and is typically in the office 2 to 3 days per week.

submit grades to the Registrar?

The primary instructor is responsible for the grades given and must supervise grading. Teaching assistants should not bear full responsibility for final grades. The primary instructor is expected to submit their grades to the Registrar’s Office via the electronic grading module. Instructors are expected to be at the school during examination periods and, according to the official policy of the Harvard Corporation, are not permitted to travel until they have submitted their grades to the Registrar’s Office. Since grade point averages must be computed and students must be notified if they are not in good standing, it is essential to file grades promptly.

Grades are submitted to the Registrar via the myHarvard system.  For a detailed training on how grades are entered, please visit the myHarvard training site:  http://about.my.harvard.edu/grading

Where can I get more information about…


teaching with technology and technology assistance?

The Media Services division of the Department of Information Technology provides all classroom technical support.  For more information on the support and services that Media Services provides, please visit its website:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/information-technology/services/media-services/.  You can also call Media Services at 617-432-4357.

computer assistance?

The Department of Information Technology provides assistance for all computer-related questions and issues.  Whenever possible the Helpdesk technician will assist the end-user in correcting a computer-related issue over the phone. The technician may ask to virtually control your computer using virtual network control software (VNC) or start a Webex support session.

If the problem cannot be addressed through phone support, the Helpdesk technician will generate a ticket in the Harvard Chan Helpdesk ticketing system called Origin, and assign it to a member of the IT staff. End users receive automated emails both when a ticket is opened and when a ticket is closed.

The HSPH Helpdesk may be reached:

Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm with the exception of University Holidays.

Phone:  432-HELP(4357)

Email:  HelpDesk@hsph.harvard.edu

Location: Kresge LL15 (on the lower level of the Kresge building)


what to do if students do not submit assignments and/or needs an extension?

Instructors may grant an extension to students who fail to submit an assignment by a deadline date. The penalty for missing a deadline ordinarily is a lowering of the student’s grade on the assignment by one letter (e.g., from A- to B-); however, the instructor may decide that a lesser or greater penalty is required. Instructors should set policy at the beginning of the course concerning the impact of missed deadlines on students’ grades.

Instructors may recommend that students who have missed several deadlines on course work take an “Incomplete.” Students who do not complete course work will receive a grade on the work completed to date or will receive an “Incomplete” at the discretion of the instructor. Students receiving an incomplete must obtain the Incomplete Contract from the Registrar’s Office — a written contract between the student and instructor. Both parties agree to the work to be performed, the completion deadline, and the penalty, if any, to be assigned if the work is not completed. These terms are recorded on the form. The signed form is then submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the instructor. Forms hand delivered by the student will not be accepted.

Policy on the grade of “Incomplete” is as follows:
The deadline for making up incomplete course work should be no later than one semester after the semester in which the course was taken, and may be earlier, at the discretion of the instructor. If the instructor will not be present when the deadline arrives, a designated surrogate must be appointed by the instructor to receive and evaluate the completed course work. If the completed work is submitted by the deadline date, the instructor (or surrogate) will evaluate it, and the grade given will be added to the incomplete (“I”) on the student’s record, so that the final notation will be “I/letter grade.” If, for example, the grade given is a “B,” the final notation will be “I/B.” If the incomplete work is not made up by the deadline date, a grade of “INC” will be given for the work not completed. If this work accounts for the whole grade, the final grade given will be an “I/INC.” (CEP 1/89)

what to do if a student misses an exam?

A student who cannot attend a regularly scheduled examination must request permission for an alternate examination from the instructor in advance of the examination. At the discretion of the instructor, and in the case of significant medical or personal reasons, an alternate examination may be permitted. Ordinarily, the instructor will consult with the director for student affairs concerning medical and personal problems. An excuse for absence from an examination and permission for an alternate examination must be recorded on the Absence from Examination Form from the Registrar’s Office. In the case of an unexcused absence, the instructor will give a grade of “F” for this examination. (CEP 2/89)

what to do if students miss classes?

There is no school-wide policy on missed classes.  Instructors should be very clear on the syllabus for their class regarding how class absences will be handled.  Be sure to address what the process is for students if they need to be out, and what the implications of their absence will have on their grade.
resources for students having academic difficulty in my course?

Please contact Jen Moltoni at jmoltoni@hsph.harvard.edu if there is a student having academic difficulty in your course.  The Office for Student Services provides a Graduate Student Learning Support program to assist students who are struggling with their coursework, and Jen can assist you in connecting with The Office for Student Affairs.  More information on this program can be found here:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/student-affairs/learning-assistance/

providing appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities?

The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is committed to providing appropriate services to students with documented learning, physical, and other disabilities who are enrolled in degree-granting or special programs, whether full- or part-time. The provision of accommodations is intended to ensure that students with disabilities have the opportunity to learn on an equal basis with non-disabled peers. Disabled students are encouraged to take advantage of opportunities available to help them achieve their educational goals.

The Office for Student Affairs furnishes a range of services to students with disabilities, including interpreters, recordings of classes, arrangements for reasonable accommodations and transportation, and other services as necessary.

Harvard University, in accordance with its obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities in admission or access to programs and activities. The Office for Student Affairs assists all students with learning, manual, mobility, hearing, visual and other disabilities.

For further information, please contact a member of the OSA Team:

Phone: 617.432.1036
Location:  Kresge G-4
resources for students in distress?

Please contact Jen Moltoni to let her know if you find that one of your students is in distress (or that you are concerned that one of your students may be in distress) so that she can assist you in connecting this student to the proper resources.  Please contact her at jmoltoni@hsph.harvard.edu.

The Office for Student Affairs can assist you in helping any student who is experiencing a personal or emotional problem.  Contact The Office for Student Affairs at 617.432.1036.

