Harvard University has posted a new University-wide policy on access to electronic information.
The policy on electronic information is grounded on six important principles:
- Access should occur only for a legitimate and important University purpose.
- Access should be authorized by an appropriate and accountable person.
- In general, notice should be given when user electronic information will be or has been accessed.
- Access should be limited to the user electronic information needed to accomplish the purpose.
- Sufficient records should be kept to enable appropriate review of compliance with this policy.
- Access should be subject to ongoing, independent oversight by a committee that includes faculty representation.