Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management
Jeff is the Population Health Leader of the North American Health Management practice of Willis Towers Watson, a global human resources consultancy. In this role, he leads development of intellectual capital and provides consultation to large employers to guide them in making strategic investments in the health and wellness of their employees. He helps clients evaluate and procure care management programs, develop incentives to improve health and lower health care costs, implement technology to improve care management, and evaluate and act upon provider variation in health care delivery.
He has previously served in leadership roles in health care delivery, including Chief Medical Officer of the network division of Partners HealthCare (now Mass General Brigham) in Boston, the Chief Medical Officer of the multispecialty group Atrius Health and the Chief Medical Officer of One Medical Group, an innovative national technology-enabled primary care practice. He was also the President of a 400-physician independent practice association. He served as a Vice President and co-led provider strategy at Tufts Health Plan, and he served as a consultant with Reden and Anders.
Jeff is an Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School and an Assistant Professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, where has taught a course on Managed Care Policy Issues since 2003, and has taught Provider Payment in the Masters in Health Care Management Program since 2008. He graduated from Boston University School of Medicine and completed his residency at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. He completed his MBA at Columbia University.
- Levin-Scherz, D, Patrick JD, Weber FH, Garabedian C Acute Arsenic Ingestion Ann Emerg Med 1987, 16 (6) 702-4
- Levin-Scherz J. Will disruptive innovations cure health care? Harv Bus Rev.
- Schmidt C, Mohr A, Moller J, Levin-Scherz J, HellerM. [Radiology in managed care
environment: opportunities for cost savings in an HMO]. Rofo. 2003;175(9):1198-206
- Levin-Scherz J. Disseminating health care innovation. JAMA. 2003;290(11):1454-5.
- Levin-Scherz J. Asthma disease management: regression to the mean or better? Am J
Manag Care. 2005;11(3):134,136.
- Levin-Scherz JK. Disease management will suffer if providers remain on the sidelines. Dis
- de Brantes F, Gosfield AG, McGlynn E, Rosenthal M, Levin-Scherz J. Clinical practice
guidelines for older patients with comorbid diseases. JAMA. 2005;294(6):716-24.
- Levin-Scherz J, DeVita N, Timbie J. Impact of pay-for-performance contracts and network
registry on diabetes and asthma HEDIS(R) measures in an integrated delivery network .
Med Care Res Rev. 2006; 63(1):14S-28S.
- Levin-Scherz, J. “Collaborating to improve the quality of health care”. Boston Business
Journal. 2006 Mar 3;Sect. Editorial (col. 1).
- Levin-Scherz, J Levine, H “Ethical guidelines for employee behavior change” Health Aff (Millwood) 28:1554, 2009
- Levin-Scherz, J “The Care of The Uninsured in America” JAMA 303: 2414 , 2010 (Book reiew)
- Levin-Scherz, J “Next Medicine: The Science and Civics of Health” JAMA 305: 1244 ,
2011 (Book review)
- Levin-Scherz, J “What drives high health care costs and how to fight back” Harv Bus Rev 88:72, 2010
- Wrobel, E, Levin-Scherz, J. “US Health Care Reform” Captive Review 2010 (12):44
- Zimlichman, E, Levin-Scherz, J “The Coming Age of Disruptive Innovation in Health Care J Gen Intern Med 2013 Jan 18 (epub ahead of print)
- Delbanco, S, Najigal, M, Levin-Scherz, J “The Payment Reform Landscape: Maternity Progress and Stagnation” Health Affairs Blog, September 30, 2016
- Davenport TO, Levin-Scherz J. Employers Use Stress Diagnostics to Define Strategy and Guide Action. Benefits Q. 2017;33(1):28-32.
- Bremen, J, Jesuthasan, R, Levin-Scherz, J “Five Ways COVID-19 Will Forever Change Work” World at Work, May 15, 2020 https://worldatwork.org/workspan/articles/five-ways-covid-19-will-forever-change-work
- Levin-Scherz, J and Allen, D “8 Questions Employers Should Ask About Reopening” Harvard Business Review digital publication May 28, 2020 https://hbr.org/2020/05/8-questions-employers-should-ask-about-reopening
- Levin-Scherz, J, Noblick, J and Jones, JH, “How behavioral economics can help employers respond to COVID-19” Human Resources Executive, May, 2020 https://hrexecutive.com/how-behavioral-economics-can-help-employers-respond-to-covid-19/
- Levin-Scherz, J, Jesuthasan, R, Bremen, J “Should CEOs be in the Office Now?” Chief Executive Magazine, June 18, 2020 https://chiefexecutive.net/should-ceos-be-in-the-office-now/
- Levin-Scherz, J and Parson, T “The Paradox of Medical Costs During the Pandemic” Econofact.org, June 30, 2020 https://econofact.org/the-paradox-of-medical-costs-during-the-pandemic
- Levin-Scherz, J, Blumenfield, S, Stone, J “7 Ways COVID-19 Will Transform Health Care” CFO.com October 14, 2020 https://www.cfo.com/health-benefits/2020/10/7-ways-covid-19-will-transform-health-care/
- Levin-Scherz, J and Stone, J “Charting a New Course: Implications of the Pandemic for Health Plan Sponsors” Benefits Magazine, November 2020 [Link]
- Levin-Scherz, J “Strategies to Encourage Employees to Get COVID Vaccines” HR Executive, December 21, 2020 https://hrexecutive.com/3-strategies-for-right-now-to-encourage-employees-to-get-covid-vaccines/
- Levin-Scherz, J, Ostrovsky, A, Barkett, J “What Health Reform May Mean For Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance” Chief Executive, February 26, 2021 https://chiefexecutive.net/what-health-reform-may-mean-for-employer-sponsored-health-insurance/
- Jones, JH, Levin-Scherz, J, and Noblick, J “How Employers Can Reduce Vaccine Hesitancy” Harvard Business Review March 2, 2021 https://hbr.org/2021/03/how-employers-can-reduce-vaccine-hesitancy
- Levin-Scherz, J, Silver, A, and Nordquist, S “Evaluating New Health Plan Designs” CFO.com, March 24, 2021 https://www.cfo.com/health-benefits/2021/03/evaluating-new-health-plan-designs/
Chief Medical Officer, One Medical Group (2012-13) Chief Medical Officer, Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates and Atrius Health (2007-2008), Chief Medical Officer, Partners Community HealthCare, Inc (2004-2007), Associate Clinical Professor, Tufts Medical School (1997-2005)