Dear HSPH Community,
As many of you know, the School is planning to convert from our existing GroupWise e-mail system to Microsoft Outlook 2010 over the course of the next six months. We invite you to attend a general overview session about our migration plans, which will be held in Kresge G-1 on February 3, from 1-2 p.m. We will also be holding detailed meetings with each Department as the time for its conversion gets closer. In the meanwhile, we wanted to share our overall approach and proposed timeline with you.
Below find links to 2 documents (PIN-enabled) you may wish to review.
- The first document provides a more technical description for what to expect during the conversion and some of the expected impacts the conversion may have on users. As members of the University Outlook platform, we will need to conform to university guidelines regarding such things as attachment size, mailbox size, and mobile device connectivity. VIEW ATTACHMENT 1
- The second document outlines the current proposed conversion schedule. We will begin meeting with Departments several weeks prior to the conversion to go over the actual migration process with you, your training dates, etc. VIEW SCHEDULE
There are a number of things you can do to assist in making this a smooth transition. To the extent that you have time, we would appreciate it if you could begin to:
- Review your e-mail folders and please consider deleting items you no longer need. Overall, the new default mailbox size will be 5 GB, with a maximum system limit of 25 GB. We will identify and contact users who have email in excess of this limitation.
- We will not be able to migrate e-mails with attachment sizes over 40 MB. We will be contacting users who currently exceed this limit, to assist with an alternative solution.
- We ask all users to fill out a brief survey of your email environment at: http://hsph.me/outlook.
Student email accounts will be migrated to a university contracted GMAIL system (for students) which provides students with a Harvard email account for life, at no cost. Student accounts will be migrated separately in 3 waves:
- new students’ accounts for Summer/Fall 2012 will be created in GMAIL;
- graduating students will remain on GroupWise until after Commencement; and
- continuing students will be migrated to GMAIL after the completion of the faculty and staff migrations.
You should look for more information to be coming your way from the I/T Dept. over the coming weeks and months, as we work to migrate the entire school with a minimum disruption to your normal daily activities and email usage. Please check our HSPH email migration website regularly for the latest updates and helpful information about this project: http://hsph.me/outlook
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding during this major I/T endeavor.
Chief for Information Technology