OSA works to holistically support students who are experiencing difficulties and to ensure the general well being of the student body. Please explore the links on the left for information about disability, learning, health, and wellness. Do not hesitate to contact Student Support if you have questions or concerns.

If you would like to refer a student of concern you may also reach out directly to the Care Team.

Students can also be directed to Harvard’s In Common peer counseling service:  http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/peercounseling/page.php?id=incommon

Harvard University Health Services is another useful and important resource for students in distress.  Students can receive comprehensive outpatient care for a variety of concerns, including anxiety, depression, stress, crisis management, transitional issues, grief, and eating, sexual, or relationship concerns.   For more information on the services that Harvard University Health Services Provides, please visit their website at http://huhs.harvard.edu/services/counseling-and-mental-health.  You can also give them a call at their Vanderbilt Hall location at (617) 432-1370.

The Director of The Office for Student Affairs can also meet with both faculty and students regarding any issues that may arise:  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/student-affairs/staff/


religious holidays?

Religious Holidays
According to Chapter 151c, Section 2B, of the General Laws of Massachusetts, any student in an educational or vocational training institution, other than a religious or denominational training institution, who is unable, because of his or her religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study, or work requirement on a particular day shall be excused from any such examination or requirement which he or she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day, provided that such makeup examination or work shall not create an unreasonable burden upon the school. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making such opportunity available to the student, and no adverse or prejudicial effect shall result to any student for availing himself or herself of these provisions.
grading system?

The School’s grading system and policies can be found here:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/student-handbook/academic-support/hsph-grading-system/

Harvard’s policy on Consensual Relations?

Consensual romantic or sexual relationships that might be appropriate in other circumstances have inherent dangers when they occur between any Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health faculty member or non-faculty academic appointee, fellow, or officer and any person over whom he/she has a professional responsibility ( e.g., as a teacher, advisor, or supervisor).  Such relationships are fundamentally asymmetric, and are considered to be unprofessional under this policy because, among other things, they may create an impression within the Harvard community of inappropriate or inequitable academic or professional advantage or favoritism that can be destructive of the learning or working environment.  Depending on the circumstances, such relationships also may be considered an abuse of authority.

Harvard Chan faculty and non-faculty academic appointees, fellows and officers should be aware that any romantic or sexual involvement with a Harvard Chan student violates School policy, even if they have no supervisory, teaching, advising, or other professional responsibility for that student, and makes them liable to complaint and formal action.

For more information regarding this policy, please visit the Office of Faculty Affairs website:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty-affairs/faculty/miscellaneous-policies/

Harvard’s violence prevention and education program?

The mission of the Harvard University Police Department is to maintain community peace, safety and quality of life.  HUPD provides a guide that details the policies and the services that the HUPD provides:  http://www.hupd.harvard.edu/files/hupd/files/2014-2015_pis_final_5.pdf

Harvard’s policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment and assault?

Harvard has very strict policies regarding sexual harassment and assault.  Here is a quick overview of where a student can go to get help, and the levels of confidentiality.

Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is committed to helping anyone who has experienced sexual harassment, including sexual violence, to access the wide variety of resources available at Harvard and elsewhere.  Some of the resources listed below will be able to keep your information private, but they may have to share your information with those responsible for stopping or preventing sexual harassment on campus.  Before speaking with someone, make sure that you understand whether they can assure you confidentiality, or how they will keep your information private. 

Please Note:  As a member of the teaching faculty at SPH, you are required to report any incidence of harassment to the appropriate Title IX coordinator.  If approached by a student who has a confidential matter to discuss, it is important that you reveal to the student what your reporting responsibilities are.

Private Resources These people will keep your information as private as possible, meaning that they will only share it with those who have a need to know.  For example, they may need to disclose what you tell them to the appropriate Title IX coordinator, that is, the person responsible for addressing sexual harassment within the Harvard community.  The Title IX coordinator also will handle your information carefully, maintaining as much privacy as possible.

Confidential Resources:  These people are able to adhere to strict standards of confidentiality and can help you think through your situation and options, without sharing what you have told them other than in limited circumstances.  There are a few exceptions to their ability to maintain confidentiality and you can ask about those exceptions before you speak to them.

Deans, Advisors, Faculty Members, Campus Administrators, Coaches, and Residential Life StaffDeans, advisors, faculty members, campus administrators, coaches, and residential life staff will keep the information that you provide as private as possible, meaning that they will only share it with those who have a need to know.  For example, they may need to disclose what you tell them to the appropriate Title IX coordinator. 

Title IX Officer and Title IX Coordinators The University-wide Title IX Officer and the Harvard Chan School Title IX coordinators can speak with you about your options, support services, and how to file a complaint.  They, too, will handle your information carefully, maintaining as much privacy as possible, but may need to share it with those who have a need to know.  Each school has Title IX coordinators designated to receive complaints against students, as well as against faculty and against staff.

Medical professionals, social workers, rape-crisis counselors, and clergy: Medical professionals at Harvard include licensed clinicians at Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) and the University Mental Health Services.  These professionals have certain standards of confidentiality.  Similarly, rape crisis counselors, including counselors at the Office of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response (OSAPR), have certain confidentiality standards.  Rape crisis counselors also are available at the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC).  BARCC also coordinates counseling and legal assistance resources. Harvard clergy also have certain standards of confidentiality.

In all instances, it is always best to first have a conversation about keeping information private or confidential, and what both of those mean in regards to your conversation with the professional.

For more information regarding these policies and resources, please visit:  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/student-affairs/sexual-harassment/

Additional information, including a 24/7 confidential hotline, can be found here:  http://share.harvard.edu/?utm_source=publichealth&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=feb_outreach